Soap Dilemma :'(((((( Lotion too.... - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Beginner

My favorite soap and lotion maker is going out of business. I stopped using anything else and I love her stuff. I started giving them to family members and they loved them too - I had planned on giving my mom a bunch of it for Mother's Day and today I get the email that she is no match for this economy and she is going out of business. Not only were her products cruelty free and free from parabens, pthalates, and all the the other junk - they were very moisturizing and smelled amazing.

I am still in shock and I know it may seem silly to some, but I know others will understand when you finally find an amazing product (in this case 2 big ones - lotion and soap).....ugghhhh!!! It's all I've used for a year now.

So yeah - I am open to recommendations! What is the best lotion and soap you've ever used?! I like thick icing type lotions - body butter types, but not whipped. And bar soaps with no sulfates, parabens, mineral oils, and all that jazz - with a yummy scent. I am not big into plant scents. I like food scents like vanilla and berries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Beginner

Just as I suspected...no suggestions....I'm screwed. Time to bust out the beer and baking soda and whip up a cleanser.
#3 Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Beginner

SheaMoisture makes some thick lotions/creams/butters. Most are vegan, all are animal testing-free, many are organic, etc.
Lush makes a variety of soaps and other body products. They're all vegetarian or vegan, organic, etc.
#4 Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Banned

Dr bronners has great soap, smells amazing.

Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer too, I use refined and add essential oils for scent
#5 Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Beginner

LUSH unfortunately has sulfates and some I think have parabens. But I'll check out the other stuff. Coconut oil may be the winner with lotion. Do you dig your hand into the jar or melt it down and pour it into a different container? Thank you both so much for the suggestions!
#6 Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Beginner

Many Lush products are entirely sulfate-free. You just have to check the ingredients. They make a lot of moisurizers and when I checked ingredients, none of the ones I looked at had sulfates. The shampoos are the ones with sulfates, not the moisturizers. Also, it's worth looking into the kind of sulfates. They're not all the same. Here is a treehugger article about it: http://www.treehugger.com/style/lush...e-shampoo.html

Anyway...
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo is cruelty-free and sulfate-free. So is California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo & Body Wash. I've used both (actually they're in my shower now) and they get me clean and nice smelling without drying out my skin or my family's skin. I also like Aveda products (I like the Dry Remedy shampoo and conditioner), Jason products, Avalon Organics products but I can't tell you about slufates for those off-hand. You'd have to check the websites and read ingredients. But they're all vegan and don't test on animals.
#7 Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganWoWer View Post

Coconut oil may be the winner with lotion. Do you dig your hand into the jar or melt it down and pour it into a different container? Thank you both so much for the suggestions!

I have a glass bottle w a pump top, when it's cool the oil is solid so I run hot water over the bottle to melt it. In the summer it's liquid most of the time.
#8 Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I have a glass bottle w a pump top, when it's cool the oil is solid so I run hot water over the bottle to melt it. In the summer it's liquid most of the time.

This is a great idea, I'm going to try it!
#9 Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Beginner

I may have to try coconut oil. Love coconut! And I love the idea of warming it in the winter. That sounds delightful!
#10 Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Beginner

Seconding Dr. Bronner's. They make liquid and solid soaps that are widely available. Not sure about moisturizer.
#11 Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Beginner

Oh, that's Great Sir !!
#12 Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Beginner

I'm on a quest for cruelty-free products in general. (I had no idea about the ingredients, etc, until 2 weeks ago--ignorant vegetarian). I am also on a very strict budget. $6 for a shampoo/conditioner I will burn through in 2 weeks (I have long, curly hair) is a bit too much atm. That said, I bought one of those Clearly Natural glycerin soaps for my hair. It will work well if I do a vinegar rinse, and then I can use a tiny bit of Nature's Gate conditioner as a leave-in, which will stretch it out over a couple of months. I need to find a styling product (again, I use a lot--long hair getting longer). As for lotion, I got St. Ives, but it's suspect as far as testing and if they really understand what animal ingredients are. I'm thinking of making my own; From Nature With Love (soapmaking supply online) has recipe database. Also, I looooove Yes to Carrots body butter. The company is vegetarian and against animal testing. The body butter makes a fab face moisturizer, and doesn't clog my pores. For just general soap, I pick up some kind of vegetable soap, which you can find anywhere. I prefer bar soap, aways have.
#13 Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Beginner

I use dr bronner's liquid castile soap because it's the only brand available here. it's a decent product if you can ignore all the offensive, nonsensical rants printed on every single white spot on the label.

I use bar castile soap for the face. There is a very inexpensive, gentle brand whose name escapes me. It has very few ingredients--no chemicals.

I use Palmer's coco butter lotion.

Beanitarian.
#14 Old 04-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

Dr.Bronner's must contain holy water, 'cause that **** burns me.
#15 Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Beginner

Actually my guess is...a little castile soap, very watered down, and overly scented with essential oil to make you think you are getting a high quality product. It is sooooo watery and so overly scented. Works fine though.

I find essential oils can have that burning sensation if overly used.

Or it could be the holy water , what with all the nonsense on the label. "Doctor" Bronner had mental problems. It's too bad they didn't take the rantings off the label after he died. It's not as though it's honoring his memory in a positive way. IMO

Quote:
Bronner's birth control method involves using lemon juice and Vaseline as a spermicide.

Beanitarian.
#16 Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Beginner

Dr. Bronner was a wise mental patient.

He escaped from the mental hospital and went to California to tell people about his "all one" philosophy, which if you think about it, makes a lot of sense.

He invited people to his home to tell them about his beliefs then gave them bottles of soap when they left, as gifts. As it turned out, the soap was more popular than his philosophy... but he used his soap to try to sell his beliefs.

He believed that everyone on spaceship earth would perish if we don't unite. Personally, I don't feel he was insane... just ahead of his time.

There's a movie about him too... more information and a couple videos here: http://www.squidoo.com/dr-bronner-soap-maker

Try to look beyond the fact that he was from a foreign land, and had trouble speaking and relating in English...

#17 Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Beginner

I never knew all that stuff, interesting.

As for burning, I am pretty sure the label says it's concentrated and to water it down.  The soap bars are good. 

I make my own soap now, can't get Bronners in the bush.

#18 Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Beginner

Make your own soap and lotion! That's what I do. I've made soap for 12 years. 

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page