Vegan Buddhist Nuns Have Same Bone Density As Non-vegetarians - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Beginner

See:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/146288.php

www.VeggieVie.co.uk  Vegetarian and vegan recipes from around the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Beginner

and ppl think we are putting our health at risk... maybe they should read this?
#3 Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Beginner

Very interesting. This dispels one of the many myths about the vegan diet. Leafy greens are an excellent source of calcium, which is easier for the body to absorb than calcium from dairy sources, so it is no surprise to me to see this report.
#4 Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Beginner

I have always found it a little odd, the theory that our calcium intake is reliant on dairy produce, so we need to eat/drink dairy to lessen our risk of osteoporosis. Everyone I know who has osteoporosis eats a lot of dairy. When you question them about this, they just shrug their shoulders and say 'how should I know I'm not a dietician!'; that's just a few minutes after they have been telling you that being a veg*n is not healthy, and giving you lots of dietary advice about why humans 'need' meat and fish!

#5 Old 04-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

I have always found it a little odd, the theory that our calcium intake is reliant on dairy produce, so we need to eat/drink dairy to lessen our risk of osteoporosis. Everyone I know who has osteoporosis eats a lot of dairy. When you question them about this, they just shrug their shoulders and say 'how should I know I'm not a dietician!'; that's just a few minutes after they have been telling you that being a veg*n is not healthy, and giving you lots of dietary advice about why humans 'need' meat and fish!

Funny you mention that, according to a vegan nutrition book I'm reading that is indeed true. It is something to do with the way the body reacts to the calcium derived from dairy, it conflicts with the calcium in the bone. In contrast the calcium from plants is much easier to for the bone to absorb, even though there may be less of it. I just found an interesting resource regarding milky myths via the Viva site. http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/campaig...ies/index.html

Why there is not more discussion of this I don't know as people are peddled milk as a health tonic when if overused could actually do more harm.
#6 Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchilidog View Post

Funny you mention that, according to a vegan nutrition book I'm reading that is indeed true. It is something to do with the way the body reacts to the calcium derived from dairy, it conflicts with the calcium in the bone. In contrast the calcium from plants is much easier to for the bone to absorb, even though there may be less of it. I just found an interesting resource regarding milky myths via the Viva site. http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/campaig...ies/index.html

Why there is not more discussion of this I don't know as people are peddled milk as a health tonic when if overused could actually do more harm.

I think the Milk Marketing Boards in the UK and the USA have done a fine job of promoting the 'essential' need for their product.

I will check out the Viva site about milk, thanks for link. I have just become a member, but haven't had chance to check out all the information yet.

Out of interest, what book are you reading? I have just started the China Study - I would recommend it if you haven't already read it.

#7 Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

I think the Milk Marketing Boards in the UK and the USA have done a fine job of promoting the 'essential' need for their product.

I will check out the Viva site about milk, thanks for link. I have just become a member, but haven't had chance to check out all the information yet.

Out of interest, what book are you reading? I have just started the China Study - I would recommend it if you haven't already read it.

Indeed they have, it is quite incredible they have bene able to get away with it.

The book I'm reading is this one http://www.vegansociety.com/shop/pro...roducts_id=153

Plant Based Nutrition and Health by Dr Stephen Walsh, does exactly what it says on the cover. I've only recently become a vegan so I thought it would be good to get some additional info on how to balance my diet. Despite the scientific tone it's very accessible and challenges every pre-conception that omnis have about the vegan diet. I highly recommend it.

I'll check out the China Study too.

The Viva site is pretty good and well worth trawling through.
#8 Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchilidog View Post

Indeed they have, it is quite incredible they have bene able to get away with it.

The book I'm reading is this one http://www.vegansociety.com/shop/pro...roducts_id=153

Plant Based Nutrition and Health by Dr Stephen Walsh, does exactly what it says on the cover. I've only recently become a vegan so I thought it would be good to get some additional info on how to balance my diet. Despite the scientific tone it's very accessible and challenges every pre-conception that omnis have about the vegan diet. I highly recommend it.

I'll check out the China Study too.

The Viva site is pretty good and well worth trawling through.

Thanks, just ordered the book from the Vegan Society. I am working my way towards veganism, having been a vegetarian for many years, so a good nutrition guide will be very useful.

Incidentally, the China Study was written by Professor T. Colin Campbell, one of the supporters of the White Lies campaign that you linked to. I got the book from my local library, so chances are they will have it in yours, too.

#9 Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Beginner

Whose "White Lies" and how is that to be interpreted?
#10 Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade34 View Post

Whose "White Lies" and how is that to be interpreted?

Viva's White Lies campaign, about the dairy industry. See

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/campaig...ies/index.html

#11 Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Thanks.
#12 Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Beginner

Religion/Catholicism is such a fascinating thing. Such an odd marriage of incredibly close-minded views and education/health. I mean, look at Gregor Mendel, and all of the opportunities he was given in a monastery!

They're obviously and organization that knows what they're doing/eating. Brava!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page