St Ives...cruelty-free? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Beginner

I'm almost out of face scrub; I currently use the St Ives brand which says on the tube "Not Tested On Animals" but I am concerned that it may be tested on animals prior to the "final product" phase or that it may contain animal ingredients.

Does anyone have any info on this? I Googled it but am getting conflicting information. St Ives also does not appear on PETA's cruelty-free list.

Also, if someone can recommend a good mass-market facial scrub (i.e. one I can buy at a mainstream store, nothing hideously expensive) I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Beginner

I think you'll need to contact them; St Ives was acquired by Unilever a few months ago so their testing policy might change.
In the past i've used scrubs from Queen Helene, pH beauty labs (totally juicy, freeman), and got2b. I've also heard baking soda works well.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#3 Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post

I think you'll need to contact them; St Ives was acquired by Unilever a few months ago so their testing policy might change.
In the past i've used scrubs from Queen Helene, pH beauty labs (totally juicy, freeman), and got2b. I've also heard baking soda works well.

Baking soda works well but it does not store well in a humid bathroom.
#4 Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Beginner

I hope so, I use that stuff for body wash. I really like it too, so I hope it's ok.
#5 Old 01-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Beginner

FWIW, I have e-mailed St. Ives several times and never received a response.
#6 Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

Baking soda works well but it does not store well in a humid bathroom.

Store it in your refrigerator then. This way, you get an effective product that you can use in more ways than one, plus it's inexpensive

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
#7 Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Beginner

They are owned by a parent company that tests They are owned by Alberto-Culver who owns Treseme, Nexxus, Alberto V05 etc...They get their ingredients tested by a 3rd party. I recommend checking out dr. bronners and kiss my face for some great, cruelty-free alternatives, most products they have are vegan as well.
#8 Old 01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Yes, some of their products are vegan. It says right on a buch of their products "No animal testing. No animal ingredients." It does not say "on this finished product." Some of the products DO have animal ingredients though, so like always, you have to check the label.
#9 Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Beginner

You can't always trust labels on packaging. I've learned this because I've been doing research into cruelty-free products for my cruelty-free blog on youtube, Veggie Beauty.

You have to look into the parent company that owns St. Ives though (Alberto Culver). They say they don't test their finished products, which means they get their ingredients tested through a 3rd party. Your $ contributes to this testing because Alberto Culver receives $ from St. Ives...this in turn helps to fund their testing. It is very confusing, but many companies can and do say they are cruelty-free when in reality there aren't...they are just handing off their testing to 3rd parties so they can say they are cruelty-free. leapingbunny.org explains this much more eloquently than I can. I recommend checking out that site. Also, if you are doing research you need to check for the following info:

1. Does the individual company test?
2. Does their parent company test?
3. Does their parent company/manufacturers send out their ingredients for testing by a 3rd party

I hope this helps, and I'm not trying to make anyone mad...I'm angry at the companies, not anyone here.
#10 Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Beginner

I think I'll just try baking soda for now.

I wonder if Arm & Hammer is cruelty-free?!?!?!?!?!?
#11 Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Beginner

Arm & Hammer (Church and Dwight) is a company that tests on animals

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#12 Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Beginner

I suggest going to a an organic or wholefood store which has a cosmetics section. There may be some cheap, cruelty-free products there.

I am lucky enough to be next door to a country that does a lot of cruelty free cosmetics and they export them here, they are available at the pharmacy/drugstore.

So I think the best thing is shopping around, perhaps avoid the supermarket for cosmetics as they will probably only stock a limited range of cruelty free products.

Now that I know St Ives is involved with Unilever, I will be avoiding... I actually have some of their products, but now I am thinking again about buying them.
#13 Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Beginner

I have found that sugar mixed with a bit of body lotion makes a good hand scrub, or for feet. For the face you would need finer grains, I am not sure what, but you could experiment with the foods you have...
#14 Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

deleted

#15 Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Beginner

A cheap leaping bunny approved face scrub is the Queen Helene Facial Scrub...it does have parabens, but its super cheap and 100% vegan. I use it and like it.
#16 Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I've been using Lush Ocean Salt as a face scrub. They don't test, but it is expensive and can only be bought at Lush. I only use it once a week, and use baking soda two or three times a week.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but dermatologists don't recommend exfoliating that often. Once a fortnight is the general safe guideline so as not to cause damage to your skin. If you exfoliate more often than that it doesn't give your skin enough time to heal after scrubbing off the dead cells and then you're basically just scrubbing at the new cells causing them irritation and possibly damage.

m8itcanw8.com
#17 Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Beginner

You can also make a facial scrub really easily if you're looking for a natural and cheap alternative. My favorite is an olive oil scrub during the winter because it's super moisturizing but you can also use a lighter oil such as safflower oil or almond oil. You can also add a little essential oil to make it smell nice. I like peppermint for a refreshing scrub or tangerine for an invigorating scrub. You can find these at most health food stores. In addition you can add things like dried lavender or orange peel but that just makes it extra fancy. Store it in an air-tight container and it will last you a few weeks.

The basic recipe is as follows:

1 cup fine grain sugar (or sea salt or brown sugar)
1/2 cup olive oil (or another oil)
1 teaspoon essential oil (optional)

If you want an easy body scrub or foot scrub you can use a less fine sugar or salt.
#18 Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

deleted
#19 Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeofthedead View Post

You can also make a facial scrub really easily if you're looking for a natural and cheap alternative. My favorite is an olive oil scrub during the winter because it's super moisturizing but you can also use a lighter oil such as safflower oil or almond oil. You can also add a little essential oil to make it smell nice. I like peppermint for a refreshing scrub or tangerine for an invigorating scrub. You can find these at most health food stores. In addition you can add things like dried lavender or orange peel but that just makes it extra fancy. Store it in an air-tight container and it will last you a few weeks.

The basic recipe is as follows:

1 cup fine grain sugar (or sea salt or brown sugar)
1/2 cup olive oil (or another oil)
1 teaspoon essential oil (optional)

If you want an easy body scrub or foot scrub you can use a less fine sugar or salt.

Thank you, I will try this!
#20 Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Beginner

LUSH LUSH LUSH!

Expensive, but their products are AMAZING! As well as 100% Cruelty Free!

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#21 Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Beginner

Just found out about St. Ives...at Wal-Mart. very sad that they were bought out..But then so did Assie--by the same company. Which shows you that it is really all about the $$$$..:(..Also found out that Wal-Mart's brand is not tested on animals...it is posted on the product. Also, they sell Burt's Bee's--and they make a scrub--very good one, in fact. I am gluten-intolerant, so product choice is based first on gluten-free, and then cruelty-free. Hope that helps..I really understand the economics of this, too...

#22 Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Beginner

Burts bees was bought out by that dam unilever >sad.gif i like freemans if anyone is still interested.
#23 Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

The problem is the higher you go up the company chain, the more you see that the mega (what we typically call 'bad') companies buy or become linked with the smaller ones that own even smaller ones and so on. Hain Celestial, who owns Queen Helene, Alba, Jason, WestSoy, Almond Dream, Soy Dream, etc., was/is (don't know if it changed) linked with Cargill, which of course is a big player in raising farmed animals for consumption.

I actually started making an infographic listing what vegan friendly companies are owned by which companies that are owned by other companies and so on, but I got disheartened and gave up.

Much of the Alberto-Culver companies (VO5, TRESemmé, St. Ives, Nexxus) have products that claim they are are animal-free and not tested, but Alberto-Culver is owned by Unilever, so it ends up becoming a point where you have to pick your battles if you want to stay sane. Or do the no-shampoo method, but even then, baking soda isn't safe from the cruel companies. tongue3.gifno.gif

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#24 Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Beginner

I am also wondering about St. Ives testing on animals, i bought a bottle of body wash and it says right on the back "not tested on animals" but then it has the unilever label on it and i do know that unilever tests on animals...i'm so confused.

#25 Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieRMT81 View Post

I am also wondering about St. Ives testing on animals, i bought a bottle of body wash and it says right on the back "not tested on animals" but then it has the unilever label on it and i do know that unilever tests on animals...i'm so confused.

St Ives may not test on animals, but Unilever does and Unilever owns St Ives (I was SO upset about this, I loved their olive oil scrub!).

So, while St Ives may not test the money you give them goes to someone who does. If it makes you feel any better, I've even had to change my tea brand because Unilever apparently own all the things. wall.gif

Sukin and Bodhi Me are great vegan facial care brands that don't test.

#26 Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Beginner

I love the idea of making a home made face scrub but we cant forget that most sugar sadly  is not vegan or cruelty free! Bone char is used in processing white sugar. And brown sugar is just regular white sugar with molasses added. the only vegan/cruelty free sugar is Raw sugar or Turbanado. The raw sugar crystals are a little large for face scrub I find though. If you wanted the moisturizing effects of brown sugar you could mix in a little molasses or cane sugar juice with your raw or turbanado sugar, then add that to the rest of your ingredients in your face scrub mix. Or just use salt instead lol. That would help to dry out acne.

broccoli.gifpibo.gifdancingbanana.gif

#27 Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Beginner

neither white or brown sugar are vegan or cruelty free though sadly. so that would defeat the purpose. i would use raw sugar or turbinado sugar or salt.

#28 Old 08-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematoad View Post

I love the idea of making a home made face scrub but we cant forget that most sugar sadly  is not vegan or cruelty free! Bone char is used in processing white sugar. And brown sugar is just regular white sugar with molasses added. the only vegan/cruelty free sugar is Raw sugar or Turbanado. The raw sugar crystals are a little large for face scrub I find though. If you wanted the moisturizing effects of brown sugar you could mix in a little molasses or cane sugar juice with your raw or turbanado sugar, then add that to the rest of your ingredients in your face scrub mix. Or just use salt instead lol. That would help to dry out acne.

broccoli.gifpibo.gifdancingbanana.gif

Beet sugar is never filtered. It may not be organic, but it IS vegan. If brown is made with beets, it's also vegan.

Not all cane sugar is filtered through bone char. Here's a list:

http://www.veganproducts.org/sugar.html

But yeah, salt works great! I like to use either with coconut or olive oil.

#29 Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Beginner

So
Quote:
Originally Posted by nematoad View Post

neither white or brown sugar are vegan or cruelty free though sadly. so that would defeat the purpose. i would use raw sugar or turbinado sugar or salt.
Some brands of sugar, such as Redpath and Lantic (except for one type), are vegan.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page