What perfume do you wear? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Anyone have a favorite cruelty-free/vegan one?

I have two I'm using at the moment: Lush Imogen Rose and Urban Decay Revolver. Out of the two Imogen Rose is more typical of the type of scent I normally wear, an innocent floral type scent (but you have to spray it on and give it a chance to warm up -- it doesn't smell floral right out of the bottle.) Revolver is more unusual, but I really love it. It starts out fruity (pineapple is what I think it smells like when I first put it on) and it dries down to a more oriental/spicy fragrance. Both scents are really great and last a long time.

I'm always on the lookout for new perfume though (my usual MO is to use up one bottle and then buy another; I'm not the "signature scent" type.) So I'm curious to hear what everyone else wears, if anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

deleted

#3 Old 03-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I love vanillary!! I bought a bottle in the sale, it has run out and I can't afford another yet since I'm now unemployed. My mum has some orange blossom lush perfume that I borrowed but I didn't like it much.

#4 Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I'm sensitive to most perfumes. They give me a headache and nausea (sometimes bad enough to vomit). Most people take this as a personal insult, and that I am insulting their choice in scent, in the figurative sense of "makes me sick," when in fact perfume ACTUALLY makes me physically ill. It has to be some chemical(s), it doesn't matter if I like the scent or not.

Me too. My mother wears Estee Lauder crap that makes my head throb when she walks in a room.

I don't have the same reactions with solid perfumes and most roll-on oils.
For solid perfumes, I like Karma (by Lush) and Ruby Guava (by Pacifica). The only tricky thing about those is they get melt-y when its hot!

I like the roll-on oils made by Auric Blends. Their sandalwood scent is wonderful!

Both solids and the oils last longer and are less expensive than most other spray perfumes! Score!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Ruby Guava (by Pacifica). The only tricky thing about those is they get melt-y when its hot!

I like the roll-on oils made by Auric Blends. Their sandalwood scent is wonderful!

Oh yes, I love both of these! I must have half a dozen or more scents from both companies, and some roll on perfumes by Aveda, a set of four scents that come from cactus blossoms. None of them are overpowering, and I always get compliments from people about how good I smell. No one is supposed to be able to smell your perfume til they get close anyway. If they can smell you ten feet away you have overdone it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 03-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Oh yes, I love both of these! I must have half a dozen or more scents from both companies, and some roll on perfumes by Aveda, a set of four scents that come from cactus blossoms. None of them are overpowering, and I always get compliments from people about how good I smell. No one is supposed to be able to smell your perfume til they get close anyway. If they can smell you ten feet away you have overdone it.

I wish more people understood this. I don't wear perfume but I know a lot of people like it. It is weird when you are out hiking and you meet someone on the trail and you continue to smell them after they have passed. Yuck.
#7 Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Most perfumes don't smell good on me... they react badly with my natural chemicals or something, and 99% of them just end up smelling like cat pee. I've only ever had two that have smelt good, and one's in a little bottle with no label so I have no idea where it's from or what it's called. The other is DKNY, and I'm guessing not cruelty free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

deleted
#9 Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I wish people would go easy on their perfumes. 1-2 sprays in the morning is enough (from a distance, walk into it), the scent lingers alllll day. My Aunt (the one we're disowning) puts on too much and smells horrible (burns my lungs). When customers come in with heavy perfume, I gag. Ew.

I'm not sure if it's vegan, but I love Victoria's Secret Halo. Sadly, I believe it was discontinued Desire (VS) is my runner up favorite.
#10 Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Can anyone tell me why you shouldn't wear an essential oil on your skin? I bought a cheap vial of sandalwood oil and used it quite a bit before noticing the label saying "not to used on skin ..."

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 03-19-2011, 08:19 PM

My favorite scent is Amazing Grace by Philosphy. I'm pretty sure they're cruelty free. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me and i will quit using their products.

Laura
#12 Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Can anyone tell me why you shouldn't wear an essential oil on your skin? I bought a cheap vial of sandalwood oil and used it quite a bit before noticing the label saying "not to used on skin ..."

They may burn, or cause other kinds of irritation. Lavender and tea tree are the only oils I've read that are safe to use neat, and even those can irritate some people.

I think it's a case of try and see though. If it doesn't irritate you, it's probably safe. I use peppermint oil neat too, for headache relief, and have never been hurt by it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#13 Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 PM
mlp
Banned

Perfumes (and men's colgnes) give me the same feeling I get when I get motion sick, and being in a confined space with someone who's been too liberal with the application of scent makes me feel sick for the rest of the day. I used to occasionally encounter a perfume I could tolerate, but I stopped wearing them a long time ago, after I thought about the effect on my cats' and dogs' sensitive noses.
#14 Old 05-08-2011, 03:01 PM

I usually use body butters, but will dab or spritz on my way out if I'm planning on an all day thing. Right now for spring, it's Kai perfume oil or Honore Des Pres Vamp (tuberose) EDP. I prefer sweeter (but not cloying) vanille scents in the winter.
#15 Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the one that I love...
http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...090358.4342146

I'm not much on flowery scents...I always seem to prefer the more 'foodie' scents for some reason...lol.

Here is a link to the ingredients listing...I'm really not sure if any of those are non-vegan or not~~
http://www.bigelowchemists.com/produ...oducts_id/6239
#16 Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Perfumes (and men's colgnes) give me the same feeling I get when I get motion sick, and being in a confined space with someone who's been too liberal with the application of scent makes me feel sick for the rest of the day. I used to occasionally encounter a perfume I could tolerate, but I stopped wearing them a long time ago, after I thought about the effect on my cats' and dogs' sensitive noses.

This is so interesting that you mention this...because I've felt this way many, many times & just thought it was me??!!
It does remind me of a motion sickness kind of queasiness to my stomach though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page