Vegan Products - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 AM
Beginner

Vegan Products

The marshmallows that are stocked on the shelves of mainstream grocery stores often contain a gelling agent that is derived from the connective tissue of animals.

Dandies all-natural marshmallows are 100% vegan, contain no high fructose corn syrup and are Non-GMO Project Verified.

See: www.dandiesmarshmallows.com

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Jonker View Post
The marshmallows that are stocked on the shelves of mainstream grocery stores often contain a gelling agent that is derived from the connective tissue of animals.

Dandies all-natural marshmallows are 100% vegan, contain no high fructose corn syrup and are Non-GMO Project Verified.

See: www.dandiesmarshmallows.com

This is wonderful news!

Trader Joe's marshmallows are also vegan: http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/marshmallows

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 04-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

I've never tried Dandies, but have had TJ's. They're more candy like, sugary, than how I remember regular marshmallows. I think I like them better, but avoid them, because I'm really trying to avoid sugar!

Gelatin is so pervasive. The worst case is finding a vegan supplement, at a good price, and it's in gelatin capsules. Algae DHA is of particular interest to me. I've been at a CVS seeing the words "vegetarian capsules" on fish oil capsules, and algae DHA-100% plant based in bovine gelatin caps! And such a dam good value! Prenatal vitamins I find with high levels of algae DHA, as well as other veg vitamins, in gelatin capsules. Finding vegan dha in vegan capsules doubles the price. this doesn't make sense since other veg capsule supplements aren't higher priced than their counter parts in gelatin caps.

In addition to gelatin, I'm finding more carmine, confectioners glaze (beetle secretions), in candy. My old favorite, Junior Mints, have confectioners glaze, and even trader joes cocoa nibs they sell at the check out! Cocoa nibs!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 04-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I do need to say to everyone, always check, never assume. I mean that on both ends- just when you think you'll never find something vegan you can come across one that is!
At Aldi, their fruit jels- in the four pack cups- are made with locust bean gum, a plant, not gelatin. And $1.00
Their chocolate chip cookies, at my store have been vegan, I guess others aren't. Their premade pie crusts used to have lard, lately they haven't. Wise onion rings, like Funyums, are vegan., as well as their onion and something chips

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 04-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Beginner

Re: Wine for Vegans

Although wine is made from grapes, not all wine is suitable for vegan consumption. You see, when wine is processed, impurities are gotten rid of by filtering the liquid through fining agents. These fining agents can be derived from animals. Some animal products that are used for this are albumen (egg whites), casein (animal milk protein), chitosan (derived from crustaceans), gelatin (boiled animal parts) and isinglass (derived from fish bladders).

So how do you know if a certain brand of wine is vegan-friendly or not? Maybe you can find out here:

www.barnivore.com/wine

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page