PURE spread - soya or sunflower? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-02-2004, 02:50 AM

I didn't manage to find any EB at ASDA, but i did see something called Pure, which was available in either soya oil, or sunflower oil.

But which one do i get?? I suppose it's just a matter of personal taste, but i haven't tasted either! So which do u guys prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2004, 02:59 AM

Sunflower! But I often buy soya Pure if it's significantly cheaper.
#3 Old 04-02-2004, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post

Sunflower! But I often buy soya Pure if it's significantly cheaper.

and do u prefer that to EB??
#4 Old 04-02-2004, 04:26 AM

I don't think we can get Earth Balance over here, Star. I've never seen it anyway.

Both the soya and sunflower Pure spreads are good, but sunflower tastes closest to regular margarine, so I'd go for that one
#5 Old 04-02-2004, 05:08 AM

Yeah I've never seen Earth Balance. I can't tell the difference between the two Pure options, but we generally get the Soya one because my g/f thinks it tastes better. And it has a bicycle on it. And the container is green. So many reasons!
#6 Old 04-02-2004, 05:14 AM

Personally I like the green one (the soya) best, but the sunflower has got less of a distinctive taste so you might want to try that one first.

I haven't seen it for a while but there used to be a blue one too (I can't remember what 'flavour' though - was it the organic one?). I really WOULDN'T recommend that. It tasted like Stork or something. Yucky.
#7 Old 04-02-2004, 05:42 AM

never seen or heard of EB!

I think the blue one is organic...

Sometimes I buy store's own brand if it's vegan. Sometimes the texture is extra fine but they've always been edible.

Vitaquelle organic is horrible and pale, my mum turned up here and dumped a tub on us, I gave it to the fox who loved it.
#8 Old 04-02-2004, 05:46 AM

I prefer the texture of the soya one to the sunflower one too. The sunflower version is a bit more oily.

Thank heaven's it's the weekend. I can't believe I'm sitting here, when I should be working, talking about margarine.
#9 Old 04-02-2004, 05:58 AM

It's friday: you should be working till at least lunchtime
#10 Old 04-02-2004, 06:25 AM

Margarine is far more interesting than work. Not only is it Friday but both of my bosses are off for the next 2 weeks, so this is my first Friday in 2 weeks of Fridays!
#11 Old 04-02-2004, 06:34 AM

depends what you're using it for. Spreading on bread? They're all good (better than any others i've found, sainsburys dairy free is just nasty)

Organic is the best all round, but is double the price. It tastes more like butter than the others, you can spread lots of it on bagels etc and enjoy the taste of it as well as thing you're putting it on.

Sunflower is pretty good for all things, has slightly less water content than organic so can be used for making toffee/caramel (the water in the organic one causes it to spit, and spitting boiling sugar is NOT good!). I use it mainly for cooking/baking.

Soya is pretty nasty. It's ok in sandwiches, but it does weird things to baking. At high temperatures it seperates out. Last time I made toffee and used it (for the first and last time!) i ended up with sugar syrup and slimey oil . I guess they added soya to try and make it more creamy.

A few years ago when it was launched they gave out free little recipe booklets. They obviously make them for different things, because the recipes used different ones depending on type. They also now say on the side of the pack what their uses are. As far as baking goes, the best stuff you can buy is margerine, not the crappy 'spread' they sell these days (margerine mixed with buttermilk to make it more creamy/butterlike, i remember when i turned vvegan and thought i could have 'I can't beleive it's not butter', and when i checked the ingrediants I really couldn't beleive it wasn't, butter is a major ingrediant!). I guess that the sunflower is closest to what margerine used to be 15 years ago.
#12 Old 04-02-2004, 08:26 AM

I've tried the soya one. I haven't tried the sunflower one. I'll have to give that a go sometime.
#13 Old 04-02-2004, 06:58 PM

You know your spreads flid. No doubt about that. Impressed am I.
#14 Old 04-02-2004, 07:00 PM

i doubt vitalite is vegan, but that's my favourite margarine. It's got vitamin D in it, and £5 says it's D3. But the rest of it seems pretty vegan to me.
#15 Old 04-03-2004, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

i doubt vitalite is vegan, but that's my favourite margarine. It's got vitamin D in it, and £5 says it's D3. But the rest of it seems pretty vegan to me.

Oh dear. Oops, I think it was actually Vitaquelle that arrived here.
#16 Old 04-04-2004, 08:53 PM

I like Suma margerines/spreads...

http://www.suma.co.uk/pages/organic-spreads.htm

I normally buy the sunflower one, -the soy-based spread has a nasty taste, in my opinion...
#17 Old 04-05-2004, 03:37 PM

is it vegan? and how's it to melt on potatoes??
#18 Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

is it vegan? and how's it to melt on potatoes??

Yes...both are vegan I can imagine they're pretty good on potatoes

The soy one has a minimal amount of trans fats, while the sunflower spread is completely non-hydrogenated, btw.
#19 Old 04-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Banned

I've not tried the soya one but i like the sunflower one - it tastes pretty much the same as dairy-based mararine to me.

Kerry x
#20 Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 AM

There's a blue one, a green one and yellow one, there all vegan at last check if I recall

correctly.

Its good spread anyway.... One of which is organic too!

The green one is soya which is cheapest (in the UK). Don't know about abroad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page