response from Beiersdorf (maker of Nivea, Eucerin) about animal testing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-28-2004, 06:19 AM
Beginner

I wrote to Beiersdorf, the company that makes Nivea and Eucerin, among other skincare products, to find out about their animal ingredients and animal testing policies. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting Beiersdorf Inc. regarding our policy on animal

testing. We appreciate your concern about the use of animals for testing.

Beiersdorf has been at the forefront of seeking alternatives to animal

testing. We have shifted our emphasis to in vitro test methods,

scientific literature reviews and past history to establish the safety of

our products. There is no animal testing conducted on Nivea or any of our

other skin care products.

Again, we appreciate and share your concern on this issue. As a

responsible corporation, Beiersdorf has been addressing this issue for

years and will continue to do so, just as we are also committed to

providing you with safe, high-quality products.

Cordially,

Sam

Consumer Relations

Beiersdorf Inc.

So it sounds like they aren't vegan, but they don't test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Beginner

That's what I'd heard. Thank goodness. I'd love for them to be vegan, but partway there is good. I absolutely need my eucerin. In 22 years it's honestly the only thing I've found that works. Not the lotion, incidentally--like every other lotion I've used, it burns my skin.

The cream is the only thing that helps my severe eczema.
#3 Old 06-28-2004, 06:49 AM
Beginner

Here's the response i got from l'oreal if anyones interested:

I write with reference and in response to your recent query. I would like to reassure you with regard to our policy on animal testing and illustrate our commitment.

· LOréal stopped animal testing on its entire range of cosmetic products fourteen years ago.

· Last year alone, we spent over £10m on funding alternatives to animal testing and have achieved some important successes, especially linked to the development of reconstructed skin models. These human skin models, developed from human skin cells by means of in vitro techniques, are used to obtain a better understanding of the biological mechanisms of skin and to evaluate the efficacy and tolerance of our products.

· For twenty years we have supported both UK and international research organisations in the search for alternative safety testing methods. Moreover, we have also co-operated with our competitors in this common objective.

Our pledge is to make products that are safe for humans and safe for the environment. We want all our customers to be sure that they or their families will not come to any harm.

However, your and indeed everyones confidence in safety is achieved because the chemical substances in cosmetics and, in fact, in most of the products that we use in our daily lives are legally required to have undergone compulsory safety tests which in some cases includes tests on animals. You may be interested to know that 99.7% of animal tests undertaken in Europe are for other purposes than cosmetics.

It is true that there are many different views and approaches to the issue of animal testing which we fully respect and understand. However, as is the case for the vast majority of other cosmetic companies we believe that a fixed cut off date is not an effective or practical means to reduce and eliminate animal testing. We believe firmly that dedicated scientific research into alternative methods is the only way which will enable chemical ingredient manufacturers in the future to stop all testing. LOréal does not undertake animal testing itself but we remain committed to achieving the goal of a future without animal testing through the development of alternative testing methods.

Please be assured that at LOréal we are aware of your concerns and we are striving to achieve a common objective. Like you we do not want animal testing and we remain fully committed to finding alternatives.

Thank you again for contacting us and giving us the opportunity to respond.
#4 Old 06-29-2004, 02:35 AM
Beginner

Wow, L'Oreal actually wrote a helpful letter! Shame other companies just try to convince people that animal testing is completely ethical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page