VeggieBoards banner

woman's stuff

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  LedBoots 
#1 ·
hey all,
my fiancé just moved to the US and has agreed to try to find animal-friendly products (where she is from, they were very difficult to find) including beauty products. I read the thread here about deodorant. This has been tough as she is kind of particular about this stuff. Any new suggestions I'm very interested in.
Also, I saw a thread on whatever the stuff is called that y'all leave in hair before you use a hair dryer. I've seen a few variations and like someone else, I can cross-reference caringconsumer etc but I have no idea what's good (and she doesn't do English so well yet). Please, any thoughts about good, CF products would be highly appreciated.
And finally, the big one....she is a tiny little thing and we're having trouble both with the CF thing and the size of this last item - pads for the time of the month. They have to be thin (not in thickness but as in not wide) and we are trying to avoid Always, Kotex, etc, etc.
Please, any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.
If someone here speaks portuguese, I'd LOVE to connect you so she can describe better what she's looking for. I know it's a long shot but what the heck?
Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This website should help her find personal care/beauty products brands. https://www.crueltyfreeinternational.org/LeapingBunny

Also, Whole Foods, and apparently Trader Joes sell a decent amount of cruelty free products. Check the label. A leaping bunny on it means the product is cruelty free, or it could simply say "No animal testing" or/and "no animal ingredients".

I speak Portuguese, by the way. Although living in Canada, I'm not sure how much help I can be for someone who's looking to find the products in the U.S. other than what I've already said in this post, but feel free to message me.

Reactions: AbirasDad
#3 ·
Lush is great for cosmetics and soaps, shampoo and conditioner.

Organix makes some vegan shampoo and conditioner, they have a leave in Moroccan Argan Oil conditioner.

Plain Argan oil is a nice alternative to moisturizer, or just to dab on ends of hair

I recommend she start using menstrual cups, I don't use disposable pads. If she thinks cups are too much, cloth pads exist, but cups would be more comfortable on the outside, if she likes thin pads

#4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I never heard of a menstrual cup but I'll have a look around. We've been to Trader Joe's (only once - she's only been here 2 weeks). We've been to Whole Foods. I've purchased several products for her to try. Of course she's learning what our products are and how they're packaged. She doesn't understand most of the labels and frankly, all the woman-speak on the labels...it's like 3 foreign languages here! :)
She's extremely stubborn so if she gets an idea in her head about what will or will not work, it narrows my window of options in a huge way.
I'll definitely try your suggestions..thank you both!!

#6 ·
OK well I hope you find what you are looking for. Also try Sprouts if you have one near by, it has more vegan or cruelty free beauty products than Trader Joes. It's kind of like Whole Foods, sort of.

A chain that sells menstrual cups is a hiking/camping store called REI. If you don't live near an REI you might also find the Diva cup at some sort of drug emporium. Otherwise, you can order online.

I recommend the smaller size of Diva cup to women who haven't given birth, even if over 30. I don't know about other brands. For me the Diva cup has worked well.

Kat Von D also makes vegan cosmetics, and here is a PETA list, as well, for beauty.

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty/completely-vegan-beauty-and-body-product-brands/

#7 ·
Thank you for the reviews link. We will check it out and I will try to translate. Boy what fun that is.

I am familiar with REI as I'm from the Northeast originally but the closest one is about an hour and 40 minutes from me. I'll find an excuse to be near one and we will check it out so that's a good tip - thank you.

I am familiar with Lush and PETA's list. These few items with her pickiness and my lack of knowledge re: women's CF items have made this tough to nail down.

Thank you all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
just a quick update since you all have been so helpful. There's a cool store called Lucky's Supermarket (some of you may have one as it's a chain) and they actually had a cup. No translation necessary nor one would have been necessary when I saw her facial expression in reaction to the idea. So, we'll have to work that one slowly. However, it was good to see. She's still being patient with the woman's stuff though the time is coming very near for her to put it to the test. She just walked over to show me that we found one that hopefully will be good (she didn't know I was writing this).
Thanks all.

#9 ·
I know this post is a little old at this point, but I just wanted to chime in.

I use Seventh Generation tampons and pads. You can find them at your local Target and most drugstores or grocery stores. Seventh Generation is Leaping Bunny certified as cruelty free. They also sell other household products such as dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, cleaners, etc. Here's their website: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/

As far as makeup goes, e.l.f. is an extremely affordable makeup brand that is cruelty-free and completely vegan. You can find their products at Target stores and most drugstores. I also LOVE the brand Pacifica. It's another cruelty-free and completely vegan line. They make everything from hair products, to makeup, to perfume. Their products can be found at Target and Ulta. Here's some links:
http://www.pacificabeauty.com/
http://www.ulta.com/
http://www.elfcosmetics.com/

I'm also Portuguese, and I can speak it a little if you need help with that, too. I hope this helps!

#10 ·
Thank you for all the info. I own Pacifica shave and a/s but did not know they do all those other goodies. I didn't know about e.l.f. I thought that I was familiar with Seventh Generation as I've used all kinds of their products for years from cleaning to laundry supplies, etc. I've yet to see the feminine products you referred to and that's the primary purpose of this thread. I will keep it keep your eye out for those products when we go to target. Our Publix supermarkets also carry Seventh Gen stuff i'm good no they take requests. So, if they don't have what we are looking for, I will ask. Thank you very much for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Good to know about Seventh Generation! :up: I didn't know they also had their own line of tampons and things.

I was going to mention e.l.f., as they are very inexpensive and of decent quality. I also use NYX for makeup.

I like to switch out brands for my cosmetic needs but I also love Shea Moisture (face washes, masks, creams, and hair care), method (hand soaps, body washes... even laundry detergents and cleaning supplies!), Attitude (hair care), Jason (hair + skin care, deodorant, etc.), and common good (cleaning supplies and laundry products). Most, if not all of these products I've been able to find at Target. If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall's in your area, you can find a lot of cruelty-free and vegan products there, too. Just be sure to check that the seals are on the products and haven't been tampered with. : )

#13 ·
I was going to mention e.l.f., as they are very inexpensive and of decent quality. I also use NYX for makeup.
Just so you know, NYX were acquired by L'Oreal, so while the NYX products themselves remain cruelty free, they are owned by a company that is not. For some people this is acceptable, but in case it's an issue for you, I thought I'd mention it ^_^

For myself, 100% vegan and cruelty free is what I look for, so e.l.f. makeup is what I use at the moment, but Kat Von D's line is 100% cruelty free, and is also moving to 100% vegan so I will likely be using her line at some point too!

#15 · (Edited)
I don't buy often buy products, and have taken to using sugar and oil for exfoliation, and Freeman clay mask weekly, but having a walgreens coupon tried this- and it's wonderful--
Shea Moisture is such a great company, led by women, with profits directly helping the communities. All vegan with exception of some baby products
I can feel, and see, a dramatic difference in my skin tone, and reduction of pore size. It feels light weight, non greasy, and kinda matte. I had been using coconut oil but I've been feeling like its causing me to itch and cause redness

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.