Man Kills Buck With Bare Hands in Bedroom - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2005, 03:16 AM

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...1610755137.htm

Quote:
Man Kills Buck With Bare Hands in Bedroom

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) - It looked like a crime scene, but no charges will be filed after Wayne Goldsberry killed a buck with his bare hands in his daughter's bedroom. The engagement lasted an exhausting 40 minutes, but Goldsberry finally subdued the five-point whitetail deer that crashed through a bedroom window at his daughter's home Friday.

When it was over, blood splattered the walls and the deer lay on the bedroom floor, its neck broken.

Goldsberry was at his daughter's home when he heard glass breaking. He went back to check on the noise and found the deer.

``I was standing about like this peeking around the corner when the deer came out of the bedroom,'' said Goldsberry, demonstrating while peering around his kitchen wall. The deer ran down the hall and into the master bedroom - ``jumping back and forth across the bed.''

``I could tell he was really tearing up the place back there,'' Goldsberry said.

Goldsberry entered the bedroom to confront the deer and, after a brief struggle, emerged to tell his wife to call police. After returning to the bedroom, the fight continued. Goldsberry finally was able to grip the animal and twist its neck, killing it.

``He was trying to get up a corner wall and I just came in behind him and grabbed him by the horns and just started pushing down,'' said Goldsberry.

Goldsberry, sore from the struggle, dragged the dead animal out of the house.

Benton County Sheriff Keith Ferguson said that when he arrived he found the deer dead in the front yard. Goldsberry intended to have the deer processed for its meat.

On Monday in Pine Bluff, the principal of Coleman Elementary School rid his building of a deer by opening a door. Students were preparing for dismissal Monday when a deer crashed through a window and bounded through a hallway.

The buck floundered on the school's slick floor for about three minutes exiting via a door along the side of a hallway. Principal Bill Tietz said the deer was slightly injured from the glass and lost an antler. Tietz says the animal leapt a six-foot fence after leaving the school.

This is just so ****ed up to me. He should've just called animal control or someone similar to dart the animal and then release it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 AM

What a prick. It's not like the deer was actually threatening them.
#3 Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Why didn't he just chase it out of the house? What an idiot, a cruel idiot.
#4 Old 11-02-2005, 08:06 AM

OMG! When I read the headline, I assumed the deer had injured or was threatening the daughter. But it sounds like it was confused and just wanted to get out. That IS ****ed up.
#5 Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 AM

It's typical of humanity these days. Man sees a wild animal in the house, his first instinct is to kill it. Heaven forbid he should do anything else to get rid of it.

Bah.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 11-02-2005, 09:36 AM
MEM

o.k. killing it was necessary because...?

I know the guy was talking about it tearing up the bedroom, but blood is much, much harder to get out of the walls, carpet, etc....

Better alternatives:

1. Calling Animal Control, and closing the bedroom door until they arrive

2. Chase the deer out the front or back door.
#7 Old 11-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Disturbing.
#8 Old 11-02-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post

o.k. killing it was necessary because...?

I know the guy was talking about it tearing up the bedroom, but blood is much, much harder to get out of the walls, carpet, etc....

I assume it was bleeding from jumping through the window.

He probably didn't have safety glass, and he sure didn't have a sheet of sugar like in the movies. Real glass cuts quite nicely.
#9 Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
MEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I assume it was bleeding from jumping through the window.

He probably didn't have safety glass, and he sure didn't have a sheet of sugar like in the movies. Real glass cuts quite nicely.

gah! You're right. I hadn't thought of that. My brain is pretty fuzzy this morning due to cold medication taken last night.
#10 Old 11-02-2005, 01:14 PM

That is absolutely disgusting.
#11 Old 11-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Ankle Biter

Hmmm, now he wants to process it for it's meat...maybe he had an ulterior motive for not calling in some help. Can't say I'm sorry he's sore.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#12 Old 11-02-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

It's typical of humanity these days. Man sees a wild animal in the house, his first instinct is to kill it. Heaven forbid he should do anything else to get rid of it.

Bah.

Without knowing all of the details, we still need to consider that this was a large animal, with at least 10 antler points, scared and flailing inside a home. Couldn't the guy and/or his family have been in danger?
#13 Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Hmmm I wonder if these bucks see their reflection in glass and attack the "other buck" and go through the window.

Anyway, why the guy didnt just close the bedroom door is beyond me. Of course the police would probably shoot the deer anyway. Im not sure if anyone would just tranquilize the deer. Does animal control tranquilize ?

Of course if humans were "designed to kill" it probably wouldn't have been such an ordeal of 40 minutes of wrestling.
#14 Old 11-02-2005, 03:31 PM

I guess we can't really say what the guy should have done because none of us were in the room with him. A deer can be a dangerous animal, but it seems like it would have been safer to try to contain it or get it out of the house somehow than to grapple with it.
#15 Old 11-02-2005, 04:30 PM

Seems like there has been a few dear attacks recently:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=1258792

Nov. 1, 2005

A rash of attacks by male deer has prompted California wildlife officials to warn people to try and keep their distance from the wild animals.

The attacks, two against people and three against neighborhood pets, are most likely fluke incidents, officials say. However, the gorings could also be a sign that as residential areas expand, wild deer are becoming more accustomed to people and less fearful of them.

"What happens is these animals get more comfortable around people and people start to think of them like Bambi and often don't realize they can be dangerous," said Steve Martarano of the California Department of Fish and Game.

The male deer that attacked Ron Dudek, 73, on Sept. 25 as he was picking tomatoes in his garden was likely caught by surprise, says Martarano. The 6-foot-tall buck charged out of a patch of shrubbery and gored Dudek in the face before running off. Dudek was rushed to the hospital where he received 220 stitches for the wounds. Three weeks later he died from a pulmonary blood clot resulting from the encounter.

In another attack further north in the state, a couple in Covelo were attacked while watering a friend's vegetable garden. Martarano says the woman was gored in the arm after the animal had pinned the man to the ground with its antlers. When the woman tried to scare off the animal with a piece of plywood, she was gored in the arm. The man was shaken, but not hurt.

And in Orinda, male deer have attacked neighborhood dogs, killing one and seriously wounding another.

"We've never had any problems with our many local deer before," said Dee Pearce, whose 10-year-old dog Kermit, an afghan-golden mix, was killed by a buck that gored the dog in the head. "This seems to be an odd year around here."

Pearce says her dog did not bark before or during the encounter with the deer. And three hours after the deer gored her dog, it gored another dog, an elderly black Labrador retriever that lives across the street from Pearce. That dog survived. Later, the buck faced off with a third dog in the neighborhood, a Jack Russell terrier.

"I saw the buck put its head down like he was about to attack him," said Louis Pimentel, owner of the terrier, Willie. "So I put my camera down and took my dog inside."

Crowded and Dangerous?

Wildlife biologists say all of the attacks are unusual, but could also be a sign that deer populations are getting crowded and too accustomed to human neighbors and their pets.

"I've never heard of a deer seeking out and attacking dogs," said Todd Smith, editor-in-chief of Outdoor Life. "Most deer are deathly afraid of dogs and they're afraid of people."

Smith points out that male deer act unusually aggressive this time of year since the animals are entering what is known as the rut. This is when bucks are completely focused on breeding and wander for weeks looking for females, often not eating.

"They're fighting for dominance among the females, they're not eating a lot. They become increasingly aggressive," he said.

It could be that the rut season, combined with increasingly cramped territory could be behind the unusual attacks. Pearce says she has noticed more deer this year in her neighborhood, which she describes as a "woodsy suburb."

"This year the deer are thriving," she said. "We have at least four bucks in our immediate area as well as many doe and yearlings. There is lots of competition in a small area."

Deer herds throughout the United States have increased exponentially in recent decades, although around 1900, deer had been nearly wiped out. Restrictions on hunting and programs for trapping and relocating deer helped the population rebound beginning in the 1920s. Meanwhile, people have been building homes in areas that may have once been deer habitat.

"We have more white-tailed deer now than we have ever had in the history of the country," said Smith. "So it's not surprising we're having more encounters. When deer and people meet, stuff's going to happen."
#16 Old 11-02-2005, 05:54 PM

are most of you all stupid enough to belive that a five point buck inside your house is not a harzard ? he did what was necessary to protect his property and his family.
#17 Old 11-02-2005, 06:08 PM

However, I think running OUT of the house and waiting for animal control to get there would be safer than fighting the deer with no weapons? Or is it just me?
#18 Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 PM

The chasing the deer out the front door comment made me laugh. Like it's the same thing as a neighborhood cat or something. Heh.
#19 Old 11-02-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3gan View Post

are most of you all stupid enough to belive that a five point buck inside your house is not a harzard ? he did what was necessary to protect his property and his family.

First of all the only thing any of us can do is guess what exactly the options were or what kind of danger they were in. Having said that, based on what we do know I think that if he did feel that his family was in danger the best thing to do would be to shut the deer inside the room and call animal control, rather than try to fight it himself.

As for property? That's irrelevant as far as I am concerned. There is no property anywhere in my home that would make me think it's worth it to kill an animal.

And finally, calling people stupid isn't really necessary.
#20 Old 11-02-2005, 07:40 PM

"are most of you all stupid enough to belive that a five point buck inside your house is not a harzard ? he did what was necessary to protect his property and his family."

---------------

No we all aren't "stupid enough". We are saying our opinions. Are you rude enough to label everyone as "stupid" as a first resort ? I think the art of discussion is going down the tubes.

I believe the article said he closed the bedroom door (with the deer inside) and told his wife to call the police and then went back in the bedroom to apparently have a wrestling match with the deer. I think that was an irresponsible thing to do if he was considering the safety of himself and family. Then again I just read what was written.
#21 Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

The fact that the next generation is being sired by people like this doesn't bode well for the planet.
#22 Old 11-02-2005, 10:36 PM

A frightened large animal should be considered a danger to human beings.
#23 Old 11-02-2005, 11:20 PM

Doors on the inside of a house aren't all that strong.
#24 Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Goldsberry entered the bedroom to confront the deer

This sentence is sufficient.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#25 Old 11-02-2005, 11:39 PM

He should have waited until the deer busted down the door?
#26 Old 11-03-2005, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

He should have waited until the deer busted down the door?

Nope.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#27 Old 11-03-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

A frightened large animal should be considered a danger to human beings.

I know some people who may be dangerous, but I don't think they should be killed because they "may" hurt somebody. I don't believe in causing death to prevent possible death/injury. That just doesn't make sense to me.
#28 Old 11-03-2005, 09:01 AM
MEM

See, it's not the killing the deer part that bothers me, it's the 40 minute wrestling match.

Yes, the deer could have been a danger. Yes, the problem should have been dealt with.

But 40 minutes of wrestling a deer stinks of ego to me. If he felt that the deer had to die, wouldn't a clean shot to the head have been faster, safer and more humane?
#29 Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 AM

If he had something to shoot with.
#30 Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Red

Where are all the "unless he did it with his bare hands" types?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page