Male Over active Bladder - Looking for Holistic Relief - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Beginner

My fiance' and I are going to try to start him on a herbal regimen to help treat his OAB.  He's been on Rx pills from his doctor but, we want to see if there is an alternative option we can do to help control it and bc he is only 28 years old. We could some recommendations online about some vitamin combinations and herbals ones too. I wanted to start this thread bc I was curious if anyone else had any suggestion to help gain strength to his bladder.

V I would like to find this stuff But can not see to find it via Internet but, it sounds perfect V

Gosha-jinki-gan: One of the best-studied herbal remedies for bladder problems is gosha-jinki-gan, which is made from a combination of several different herbs. A couple of small studies out of Japan found that gosha-jinki-gan improved urinary urgency, frequency, nighttime urination, and quality of life in both men and women with overactive bladder. Based on animal studies, researchers believe this herbal supplement increases bladder capacity and reduces the number of bladder contractions via its effects on the nervous system.  

Buchu (Barosma betulina):South Africans have used preparations made from the buchu plant for hundreds of years to treat a number of different ailments, including bladder and kidney infections. The secret behind this medicinal plant likely lies in its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and diuretic properties. Buchu remedies may act like tonics to improve the overall health of the urinary system, according to Espinosa. "They nourish the bladder tissue -- make it healthier, more supple," he says.  

Cleavers: This herb gets its name from the small hooked hairs on its leaves that cause it to "cleave" -- or attach to -- anything that touches it. Cleavers is an ingredient in herbal remedies for treating urinary problems, in part because of its diuretic effect. It also acts as a soothing coating along the inside of the bladder wall that may protect against irritation -- one cause of overactive bladder, Espinosa says.  

Cornsilk: Gathered from the silky, hair-like threads of the corn stalk, cornsilk has been a remedy for urinary infections for so long that even the ancient Incas once used it. Cornsilk may have a soothing effect on the urinary tract.

Horsetail: This relative of the fern descends from gigantic plants that existed some 400 million years ago. Horsetail acts as a diuretic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant. It's been used to treat kidney and bladder stones, urinary tract infections, and incontinence, although there isn't much research to prove its effectiveness in humans.  

Saw palmetto: Several studies have focused on saw palmetto for urinary symptoms, particularly in men who have an enlarged prostate gland. Doctors aren't exactly sure how saw palmetto works, but they say its benefits might have something to do with its ability to fight inflammation, as well as its effects on testosterone levels (which affect prostate growth).  

Sometimes naturopathic doctors recommend herbal remedies to target the underlying processes that may contribute to an overactive bladder, including inflammation and oxidative stress. For inflammation, Espinosa recommends anti-inflammatory remedies such as bromelain or quercetin. To combat the oxidative stress that can irritate nerves surrounding the bladder, he advises his patients to take antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and alpha-lipoic acid.

Has anyone tried any of these?

" You are what you eat. I am not fear, despair, death, or pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Beginner

Um, I agree, looking at the base line of the constitution of someone, this is the basic step, along with diet. #1. what's going into the body? How does it affect the kidneys and liver? The bladder is one of the last places where toxins are expelled along with the bowels and the skin.

Further do read about the medications side effects and if it can be mixed with certain herbs, botanicals or tinctures of naturopathic remedies.

Tested for diabetes?

Clean up the artificial ingredients in the foodstuffs. Sweenteners, caffeine found in coffee, teas, chocolate/coco? Other diuretics? Carrageenan a toxic additive in foods. (read labels)

Recent studies have found that tumeric / curcumin is a powerful antioxidant, etc. google it. I take turmeric everyday, along with amla powder, cloves, cinnamon mixed in a little water and flax seed oil and swallow it down through a straw chased by water a few times between bites of food. *shrugs* There are many top antioxidants and foods out there. This website cites from medical journals and studies done and presented in short 3 min. videos by Michael Greger, M.D  http://www.nutritionfacts.org

Also a warning about Vit. E. do no take the one with d-L. Use the mixed topopherols (alpha, beta mixed with the full spectrum of E). The d-l is fractured/missing some of them and is harmful. (I found this Vit E. info in Suzanne Sommers book Knockout, a book about interviews with doctors who have cured cancers using a mix of alternative and conventional methods. etc. There are lots of tips for healthy natural prevention against toxins.

I hope this helps.Take what you like leave the rest. or just ignore me lol.

Sandee

#3 Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Beginner

Thank you for your input!!  

Since I've posted this he's been on a regimen of Multivitamin and Flax Seed Oil, and believe it or not he says it has been helping. It is not AS sufficient as the RX he was taking but, at least he's not getting any chest pain any more!! 

He read about taking Magnesium as well so I think he might start taking. 

He thinks he has cut back on his sugar but, I argue he has not. I feel he needs to cut out the cookie treat before bed, every night. But he'd say its not e v e r y  night. ha 

He's not diabetic, his blood sugar levels range normal.  Other then the OAB he's a poster boy a good health. 150lbs 6'2"

" You are what you eat. I am not fear, despair, death, or pain."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page