Thinking about buying a used vitamix, thoughts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Beginner

I can afford a new one, however it would save me 225$ if I buy used
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/for/2778312450.html
It's an older model than the one I would get on amazon, but as long as it works, makes soups, smoothies, sauces, dressing, it doesn't really matter to me.
I'm still a little weary though, if it doesn't work I'm out 175$. Should I get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Beginner

No, vitamixes are great for people who have more money than they know what to do with and want to have the latest and greatest of everything, but a fairly standard $100 food processor will work just as well (if not better, due to the larger base) for 99% of applications.

For particular applications, specialized devices generally work better than over-powered generalists, and are cheaper.

If you're grinding flax seeds or other things like that? Coffee grinder: $20 (high speed application and low volume)
If you're making soup or sauces? Food processor $50 - $100 (moisture tolerant, larger base, capable of chopping and shredding easily)
Nut butters for smooth sauces and dressings? Peanut butter maker: $30 - $50 (will grind up the nuts more effectively than any standard blade apparatus- mix for final consistency in the food processor) EDIT: A food processor can also make nut butters, it's just kind of a pain.

And I should add:

Soy milk maker: About $100 and will make soy and nut milks, as well as soups and smoothies (with a non-heating setting).

Also: Many food processors have blender top attachments (the good ones in the $100 range) which will do well for fruit smoothies if you want to be able to pour them out directly. You just have to change the attachment to the bowl to do other things.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#3 Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Beginner

I have a Ninja and I love it. As far as I know, it does everything the Vitamix does except make hot foods. I even make ice cream in it w/ frozen bananas, varied frozen fruits, and a little soy or almond milk. I only paid $50.00 for it (QVC).

Laura
#4 Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Beginner

I have a Ninja and I've noticed the blades are dulling after having it for exactly 1 year. I do use it everyday though. I was thinking of a Vitamix but they're really exspensive so I'd rather get something that serves many perposes. So mayhaps a food processer... I would use it for daily green smoothies, soups, hummus, and peanut butter. Oh yeah and grateing. I could really like the grateing blade.

Audrey
#5 Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Beginner

I had spent much time on ebay checking vitamixes. There are so many model 3600's from the early 70s. I entered a winning bid on a sleepless night and won a 3600 that lived up to it's spotless description. It really does have a monster motor, and the cast iron and steel are bound to outlive any food processor or blender of today.
I paid $130.00 which includes shipping.
I guess I was particularly lucky, but then there a lot of unused kichen appliances that just sit unused on counters to be inherited.
I use it a lot. Greens get ground in smoothies, nuts emulsified, soups pureed and hot. I don't do things like nut butters-it is very hard to scrape pasty things from the blades as it is narrow. It's very easy to clean-rinse and fill with a drop of soap and run, then rinse.
I wouldn't give up, but I'd continue my search. I don't know if I'd trust a restaurant used one.

Check out the other vitamix threads
#6 Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Beginner

I still can't decide what type of blender to buy. I need one that can handle ice, frozen bananas and greens. I want it primarily for smoothie making and I want it to last.
#7 Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Banned

Actually, you will only save about $138 compared to a brand new one on this site:

http://www.livingdirect.com/Vita-Mix...efault,pd.html

If it were me, I'd save up a for a new one. I think the warranty is transferable, but obviously the used one will have a shortened warranty. And you really don't know how much the used one has been used. He admits it was used in a commercial setting. It may have been through a lot.
#8 Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Beginner

Im posting because I read the comments below and someone like myself may see this long after it was posted. Here is the deal with the Vitamix....you DONT have to be a person with more money than you know what to do with to appreciate a great machine! As a people we buy junk at a cheep price only to buy more junk a year or two later. If you are not serious about juicing and becoming healthier dont spend the money. Period. However, if you want to get all the nutrients fro raw foods you need to extract them from the plant. Most "juicers" leave behind a LOT of pulp thereby leaving behind a good portion of nutrient. If you have watched any of the several films about being healthy and getting your needs met with real food than this is the machine for you. A little about me- I am a stay at home Mother of 4 children 3 girls 1 boy. 2 of my children are special needs. Not severe but enough that nutrition is one way we are dealing with their issues. I am overweight. My husband is an accountant and is at a desk all day and is over weight. I take meds for depression, anxiety and Rheumatoid arthritis. I do not sell for the company. We went to visit my parents and they were excited about their new purchase-a vita mix. I used it while I was there and fell in love with it. It has taken me one full year to get the money to buy one. Here are some of the plus selling points for me #1 It extracts 100% of the raw plants goodness for your body.

#2 by extracting and juicing your body/bloodstream can absorb all of the nutrients your body needs to function

#3 Because of #2 you need less food to feel full, to be sustained and to start to feel better.

#4 This is probably one of the BIGGEST reasons for me to buy THIS product- IT IS SUPER EASY TO CLEAN! No parts to take apart and scrub. No parts to brake off, After use I put hot water and a little soap and run the machine and even with Chia seeds, walnuts, agava or honey it cleans itself.

#5 The lifetime warrenty that comes with each machine. They know it is a good product and will stand behind it to the very end. 

#6 After a certain period of time in the high position it becomes hot and you can make soup with all the goodness of fresh veggies and not even turn on your stove! We made pancake batter from scratch, we ground sirloin to make patties, and SO much more!

There are many more great points about the Vitamix. Do your homework before you buy. Dont get stuck behind the thought that more expensive is worthless and only for rich people. Hopefully in a few months I can come back and tell you an amazing story about our family and the changes we have made. I will also say that in the year waiting I had a Nutri Blast that has been a heaven sent for us. If it is just you at home, that may be the way you want to go.

Rebecca Altman

#9 Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

No, vitamixes are great for people who have more money than they know what to do with and want to have the latest and greatest of everything, but a fairly standard $100 food processor will work just as well (if not better, due to the larger base) for 99% of applications.

For particular applications, specialized devices generally work better than over-powered generalists, and are cheaper.

If you're grinding flax seeds or other things like that? Coffee grinder: $20 (high speed application and low volume)
If you're making soup or sauces? Food processor $50 - $100 (moisture tolerant, larger base, capable of chopping and shredding easily)
Nut butters for smooth sauces and dressings? Peanut butter maker: $30 - $50 (will grind up the nuts more effectively than any standard blade apparatus- mix for final consistency in the food processor) EDIT: A food processor can also make nut butters, it's just kind of a pain.

And I should add:

Soy milk maker: About $100 and will make soy and nut milks, as well as soups and smoothies (with a non-heating setting).

Also: Many food processors have blender top attachments (the good ones in the $100 range) which will do well for fruit smoothies if you want to be able to pour them out directly. You just have to change the attachment to the bowl to do other things.

A Vitamix can do everything all those appliances listed can - and do them better, and still do more!

A food processor with attachments that can rival a vitamix costs more than $100. and is a pain to clean -  therefore won't get used as much.

Jayhawkfamily post is spot on.

I will say the Ninja is pretty good, and worth considering if money tight. I got the original one with the small processor and blender for about $60. before my vitamix. 

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page