Subway for Vegans and Vegetarians (lacto-ovos) - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 01-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Banned

I notice that lately the Subway workers are not changing their gloves in between orders. Make sure you ask them to change their plastic gloves before touching your food. They could have grease and other remnants on there from the flesh, cheese, and dressings that could be transferred to your food.

I have asked a person to do it before, and they were understanding. How could they not be, when they are defeating the purpose of the use of gloves?!

Also, make sure you don't lick those stamps they give you. It comes from the person handing out money, and we all know how dirty money is. In fact, traces of E. coli have been found on bills. Use tape!

(Not meant to be bossy; just suggestions )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Beginner

When I ate there once, I asked them to wash the knife as well. The gal did it but wasn't too talkative afterwards.
#3 Old 01-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Banned

Oh, yeah. I didn't think of that. Now that they have all these breads with cheese incorporated into the recipe, all of the knives could be contaminated. Thanks!

One time I had marinara sauce on my veggie delite because of the person using an icky knife.
#4 Old 01-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Beginner

I found chicken in mine once....
#5 Old 01-24-2004, 04:53 AM
Beginner

Personally, I don't care if they use the same gloves or the same knife.
#6 Old 01-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

When I ate there once, I asked them to wash the knife as well. The gal did it but wasn't too talkative afterwards.

Maybe she was bicurious?
#7 Old 01-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Beginner

What do they have there that's vegan? I rarely leave the house, so I don't think I'll be going there...like...ever, but it's possible. They have "veggie wraps," right? What else is there?

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#8 Old 01-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I knew a veg who was also allergic to pork. She made them spray down the whole surface before they made her meal to get rid of any ham/bacon stuff.

She said they never seemed to mind.

I have never seen them not change gloves. I acutally think how wasteful it is to use so many gloves up.
#9 Old 01-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post

What do they have there that's vegan? I rarely leave the house, so I don't think I'll be going there...like...ever, but it's possible. They have "veggie wraps," right? What else is there?

Veggie wraps, veggie sub, and a veggie patty (don't know what that is, I wasn't brave enough to try). I had the veggie wrap today for the first time, it was good.

You might find this link helpful: http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/men...itionFAQs.aspx
#10 Old 01-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Beginner

SUBWAY'S INGREDIENT GUIDE
#11 Old 01-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Administrator

I don't think I'd throw a fit if they used the same gloves or knife. I don't know that I've ever seen them not change their gloves though. They seem to be pretty good about it around here.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#12 Old 01-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post

The white bread is vegan. The wheat bread has honey in it. They make subs, so of course you can make a sub however you want. They have 9 veggies to choose from. The veggie patty someone mentioned (called the VeggieMax) contains egg whites, jsyk.
#13 Old 01-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Beginner

Subway subs are good but if you just buy vegetables, pickles, dressing and anyything else you like on your sub and a roll you can make your own and its just as good. Now I'm hungry for a sub
#14 Old 01-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Beginner

I don't eat there anymore. I got sick of the Veggiemax patty, and I don't like enough of the vegetable toppings to make a decent sub. I don't like onions, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. So what does that leave? Pickles, lettuce and black olives. Mmmm.
#15 Old 01-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I don't think I'd throw a fit if they used the same gloves or knife. I don't know that I've ever seen them not change their gloves though. They seem to be pretty good about it around here.

I didn't mean to infer that I threw a fit, not that you're saying that I did, either, but I just want to make it clear. I just asked nicely if he would change his gloves, or actually said "I would like for you to change your gloves before touching my bread."
#16 Old 01-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Beginner

When I go to Subway, this crosses my mind but I never say anything. I don't like the idea of ingesting something non-vegan, but I don't think any additional animals were harmed if the dirty knife slices my sub so I try not to obsess about it.

I went to a Subway shop at the "Fashion Show Mall" in Las Vegas in December. I ordered a veggie sub w/no cheese. The woman making my sub completely skimped on the veggies so I asked for more. She scoffed at me, put like ONE more pickle on and ONE more slice of tomato. I said, "could I get just a little more please!" and she told me that they were only allowed to put that much on the sub & that they would have to charge extra if I wanted more. Boy was I pissed!
#17 Old 01-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Beginner

I dont care about the knives or gloves at all.

I've gone off subway a bit though...salad sandwiches can only be interesting for X amount of time lol. Maybe I should try VeggieMax?
#18 Old 01-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Beginner

Blimpie's had a spicy VeggieMax patty made from black beans called the MexiMax that was delicious, but unfortunately they don't seem to offer it anymore.

And chalk me up for another 'don't care' vote.
#19 Old 01-25-2004, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Shortly after I went veg, I was in this situation; this guy had just fixed a turkey sub, and he did not change his gloves before he made my veggie sub. I was too shy *scoff* to say anything. I haven't been back since that happened, nine months ago.

Now that I am a more seasoned veggie, my brazeness has reached new limits, and you better believe I no longer have a problem with making such simple requests. I may have to pay them a visit. I will not be getting one of those new wraps though... As a matter of fact, I am going to ask if they have bread with extra carbs.
#20 Old 01-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

The veggie patty someone mentioned (called the VeggieMax) contains egg whites, jsyk.

That's what I thought. I got a couple of those back when I was vegetarian, but I had heard that there was something non-vegan in them, so I haven't gotten one since.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#21 Old 01-26-2004, 02:00 AM
Beginner

Having worked at a Deli that also served sandwiches, we HAD to change our gloves in between sandwiches. Im not sure if its a health thing or just where I worked, but I would ask someone to change gloves.

Knives should be sprayed and sanitized after every use. This I know is a health code, so asking them to do that shouldnt be a problem.

I always say Im allergic when I think/know Im gonna get the, yeah, sure, no cheese look. That way they take it more seriously and I get less attitude back.

I miss Blimpies, they were so good.
#22 Old 01-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Beginner

I dont eat out very often anymore, but when I do, there is a coupon involved.

I do see them at subway changing gloves and they have their knives in sani-water. I tend to go at "off peak" times, cause I work night, so I think that makes a HUGE difference.
#23 Old 01-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Beginner

I think I'm not going to go to Subway that much anymore. Everytime I go there I lose my appetite a little bit more. The last time I got the veggie patty the girl nuked it until it was bone hard. When I ask them to change gloves, the first person does but if it's busy, they slide it down to the next person for assembly and they have meaty gloves. I guess they don't understand the reason behind asking them to change the gloves. They always just look at me and seem kind of resentful. Oh well.

A few days ago I got a veggie sub (6 inch), and I about died. The girl put on exactly two of everything- two pickles, two black olives, etc... Then she actually took a cucumber, and cut in in HALF to put on the sandwich! I couldn't believe it. I asked her for more olives but that's it.

I also noticed that she dipped her meaty glove into each of the veggie toppings for the sandwich ahead of me, and that's when i really lost my appetite. Not much you can do about that- "excuse me, would you mind dumping out all those veggies and getting me some fresh ones?" Uggh.

I got my first quizno's sub the other day though, and it was really good! It was loaded with all these yummy veggies, and they even smear it with guacamole! It was yum.
#24 Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Pacman View Post

I think I'm not going to go to Subway that much anymore. Everytime I go there I lose my appetite a little bit more. The last time I got the veggie patty the girl nuked it until it was bone hard.

Exactly! If cooked right, it's good. But after having it cooked too long so many times, ew.

I'll have to check out Quiznos. I didn't think they had anything different from Subway.
#25 Old 01-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Pacman View Post

A few days ago I got a veggie sub (6 inch), and I about died. The girl put on exactly two of everything- two pickles, two black olives, etc... Then she actually took a cucumber, and cut in in HALF to put on the sandwich! I couldn't believe it. I asked her for more olives but that's it.

I also noticed that she dipped her meaty glove into each of the veggie toppings for the sandwich ahead of me, and that's when i really lost my appetite. Not much you can do about that- "excuse me, would you mind dumping out all those veggies and getting me some fresh ones?" Uggh.

I got my first quizno's sub the other day though, and it was really good! It was loaded with all these yummy veggies, and they even smear it with guacamole! It was yum.

Wow! I've never had such a bad experience at Subway! I'd freak out too if they tried selling me a sub with two of each veggie on it. It defeats the purpose of having a sub. Clearly that girl didn't know what she was doing.

And I agree about Quizno's. Oh, I just love their subs! I would get them all the time except that they're so darn expensive. It's litterally twice as much as a Subway sub and smaller. But man it tastes good being toasted. I never used to like black olives until I started eating at Quiznos. Though admitedly I have to have them hold the mushrooms and guacamole, I haven't overcome my distaste for those yet. ; )

ETA: I've never had an overcooked veggie patty either. Do they realize it's only supposed to be nuked for 45 to 60 seconds. It's already pre-cooked they just have to warm it up.
#26 Old 01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Beginner

I used to be a Quiznos addict years ago when I had a "real" job.

Anyway, they are delish! I haven't been to Quiznos in years though. Do they actually have vegan things to choose from? Is their bread vegan?? I LOVE guacamole.

Subway's toppings seem very boring compared to this great little Mom & Pop sub shop we have in my city. Plus, the Mom & Pop place delivers....mmmmm I'm getting hungry!
#27 Old 01-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Beginner

Does anyone know if any of the bread at Blimpie's or Quizno's is vegan?
#28 Old 01-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Beginner

All this talk about subs is making me hungry too... if only a quizno's was closer. ; )

I believe their white bread is vegan. But I don't think that their normal sauce (red wine vinaigrette) is vegan. They don't list nutritional info on their website, but there is a contact section.
#29 Old 01-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

Maybe she was bicurious?

Argh! Oatmeal, you'd better buy me a new keyboard to make up for the one that I just spewed juice all over!!
#30 Old 01-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Banned

I wouldn't buy a sandwich from Quizno's again. There aren't many vegetable options; the Quizno's here doesn't even have cucumbers. I like tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, and banana peppers on my vegan sub. Without cucumbers
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page