Vegan skincare & make-up - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Ine

Vegan skincare & make-up

Hi everyone,

I started eating vegan a couple of months ago and want to change my whole lifestyle now. So I want to change every product I use to a vegan variant.

Regarding skin care:
I've unfortunately been using Estee Lauder products, which are great for my skin but I really don't want to purchase it anymore. I have a dry and sensitive skin, and after doing some research, I found products like REN and PIXI could be a good alternative. Does anybody have a good experience with one of these brands or maybe another suggestion?

For Make-up, I'm still a little bit lost. I'm currently using different brands like Chanel as foundation, Guerlain for powder, different brands for mascara, etc. I have tried body shop products, but my skin doesn't react good on the products. Does anybody have any good alternatives for make-up that are good for dry and sensitive skin?

It can cost a bit, but also not too extreme .

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I also have dry sensitive skin.

Recently I've been using coconut oil to cleanse my skin each morning. It's working really nicely, leaving my skin soft and smooth, no itching or irritation.

Place clean flannel / face towel in hot water, wring it out. Massage over face.
Take a half teaspoon of coconut oil in your hands, allow to melt, and massage into face.
Leave on for a bit while you're doing other things, or immediately refresh your flannel in hot water, wring out and massage off the coconut oil.
Dry face on a fresh dry towel.

Use your preferred moisturiser etc.
#3 Old 07-04-2017, 06:06 AM
Ine

Hi! Thanks a lot for the fast reply! I will indeed try the coconut oil to see how it reacts on my skin.

As you mention moisturiser, I still need to look for a good brand. What do you currently use?

#4 Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Coconut oil is irritating for many people. I can usually use it, but when I have seasonal allergies flaring up it does cause some irritation. Other oils are worth trying, if you already use olive oil try that the same way spudlika suggests. Grapeseed oil is usually tolerated well.
I have a vial of frankensense essential oil I've been mixing with oil that seems to enhance it's moisturizing properties. I bought it for the scent, but had to find out other uses! That was one!

Try oil with some sugar as an exfolliant. Don't scrub, but be gentle. The sugar will dissolve as you gently rub.

I've been using Shea Moisture anti aging creme. It's never bothered my skin as really does a noticable job tightening pores and leaving a matte finish, but it is for dry skin. I've liked all of their products, as well as ethics. As long as you're good with shea you'll probably like them. I haven't had any redness since, and my skin looks better overall.

I rarely use makeup but others here have sworn by Bare Minerals. They're vegan and I guess good for sensitive skin and coverage. I have a compact of Physicians Formula powder for when my nose gets red from allergies, and those sticky breath-right strips I like. I got it because of a free rebate though. It is also vegan
Spudulika likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 07-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ine View Post
Hi! Thanks a lot for the fast reply! I will indeed try the coconut oil to see how it reacts on my skin.

As you mention moisturiser, I still need to look for a good brand. What do you currently use?
I've had a lot of difficulty finding a moisturiser that works well for me. I find aloe vera based products are preferable to the more usual oil/water/wax base most commercially produced moisturisers are comprised of (I find they can be oddly drying). I used to use the Body Shop aloe vera moisturiser, but it is a bit thick and gunky. Left my skin hydrated though. Clearly based on your comments that's not a solution for you.

One of the best moisturisers I've used is one I've made myself from an emulsion of organic aloe vera and jojoba oil. Literally, just those two ingredients, whipped or shaken together until it goes white with a light creamy mayonnaise-like consistency (not runny at all). I don't have a fixed recipe, maybe 50/50 or in fact more like 30/70 oil to aloe vera, it can be fiddly getting it to emulsify. I will measure it next time.

Frankincense essential oil is supposed to be excellent for skin, I actually bought some to put in my homemade moisturiser! Though you can only use essential oils in small quantities.

Last edited by Spudulika; 07-04-2017 at 09:46 AM.
#6 Old 07-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ine View Post
Hi everyone,

I started eating vegan a couple of months ago and want to change my whole lifestyle now. So I want to change every product I use to a vegan variant.

Regarding skin care:
I've unfortunately been using Estee Lauder products, which are great for my skin but I really don't want to purchase it anymore. I have a dry and sensitive skin, and after doing some research, I found products like REN and PIXI could be a good alternative. Does anybody have a good experience with one of these brands or maybe another suggestion?

For Make-up, I'm still a little bit lost. I'm currently using different brands like Chanel as foundation, Guerlain for powder, different brands for mascara, etc. I have tried body shop products, but my skin doesn't react good on the products. Does anybody have any good alternatives for make-up that are good for dry and sensitive skin?

It can cost a bit, but also not too extreme .

Thanks very much!

PETA has a list of companies that make completely vegan personal care products: http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/vegan-companies.pdf

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page