6Likes
  • 2 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 2 Post By Ger Jonker
  • 2 Post By Symondezyn

#1 Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Chickens Are Much, Much Smarter Than They Look

Quote:
Why did the chicken cross the road? We don’t know, but it probably had its reasons. A new paper published in the journal Animal Cognition reports that the barnyard birds’ intelligence and social skills are far more complex than we thought.

Lori Marino is senior scientist for The Someone Project, which aims to challenge popular misconceptions about chickens, cows, pigs, and other farm animals. Her report, which was partially funded by the ASPCA, describes experiment after experiment showing that chickens are, in fact, very complex animals with rich inner and outer lives.

Last year was a big year for bird intelligence research. in 2016, scientists reported that some birds are at least as smart as apes. They found tool-making crows and clever pigeons and puzzle-solving bullfinches. The phrase “birdbrain” began to lose its meaning.

But amid the myth-shattering, some birds got more attention than others. “There’s not a lot of scientific work being done on chicken cognition,” Marino tells mental_floss, “because if you assume an animal doesn’t have a given trait, you aren’t going to study it. But what research there has been is very, very compelling.”

For example: Studies have found that chickens have object permanence—that is, they understand that when you cover something, it does not go away—a skill humans develop around age one. They’re also capable of counting and basic arithmetic, even as chicks. They understand logic and simple reasoning, including some concepts we don’t understand until we’re six or seven years old. They have some sense of time and complex social relationships. They have distinct personalities and show one another empathy.
Read the rest here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/9...rter-they-look

I'm going to start calling people bird brains as a compliment.
Tom and BlueMts like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Beginner

Sometimes a chicken just needs a hug, I think.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
#3 Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

That's adorable!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

#4 Old 03-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Plant Powered

I absolutely adore chickens... they were a big part of me deciding to become vegan. I follow a local rescue farm on IG, and my favourite posts are of the healthy, happy, plump chickens waddling about in the rain puddles ^_^
Werewolf Girl and BlueMts like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page