This Is How Factory Farms Discriminate Against Communities of Color - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

This Is How Factory Farms Discriminate Against Communities of Color

Quote:
Animal agriculture is an extremely cruel, inefficient, and resource-intensive way to produce food for the growing human population.

It pollutes our environment while consuming huge quantities of water, grain, petroleum, and pesticides. It also subjects animals to extreme confinement, mutilations without painkillers, and ruthless slaughter.

But industrial animal farms aren’t just awful for animals and the planet; they’re also a serious public health and environmental justice issue for nearby communities.

People living near factory farms have complained that farmers spray feces and urine into the air to "dispose of" the waste.

The Natural Resources Defense Council states:
People who live near or work at factory farms breathe in hundreds of gases, which are formed as manure decomposes. For instance, one gas released by the lagoons, hydrogen sulfide, is dangerous even at low levels. Its effects—which are irreversible—range from sore throat to seizures, comas and even death.
More often than not, these facilities are built near low-income communities and communities of color.

Last summer the Environmental Working Group released a collection of maps and data revealing that the environmental cost of North Carolina’s 6,500 factory farms disproportionately affects vulnerable communities.
Read the rest here: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/this-...minate-against

This is awful

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2017, 12:11 AM
person

Personally I think it's time that veggies became louder and more active. More petitions, leaflets in letterboxes etc but without the distressing pictures -just words. People tend to turn away when they see graphic pictures. The shock value doesn't work if they don't look. They just say "nothing I can do" and that's that.

Just words carefully explaining the situation and telling them what they can do and how easy it is to help is better.

Politicians need to hear "put a stop to it or I won't vote or you". Industrial farmers - well if I had lots of money I would take them to court but I don't and I'm not American.

Australia needs to do something about stopping the export of live cattle to Indonesia where their treatment is horrendous.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#3 Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 PM

"This Is How Factory Farms Discriminate Against Communities of Color"

Why would you consider discriminationn against people of color worse than discrimination agianst non-colored people? When white people receive this kind of treatment, you can look the other way, but when "communities of color" are the recipients, it is so much worse?

What is going on here?

#4 Old 03-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samia View Post
"This Is How Factory Farms Discriminate Against Communities of Color"

Why would you consider discriminationn against people of color worse than discrimination agianst non-colored people? When white people receive this kind of treatment, you can look the other way, but when "communities of color" are the recipients, it is so much worse?

What is going on here?
Do you not understand the definition of discrimination?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Wink Today's lesson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Do you not understand the definition of discrimination?
Yes, I do. To discriminate means to see a difference between what you see as desirable and what you see as undesirable (out of any motivation).

In the olden days, to be called " discriminating" was a compliment. It meant that you had good judgment, that you could see differences and would act accordingly.

For example: Being nice to animals and not killing them is one thing. Raising them for the sole purpose of killing them, especially in horrible conditions, is another. I discriminate against people involved in the latter. Indeed, I tend to despise them. See - I'm a discriminating person!

What are you doing here, testing me for my knowledge of word definitions? Is this one of the requirements for membership here? LOL.
#6 Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 PM
person

Sorry, but I think it is more a case of discriminating against the poor. It wouldn't matter if you were purple, blue or green if you are
poor you are discriminated against by big business particularly.

In this case DOWN WITH THE FACTORY FARMS and the people who own them.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page