VeggieBoards banner

Cruelty Free Anti-perspirant? NO deodorants!

12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Symondezyn 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I am looking for a cruelty-free antiperspirant. Not a deodorant because I have seen enough of those, but it's not what I need.

I read that Dermadoctor has 3 of them, but it costs $28 and Fresh (who I have some suspicions about and have terrible customer service) has one that is $22.

I keep picking up the damn Dove one and putting it down because I don't want to give in. I looked at the Tom's one but it is unscented and still gives off a weird smell...

I realize that even contacts are tested on animals and I can't get a astigmatism type in the one cruelty free brand, but if I can find a cruelty free product for this...that isn't more than I make in a few hours at work...?

It needs to really be cruelty free not sold in China and not ingredient tested (Revlon). I don't care if the ingredients are vegan or not.

Thanks!!

#5 ·
Just to Clarify

I know this is an old thread, but just in case people are reading it for current advice, Certain Dri is not cruelty free. First of all, they are owned by Clarion. Secondly, they have made no commitment to leaping bunny to say they meet all the cruelty free needs that they require. It is important to know that PETA is not the BEST resource. I find a lot of their products they have on there are actually tested on animals.

Furthermore, it is up to you if this is important to you, but I do not buy from companies who's parent company tests on animals. I have heard the arguments that PETA, and even Leaping Bunny have made for buying these brands, but I cannot with good conscience put money into the pockets of Colgate or Clorox (Tom's of Maine and Burt's Bees respectively). There are several other companies that get on the lists who have parent companies who test on anima.s. Leaping Bunny does denote this, but really loses my confidence in it for supporting them.

I am still on a search for cruelty free antiperspirant myself. Luckly, most days, a simple deodorant works for me. But there are some days where I need a little more. I've taken to doing a lot of pit showers with a washcloth throughout the day. Certainly not ideal. I can't believe there aren't options out there. I have smelled the Jack Black, and it definitely smells like a man. No thank you! And I've still not found concrete evidence that they are cruelty free.

Good luck to all. Please post if anybody comes across something truly cruelty free... all the way up to the top of the company and whoever owns them... and owns them... etc. etc...

#7 ·
I know this is an old thread, but just in case people are reading it for current advice, Certain Dri is not cruelty free. First of all, they are owned by Clarion. Secondly, they have made no commitment to leaping bunny to say they meet all the cruelty free needs that they require. It is important to know that PETA is not the BEST resource. I find a lot of their products they have on there are actually tested on animals.

Furthermore, it is up to you if this is important to you, but I do not buy from companies who's parent company tests on animals. I have heard the arguments that PETA, and even Leaping Bunny have made for buying these brands, but I cannot with good conscience put money into the pockets of Colgate or Clorox (Tom's of Maine and Burt's Bees respectively). There are several other companies that get on the lists who have parent companies who test on anima.s. Leaping Bunny does denote this, but really loses my confidence in it for supporting them.

I am still on a search for cruelty free antiperspirant myself. Luckly, most days, a simple deodorant works for me. But there are some days where I need a little more. I've taken to doing a lot of pit showers with a washcloth throughout the day. Certainly not ideal. I can't believe there aren't options out there. I have smelled the Jack Black, and it definitely smells like a man. No thank you! And I've still not found concrete evidence that they are cruelty free.

Good luck to all. Please post if anybody comes across something truly cruelty free... all the way up to the top of the company and whoever owns them... and owns them... etc. etc...
Hi Gwen and welcome! Believe it or not, I have not used deodorant or antiperspirant in years and years. The only time I sweat much is during an intensive workout at the gym or when I am doing yardwork etc and I usually have access to a bath or shower after those. I guess I am fortunate as I like to put as little on my body or in my hair as possible.

I did however, out of curiosity google "vegan deodorant" and came up with this:
http://urbanvegan.net/deodorant-and-antiperspirant/#tab-con-12

http://www.vegan.com/deodorant/

I have seen Dessert Essence products at my local Whole Foods Coop but don't know much about them. Most of the other companies I have never heard of.

I have used on numerous occasions pure essential tea tree oil for my hair and bath, diluted with water and for a rinse use vinegar and water. I got lazy and started using Dr. Bronner's castile soap but recently they started adding palm oil to their products so no more of that. I wonder if the tea tree oil would work for a deodorant? It is a natural anti bacterial.

I hope you find something! What do you do now to get by?

#6 ·
This is certainly a problem for me... it's really confusing where to draw the line. I used to buy body shop years ago when it was an independent but now it has been bought up by a company which does test on animals. I think too the larger the expansion of the company the less likely they will be to fulfil their ethical ethos. Once a company moves to selling in China they will certainly already be testing on Animals.

It's also difficult from an individual standpoint to draw the lines, e.g some companies have 'vegan' items, specifically. So does buying those lines alone send the right message? Do we give a break to those companies who are trying to change... much like we did at some point in our own lives. Or do you have to boycott the whole company. I suppose it can depend on weather you are an activist or pacifist.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't know of any cruelty free antiperspirants but there is a Vancouver company that makes handmade vegan deodorant: https://hippypits.com I haven't tried it yet but I love their philosophy and the ingredients they use.

There is also a Canadian company http://greenbeaver.com that makes a deodorant I've been using successfully, even for hot yoga LOL. I also have their sunscreen and it's good too.

We use toothpaste from these guys: http://www.jason-personalcare.com/body-loving-products/oral

I have used the Desert Essence shampoo and it's very nice.

As for soap, I make my own now - there are way too many "vegan" products that contain palm oil these days, and I just kind of like the idea of keeping it as simple as possible. Chances are I'll be making my own everything at some point LOL.

ETA: I listed these companies because they are cruelty free, and none of them are owned by companies that test on animals. The products we use are vegan as well, but not 100% sure that every single product by Jason or Desert Essence are fully vegan. Green Beaver has a honey lip balm but that's the only product I know of that's not vegan by them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.