Nearly 1,500 Sheep Jump Off Cliff in Turkey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Updated: 09:13 AM EDT

Nearly 1,500 Sheep Jump Off Cliff in Turkey

About 450 Are Killed, Cushioning the Fall for the Rest

ISTANBUL, Turkey (July 8) - First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported.

In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a billowy white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher and the fall more cushioned, Aksam reported.

"There's nothing we can do. They're all wasted," Nevzat Bayhan, a member of one of 26 families whose sheep were grazing together in the herd, was quoted as saying by Aksam.

The estimated loss to families in the town of Gevas, located in Van province in eastern Turkey, tops $100,000, a significant amount of money in a country where average GDP per head is around $2,700.

"Every family had an average of 20 sheep," Aksam quoted another villager, Abdullah Hazar as saying. "But now only a few families have sheep left. It's going to be hard for us."

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...08093509990012

But why would they do that?

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2005, 11:54 AM

wow, that's crazy!
#3 Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Maybe they thought the other one was running from something, since I imagine it would scream when it fell off.
#4 Old 07-09-2005, 12:25 PM

BTW: According to a war story I've read, they can scream. I imagine it's probably true.
#5 Old 07-09-2005, 02:13 PM

How horrifying...
#6 Old 07-09-2005, 05:19 PM

I just finished reading "This House of Sky" by Ivan Doig, and he talks about sheep running off a cliff when panicked during a storm. I think what happens is that when the flock is moving quickly in a tight group, the leaders may try to stop at the edge of a cliff and get pushed off by the mass of the group behind them.

Indians used to hunt buffalo in a similar way, driving them off of cliffs. There are huge prehistoric kill sites where archeologists recovered hundreds (more?) of bodies.
#7 Old 07-09-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriole View Post

I just finished reading "This House of Sky" by Ivan Doig, and he talks about sheep running off a cliff when panicked during a storm. I think what happens is that when the flock is moving quickly in a tight group, the leaders may try to stop at the edge of a cliff and get pushed off by the mass of the group behind them.

Indians used to hunt buffalo in a similar way, driving them off of cliffs. There are huge prehistoric kill sites where archeologists recovered hundreds (more?) of bodies.

yeah i would assume they cant stop or panic and run and then just dont know how far down it is... the picture didnt look far, but i guess you dont see the whole hill either. poor sheep, 450 dead is a ton.
#8 Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 PM

i think something like this happened before .... unless i'm having another deja vu
#9 Old 07-09-2005, 10:18 PM

Oh my, I have never heard of such a thing. How aweful.
#10 Old 07-09-2005, 10:18 PM

how sad.
#11 Old 07-09-2005, 11:05 PM

I feel so bad for the sheep and the families. I feel horrible the sheep ha to die like that, and horrible the families have lost so much income.

Ugh, it made me sick to my stomach when I read about them all falling on top of ech other and the lower ones breaking the fall of the others. Poor sheep
#12 Old 07-10-2005, 12:30 AM

That's so sad
#13 Old 07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
cyk

#14 Old 07-10-2005, 05:16 AM

well, what they say about sheep being blind followers is true!
#15 Old 07-10-2005, 06:37 PM

I read about this yesterday and thought it was really strange. I feel so bad for the families and the sheep.. maybe they should fence off that cliff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page