Heinz Ketchup=Vegan? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Beginner

First time poster here!!

Is Heinz Ketchup vegan? Rumor has it that beef blood is used in the "natural ingredients" that are listed on the back of the bottle. I haven't used Ketchup since turning vegan a while back, because of this uncertainty. If this is untrue, then I will bust out the gallons of catsup that I have been known to do!!

Can someone rest my fragile mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Beginner

I think somewhere here it's said that it is vegan... although I've heard the rumor too
#3 Old 01-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Beginner

I don't know the answer to your quesiton, but I CAN tell you that the type of plastic used in the plastic Heinz ketchup bottles is the LEAST recyclable kind of plastic. They are type #7 which basically go directly to landfills and cannot generally be recycled. I read that a few months ago when a major paper ran a big story on recyclables. Heinz has resisted calls from environmental groups to change the material they use for the bottles.
#4 Old 01-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Beginner

I did a quick search... and everything says that Heinz says that no beef is in the ketchup (in fact, listed as vegan/vegetarian)... one place says they aren't convienced, others list it as vegan by name given the beef blood "rumor".
#5 Old 01-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Beginner

I would suggest emailing/calling them. The information to reach them should be on the bakc of the bottle. Unless you can find it on their webpage.

Oh, and welcome to veggie boards
#6 Old 01-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Beginner

According to http://shedonteatmeat.com/govegan/questionable.html

Quote:
Heinz Ketchup - "natural ingredients"

"Does Heinz ketchup contain animal products? :

Heinz Ketchup has never contained any animal products. In addition, the FDA has set a standard of identity for ketchup that does not permit the use of any animal products. Any deviation from this standard of identity would mean that the product could no longer be called ketchup nor sold legally under the name ketchup."

This info is straight off Heinz's website, in the FAQ's, which is a good thing... lots of people must have questioned their "natural ingredients" for them to answer it on their site.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#7 Old 01-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
"Any deviation from this standard of identity would mean that the product could no longer be called ketchup nor sold legally under the name ketchup."

Does that mean catsup isn't vegan!?!?!

#8 Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Beginner

Thank goodness!

I was going to jump off a bridge if Heinz ketchup wasn't vegan. I never believed the beef blood rumors. This is the ONLY brand of ketchup that I like. When I was an omni, I swore even the burgers at McDonald's were ruined in the Cleveland area because they didn't use Heinz. And it just so happens that both of my parents grew up in H. J. Heinz's home town of Sharpsburg, PA.
#9 Old 01-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

... but I CAN tell you that the type of plastic used in the plastic Heinz ketchup bottles is the LEAST recyclable kind of plastic. They are type #7 which basically go directly to landfills and cannot generally be recycled.

And then you have us Texas residents, where, like here in Houston, most of these plastics are produced, and yet they recycle ONLY plastics #1 and #2. When they first started recycling programs here in the late 80's/early 90's, people overwhelmed their capacity to recycle all of these other plast we are now left with tosing out all that plastic packaging even the veggie products come over-packaged in. I once suggested that Houston use this free resource to make "paving stones" hike-bike trails, only to get a standard form reply that they were setting up trails all over the place, and no mention of my idea to use all these normally non-recyclable materials. Typical bureaucrats, and likely swayed locally and state-wide by "The Plastics Council" and their own resistence to recycling.

Sorry to go off-topic, but that's a topic I am passionate about when it comes to trying to be constantly conscious of our ever-growing waste-stream.
#10 Old 01-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Beginner

Yeah the beef blood thing has been circulating on Usenet for ever, and as all urban legends, it's hard to kill.
#11 Old 01-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Beginner

heinz ketchip is genetically modified... GMO=bad
#12 Old 01-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio1 View Post

heinz ketchip is genetically modified... GMO=bad

They do make an organic ketchup now, which is just as tasty as the normal kind or better, if you worry about the GMO thing. *wishes for a ketchup smily*

~NS~
#13 Old 01-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post

They do make an organic ketchup now, which is just as tasty as the normal kind or better, if you worry about the GMO thing. *wishes for a ketchup smily*

~NS~

We only buy the organic kind, and let me tell you - in my opinion it tastes *considerably* better than the regular Heinz
#14 Old 01-06-2004, 05:01 AM
Beginner

my german bottle of heniz ketchup ingredients translates to >>>

tomatoes

vinegar

glucose syrup

sugar

salt

spice extract

herb extract

spices
#15 Old 01-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Beginner

The German version wouldn't be vegan do to the fact that they use Sugar. In American Fructose is used and the taste is considerably different, at least from what a friend told me when he got the non-American version. I also compared the ingrediants on my own bottle.
#16 Old 01-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Beginner

The UK Heinz ingredients agree with the german.

Also, note that the bone char isn't the only way to refine sugar. In the UK, Limestone chips are normally used. (I believe that bone char was made illegal some time ago. I think it was around the time of the BSE stuff).

Therefore, just because it contains sugar (read: sucrose) does not immediatly make it not vegan acceptable.
#17 Old 01-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Beginner

The Heinz ketchup I've got is distributed from Denmark, but produced in Portugal, and the ingredients are as follows (from Danish) :

Tomatoes

Sugar

Vinegar

Salt

Spices

Onion powder

Garlic powder

Everything but the salt is marked as being organic..

Is this of any use whatsoever to anyone ?
#18 Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Beginner

I don't have any product reviews for Heinz Ketchup, but I never realized it was a #7 plastic! I've been throwing them in my recycle bin for ages. The generic brand of ketchup is also a #7 plastic. : ( ... But it doesn't matter now, for me anyway, because our recycling program was just revamped last week and we can now recycle all plastics #1 through #7.
#19 Old 01-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Beginner

i got this reply from heinz UK >>>>>

Quote:
Dear .......

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding our Tomato Ketchup.

We can confirm that Heinz Tomato Ketchup is suitable for vegans and does not contain

any animal derivatives.

We hope the above information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Redcliffe

Consumer Contact Co-Ordinator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page