• 1 Post By Ger Jonker
  • 1 Post By Ger Jonker
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 2 Post By Knowtions In Motion
  • 3 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 04-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Bandit

Beware Hellman's So-Called "Carefully Crafted Dressing"

I wasn't going to say anything about this because I am boycotting this product for my own ethical reasons (Hellman's tried to shut down Hampton Creeks Just Mayo by taking them to court for using the word mayo for a product without eggs, thankfully Hampton Creek won. But the fact remains that it happened and Unilever is the devil anyway).

However, I also didn't want to detract from any "mainstream" company offering a vegan product, because hey vegan needs to go mainstream, right?

Yet I noticed today while in the grocery store, when comparing Hellman's to Just Mayo, Just Mayo still contains higher quality ingredients but Hellman's is charging comparable prices for the same volume of mayo. They're trying to charge people for clever wording. I'm really disappointed that they didn't even bother to try to price competitively, or at least use similar quality ingredients.

So there's that.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Bandit

In case anyone wonders what I'm going on about, Just Mayo uses canola oil which has a better omega 3 to omega 6 profile than soybean oil, which is what Hellman's uses, because it's cheaper to obtain. Also while Just Mayo includes pea protein, Hellman's only uses potato and corn starches as thickeners. Finally, Just Mayo has a transparent ingredient list, while Hellman's uses the ever-mysterious corporate buzzword "natural flavor" in their nutrition label.

I'm not suggesting it's poison, or that no one should purchase it, but that I am now suspicious of their intent (is this an intentional suicide mission to make vegan products look ridiculous? Corporations have done this before. Clear Tab was a suicide mission from Coke, to make Clear Pepsi look ridiculous in the 90s, and it worked). I was thinking if their marketing was sincere (yeah good luck with finding that with Unilever anyway) that at least they'd charge people less money for a product that's obviously cheaper for them to make. Like "bargain vegan" for people who don't read labels.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about Hampton Creek since they launched their flavored spreads line, but I still find Hellman's actions questionable.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#3 Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not able to get either in Canada yet but I'd much rather support Just Mayo after all this hubbub.
Purp and Thalassa like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

#4 Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, but I also don't want the big mainstream companies to quit making vegan products.
Instead of just avoiding it, which I will do, write write write. Then call and email.

I think just from looking at the ingredients it's not going to be much like their mayo, and I wonder if they're really looking for it to fail? Most people are familiar with Hellmans mayonnaise. It's their top product. If people realize they like something that replaces it, they may start to demand other animal free products. Hellmans has plenty of egg and diary distributors to keep profitable- going egg and dairy free could hurt them.

My first experience with vegan mayo was Trader Joes fat free mayo, that used starches as thickeners and not very good. I've never tried Hellmens, but I love Just Mayo.
I'm just saying most omnis would choose the vegan Hellmans and probably base other vegan products based on their liking for Hellmans
Purp, Spudulika and Thalassa like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 04-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

This is slightly off topic, but Unilever, the makers of Hellmans, also make "I can't believe it's not butter". I do not and never have consumed this, but someone on another forum was asking if it was vegan, looking at the ingredients. The only ingredient that was really questionable was the "natural flavors". So I went to the Unilever website and looked up "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter". Their FAQ page clearly states that that product contains dairy in the "natural flavors", but nowhere on their packaging is this mentioned. In fact, cholesterol is listed at zero. To me this is deceptive practice, especially since there are so many people who avoid dairy due to severe allergies and intolerance. So if they are able to get away with this, why should I believe their "natural flavors" in their vegan version of Hellmans is really vegan?

I will personally NEVER buy any Hellmans product, and in fact, my non vegan partner also prefers and buys Just Mayo from Hampton Creek exclusively. He says he likes it better. I have gotten at least two other omnis at work to try Just Mayo and all of them were surprised at how good it tastes. But they were deterred by the cost. I think it depends on where you buy it though.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Argh! Depends where you buy it is right!!!! Like so many vegan foods, they get so taken advantage of pricing. I've seen 16 oz jars of Just Mayo cost almost $5, yet can buy a 32 oz jar at Target or Walmart for $2.99!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 04-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Argh! Depends where you buy it is right!!!! Like so many vegan foods, they get so taken advantage of pricing. I've seen 16 oz jars of Just Mayo cost almost $5, yet can buy a 32 oz jar at Target or Walmart for $2.99!
I've seen the same thing! I can buy it at Target MUCH cheaper than my local Whole Foods Coop, but it means I have to drive an extra seven miles. I'm guilty of hoarding Just Mayo at Target to last me a few months lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 AM
Beginner

Some of Earth Island's 'VEGENAISE' products are pretty tasty as substitutes for mayonnaise.

https://vegansupply.ca/collections/earth-island
Purp likes this.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Ger Jonker; 04-17-2017 at 05:56 AM.
#9 Old 04-17-2017, 06:16 AM
Beginner

Here's an organization that tries to give businesses an incentive to get them to sell products that consumers actually want. See: www.carrotmob.org
Purp likes this.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
#10 Old 04-17-2017, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I really don't care if the ingredients are slightly inferior to another brand, I just wish there was ANY damn decent-tasting eggless mayonnaise widely available in mainstream UK shops. All the vegan mayonnaises I've tried taste crumby and plasticky barring one brand; which is also stupidly expensive. As for a suicide mission, I seriously doubt it; the market for animal-free foods is booming and major companies are now starting to catch on.
Purp and leedsveg like this.
#11 Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

I haven't tried it yet, as we still have some veganaise on hand, but I recently noticed our Martin's store now has "Fabanaise" in stock. A regular and a flavored variety. From what I read at onegreenplanet.org, they partnered with a hummus producer to use their aquafaba in the making of it. Sounds like good stuff.
Purp and Spudulika like this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#12 Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion View Post
I haven't tried it yet, as we still have some veganaise on hand, but I recently noticed our Martin's store now has "Fabanaise" in stock. A regular and a flavored variety. From what I read at onegreenplanet.org, they partnered with a hummus producer to use their aquafaba in the making of it. Sounds like good stuff.
I recently saw Fabanaise at my local Whole Foods Coop also. I have not tried it yet though. I have used Veganaise in the past before Just Mayo came on the scene. I found it was ok, but too vinegary for me. I have also tried Spectrum eggless mayo (too bland for me), Nayonaise (horrible lol), Earth Balance Mindful Mayo (pretty much identical to Veganaise), and of course, homemade nut, avocado, and soy based mayo recipes. I LOVE homemade almond or cashew based mayo. Not a fan of soymilk mayo or tofu mayo. I once tried to make a white bean based mayo and made the mistake of trying it while out on a long distance mountain bike adventure. It was the one and only time I had to do number 2 in the woods...with mosquitos swarming around me.

#13 Old 04-29-2017, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I recently saw Fabanaise at my local Whole Foods Coop also. I have not tried it yet though. I have used Veganaise in the past before Just Mayo came on the scene. I found it was ok, but too vinegary for me. I have also tried Spectrum eggless mayo (too bland for me), Nayonaise (horrible lol), Earth Balance Mindful Mayo (pretty much identical to Veganaise), and of course, homemade nut, avocado, and soy based mayo recipes. I LOVE homemade almond or cashew based mayo. Not a fan of soymilk mayo or tofu mayo. I once tried to make a white bean based mayo and made the mistake of trying it while out on a long distance mountain bike adventure. It was the one and only time I had to do number 2 in the woods...with mosquitos swarming around me.
You aren't a bear, are you?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page