Mock meat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Beginner

So mock meat seems to be something good for new veg*ns. So what kind would you suggest to a new veg? I want something that doesn't taste exactly like meat. I was told about Morningstar? Is that any good?

Don't try to steal my style. You'll go insane before you make it to where I'm at buddy.

Musicianary = Revolutionary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Ira
Banned

i never found morningstar in my local stores but i heard it is very good. people said mock chicken is the best from morningstar. i like Licks veggie burgers a lot and the yves sausages (but sausages have to be done with some nice sauce in my opinion)
#3 Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Beginner

What are you calling "mock meat"?
I love the Gardein seven grain nuggets, Gardein chik'n scallopini, and Boca chik'n patties. I always have.
For burger type patties, I just make my own with mashed beans, grains, veggies and maybe gluten.
I don't like them always referred to as mock meat. They're just different ways to make beans and things.
There are some pretty nasty ones IMO, that try to simulate meat.
I've had vegan "beef" (seitan) and broccoli that tasted and felt so much like Chinese take out I had to spit it out.
#4 Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Beginner

Most mock meats' main purpose is to mimic meat in taste and texture. Other than that, it's good convenience wise and nutritionally in terms of protein (for most of them).

I like the Gardein, Melissa (for soyizo and taco meat) and Boca brands. But that's because they mimic meat best. If you're just looking for something to replace the meat in things like burger, Don Lee farm has a pretty good non meaty patty.
#5 Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Beginner

Morningstar is definitely my favorite, i like all of their stuff i always have the original grillers and chik'n grillers in my freezer.
#6 Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

Boca is good and I believe mornigstar doesn't have many vegan options. Boca has a vegan burger and chik'n patties. The burger reminds me of mcdonalds and it's good, and the chik'n is exactly like chicken in texture and taste, just without the gross fatty imperfections and without the meat
#7 Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Beginner

I personally only like veggie mince. I've tried having veggie burgers, hotdogs, 'wings', and sausages and they were all disappointing. I usually get Yves regular ground for my tacos, and that is all. Experimenting is key!
#8 Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Beginner

I keep a stock of Vegetarian Plus vegan black pepper steak (wow!) & 'tuna' rolls, and Sophie's kitchen 'seafood' varieties in the freezer...they're my faves. Our omni guests love them too!
#9 Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Beginner

I like MSF black bean burgers, MSF Sausage patties, Boca Chicken Patties and Nuggets,.....I am not their biggest fan and have a soy allergy and have to be careful w/what I eat but do like it tucked away in the freezer for a quick meal or snack.

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#10 Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Beginner

I agree with silva, gardein brand mock meats are pretty tasty, and they are healthy too. My guilty pleasure are the soy delight vegan nuggets sold at a local Earthfare grocery near where I live. They are really expensive, but they just taste so good I usually buy them weekly, and use them in any recipe that calls for chicken. Also, i love the tofurky brand Italian sausage and kielbasa. I usually use the Italian sausage in spaghetti and just dice it up. It tastes great and all of these things i mentioned are vegan.
#11 Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Beginner

I love Amy's kitchen burgers...so yummy...most of their frozen meals are pretty good, and organic so i dont feel bad about having them in the freezer for those nights we are running to 5 places at once....just be careful some of the meals are vegan and some have dairy in them.
I get the MSF chix nuggets and pattys for my kids and they will gobble them up but not meat ones...a fact i point out to anyone who questions protein consumption
#12 Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Beginner

I love Dr. Preagers veggie Burgers. You can get them for $3.49 at TJs.
#13 Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Beginner

Morning Star is also my very favorite...it tastes very good. Also, I like Boca burgers. Try them.

www.TheAnimalRightsBlog.com
#14 Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Beginner

Quorn's pretty good too -- it's made from mushroom protein (a.k.a. Mycoprotein). They make a killer gruyere chick'n cutlet. I also LOVE VeggieBrothers.com. It's pretty expensive for a single order, but it's well worth the money. Their (Beef) Wellington supreme is unbelievable, and the herbed chick'n cutlet tastes like Thanksgiving dinner. Great stuff.

And wheat roast/field roast (made from wheat gluten, aka seitan) is one of my favorite things ever. There's an artisan version sold at Central Market for $6-7 that I saute in olive oil and use in place of lamb meat for gyros. YUM.

www.WhyBecomeAVegetarian.com
#15 Old 10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Beginner

[QUOTE=BenjyPortnoy;3003422]Quorn's pretty good too -- it's made from mushroom protein (a.k.a. Mycoprotein).

I loved Quorn too but now I'm vegan its bye, bye quorn.

http://greatestguidetolivingcrueltyfree.blogspot.com
Author of Living Cruelty Free available on Amazon UK in paperback & Kindle USA paperback & Kindle & Canada as well as The Book Depository  

#16 Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Beginner

I wish we could get Amy's Kitchen stuff in the UK. I've heard their version of macaroni and cheese is amazing.

http://greatestguidetolivingcrueltyfree.blogspot.com
Author of Living Cruelty Free available on Amazon UK in paperback & Kindle USA paperback & Kindle & Canada as well as The Book Depository  

#17 Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Beginner

Back home, I just used to eat Quorn which I've always found a little tasteless. Since moving to Manchester though, I've discovered an awesome independent vegetarian and vegan cafe/shop. The mock meat they sell in there is delicious I'm not entirely sure what brand it is but the next time I go in, I will definitely find out!
#18 Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Beginner

These are my favorites:
Gardein seven grain crispy tenders and madarin orange crispy chick'n
Field Roast Celebration Roast
Tofurky deli slices and brats

However, I've seen lots of nonveg*ns, newly vegan people, and old timer vegans who dislike the products I like. We all have our preferences.
#19 Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

These are my favorites:
Gardein seven grain crispy tenders and madarin orange crispy chick'n
Field Roast Celebration Roast
Tofurky deli slices and brats

However, I've seen lots of nonveg*ns, newly vegan people, and old timer vegans who dislike the products I like. We all have our preferences.

I love the gardein orange mandarin, too, but my son adores the big vegan burger by them. It is unbelievable on the grill.
#20 Old 10-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Beginner

Field Roast sausages and frankfurters are my favorites. Tofurkey deli slices and brats are tasty as well. Morningstar riblets are delicious.

I'm still searching for the gardien big vegan burgers, but no luck so far.
#21 Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Field Roast sausages and frankfurters are my favorites. Tofurkey deli slices and brats are tasty as well. Morningstar riblets are delicious.

I'm still searching for the gardien big vegan burgers, but no luck so far.

My local supertarget has them!
#22 Old 10-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

My local supertarget has them!

Mine doesn't. Our WF says they're coming soon, so I'll just have to wait patiently.
#23 Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Just wondering how healthy these mock meats are? Recently I tried the pulled bbq from trader joe's and was so grossed out by it. maybe because i'm not big on bbq to begin with. I only bought it because I was going to a cookout and didn;t want to stick out like a sore thumb...which I did anyway! haha!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page