Beginner

Opinions?

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I read it a few years back. I didn't mind it, I thought it was pretty humorous but I think it might be slightly off-putting to the more thin-skinned omnis. A lot of language in there. lol
#3 Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Beginner

Yeah, it was funny! Especially that one line about how some meat analogs are so good your pubes will fall out. Lol.

#4 Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Beginner

I read it when I was an omni and I remember being offended by it.(She says a lot about how you're basically a disgusting dirty person if you eat meat...I barely made it past the first chapter) My opinion of it now is a bit different, it's an entertaining read but also doesn't say much that I think we don't already know as veg*ns. Skinny Bitch in the Kitch is her cookbook, but I don't recommend it either. I think there's only 2 recipes in it that aren't basically an omni recipe but using tons of faux meat and daiya. I already know how to cook like an omni, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
#5 Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Beginner

I don't really care for the language. It just wasn't funny to me. I lent it to a friend and she went vegan after reading the chapter about the horrors of factory farms. So that's nice.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#6 Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Beginner

I didn't like it. I had no problems with the swearing but I found the rest of it to be totally offensive. The whole tone of the book in condescending, insulting, and downright bitchy and somewhat abusive. It certainly lives up to it's name.

I had already been a veg*n for over 15 years when I first read the book so I found it all to be common sense and not informative at all. Like Limes mentioned, their "cookbook" is nothing more than faux meat products and vegan junk food "recipes" that a 7 year old can make. It might be a good book if you need to know how to microwave a veggieburger and put it on a bun or how to place a piece of vegan cheese in between two slices of bread to make a vegan cheese sandwich. But hey at least they're keeping up with their theme of treating their "big, fat disgusting pig" audience like idiots .

For some reason it has converted a lot of people so I guess it has been successful even though I don't understand it or agree with it.
#7 Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

I didn't like it..
very informative, but seriously....it put me off..
#8 Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Beginner

I liked the directness of the book however I can acknowledge that their style would not suit everyone.

I read it as a vegetarian and while it was some time after than I chose to be vegan I do think that some of what I read influenced and assisted me. After I finished I passed it to an omni friend and, as you would expect, it was more confronting for her. That said she did at least give up dairy, veal and chicken while reading the book and has not gone back to it.

For me SB is one of those books that I occassionally pull out and read a random chapter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#9 Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Beginner

I'm kinda thinking I want to read it now, lol.
#10 Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Yeah, it was funny! Especially that one line about how some meat analogs are so good your pubes will fall out. Lol.

Since when is that a good thing?

I never read this book, the title is too off-putting.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#11 Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Beginner

From what I understand from the wife, it's full of factual errors as well.

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#12 Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Like the pubes falling out? Because I've eaten plenty of meat analogues and I've never had that happen to me.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#13 Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

It is. They got so much of their information from PETA, which isn't a reliable source.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#14 Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Since when is that a good thing?

I never read this book, the title is too off-putting.

Its not a good thing for food to make your pubes fall out! If that happened to me, I would avoid said food permanently.
It's the completely unexpected phrase. I wasn't actually a fan of the deliberately crude, attention-seeking language. But that line caught me so off guard, I laughed aloud ans haven't been able to forget it.
I just picture this cartoon skinny girl with bugging eyeballs, a wide open mouth, and hair fluffing off everywhere because she is so AMAZED.

#15 Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Not only filled with factual errors but also hypocrisy. I cringe everytime I hear about someone giving this book to their young teen to read.
#16 Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

I never read it - the title and info blurb put me off - but I knew an omni woman who read it, or at least some of it. When starting it, she kept on saying things to others such as, "This is so funny. I can't wait to read this. Who cares about the title? Don't be such a prude."

She ended up not finishing it, refusing to talk about it, saying, "I just didn't like it, okay?"....and she went on eating meat and went into a leather-accessory buying phase shortly afterward.

Go figure.
#17 Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Not only filled with factual errors but also hypocrisy. I cringe everytime I hear about someone giving this book to their young teen to read.

Yep. "You're a fat cow...love your body!"

Jean-Paul Sartre
#18 Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Yep. "You're a fat cow...love your body!"

Exactly. It sends horrible messages to young people especially females.
#19 Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Exactly. It sends horrible messages to young people especially females.

While I appreciate that they are trying to spread veganism, I don't like how they went about it.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#20 Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Beginner

I picked it up casually because I was looking at diet books. I was omni at the time. I looked past the offensive language and the chapter on factory farming--particularly the part about the abused pig--totally made me cry. I went veg after that. Now when people ask why I don't eat animals, I say "I feel sorry for the pigs." It's a kind of tongue in cheek answer. But yeah, I was really upset by that story.
#21 Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Beginner

I've got the skinny bitch cookbook, and I reckon it's worth the price just for the pancake recipe. Yum!

I don't like that she uses tonnes of faux meat though...
#22 Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Beginner

Well I'm glad you at least got one good recipe out of it. I think that "cookbook" is horrible. I can't even really call it a cookbook considering the majority of it is instructions on how to put together a sandwich with mock meats and cheeses or how to assemble a veggieburger.
#23 Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Beginner

I saw an even worse diet book the other day. I saw it in the bookstore and wanted to rip the cover off it. But then I remembered that I dont want a criminal record.
#24 Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Banned

I thought this book was ridiculous. they keep repeating "use your head".... so.. if I "use my head" why the hell would I listen to them? They are an ex-model and a what?? what qualifies them? and their cookbook- trash. As said before a 7 year old could come up with that.

PETAs cookbook was trash too. maybe they got together to write their cookbooks.. hahahahaha
#25 Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Beginner

That was the first book I read when I started eating a vegetarian diet, and it was a real wake-up call for me. I tend to disagree with some of the information now, like their use of processed meat substitutes, but it's still a favorite of mine for sentimental reasons, and their no BS attitude. 

#26 Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Beginner

Wanted to also say I have their cookbook, Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, which I don't care for. Luckily it came in a box set with Skinny Bitch, so I can tell myself I didn't really spend any money on it,) I like the cookbook Kim wrote on her own, Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday much better, and she also has a home and beauty book too that I like, but the original Skinny Bitch cookbook? Not a fan of it.

#27 Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post

I picked it up casually because I was looking at diet books. I was omni at the time. I looked past the offensive language and the chapter on factory farming--particularly the part about the abused pig--totally made me cry. I went veg after that. Now when people ask why I don't eat animals, I say "I feel sorry for the pigs." It's a kind of tongue in cheek answer. But yeah, I was really upset by that story.

Exactly the same. I just wanted a diet book. And now it's changed my perspective considerably. I haven't finished it yet, and I'm not sure I want to, but I'm pleased they opened my eyes to the meat industry.

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” 

#28 Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Beginner

Having heard about this book after trying the "hungry girl" website and cookbook when i was omni, I thought it would be similar.

Lets say it made me remember when I was called almost morbidly obese. Fat people are still people too... skinny bitch. Made me sickened and brought up bad memories in her way of speaking. Yes I believe in animal rights, but why abuse your fellow human if they are already willing to convert and agree with the logic of animal welfare and its ethics??

Nyamooo! Nyama nyaamaaaa nyamma nyamma nyamooo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page