VeggieBoards banner

"The argument for eating dog"

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  spacegirl 
#1 ·
The dog photos are difficult to view.
Of course.
They show man's best friend being stuffed into wire cages and trucked, illegally, across borders in Southeast Asia. The destination: restaurants in Vietnam.
That thought alone -- that someone would sit in a public restaurant and order dog from a menu -- is likely enough to get most "dog people" to stop reading this column, much less look at the photo essay featured this week by CNN's photo blog.
Here in the United States, we will spend $58.5 billion on pets this year, according to one industry projection. We pamper dogs with Christmas presents; send them to "doggie daycare"; bring them on planes (more than 2 million pets and animals fly per year); and trot them around show rings, judging the perfection of their pedigree.

Eat them?

Unthinkable. Repulsive. Cruel.

We don't even consider it.
Read the rest here: http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/23/opinion/sutter-dog-meat-ethics/

While this guy isn't a vegetarian he brings up some excellent points about how hypocritical our society can be about our treatment of animals. Why love one but eat the other?

Even though he isn't a vegetarian yet he does mention he tries not to eat much meat, I suspect he may become one someday.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah... my bf being one of those people. Saying how bad it is they eat dog. When I said to him dog, pig, cow they are all animals, his reply was "yeah but pigs and cows are meant to be food" ahhh!!!! Sometimes I feel like I may aswell just talk to a brick wall. The wall probably has more understanding!

He said he will not ask for red meat in th house but he is refusing to give up chicken. Tomorrow is food shop day. Im not happy about buying chicken. :( but he said "im not vegetarian, you are trying to make me vegetarian and im not" whats wrong with him!!

#5 ·
My husband is the same way! He will fight to the death to defend the rights of wolves not to be hunted in Minnesota, and gets so mad at cases of abused dogs and so on. But when it comes to farm animals they are all food to be eaten. Sighs. AT least over the years he has adjusted to my way of living more and eats all my vegan meals and mostly vegetarian at home but on occasion he still eats his chicken or steaks or lunch meat in the house, usually when I am not around. We have been together for sixteen years but it can still be a challenge sometimes to live with an omnivore who holds such different beliefs. You have my empathy.

#6 ·
Thank you, thank goodness someone out there can empathise! :) I honestly don't know if I can remain in the relationship with him as he just really hurtful. Today he said he is not a vegedickhead :'( i am not sure how long I can be with someone who thinks like he does.

#11 ·
Wow, that sounds very disrespectful and immature. How long have you two been together? Is this a relationship that you feel is worthy of continuing to nurture? Is he this way in other areas too or is it just when you bring up vegetarian or vegan stuff? I could not tolerate being treated that way. It is one thing to politely disagree but he sounds angry. If he just reacts that way when you talk about vegetarian subjects, maybe you could try just backing off for a while. I was somewhat pushy at first with my husband but realized he was not going to jump on board and I had to back off for a while and let things be. Over time he came to accept my new lifestyle and even take an interest, but at first he didn't want much to do with it. Sometimes it is just a matter of patience and not being too preachy. but you don't have to put up with being made fun of or name calling either. Respect is a two way street. I am sorry you are having such a hard time with him. :(

#7 ·
My sister is just like this. Totally makes fun of me not eating meat but OMG you should see how she treats dogs - like tiny kings. And by kings I mean KINGS. She's an awesome shelter advocate volunteer, treats her own dogs like her kids and so on. She got really mad once when I compared dogs to other "meat" animals. It's sooooooo frustrating.

#8 ·
I really think that the problem stems with what Melanie Joy based her book Why we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows.

We here and other places are absolutely ignorant that the pink objects in the butcher case are body parts of actual animals. Dog, if it were minced up, cut in hams or slices would be eaten just as eagerly as "beef" if people did not know the source. Once you start throwing whole bodies, or heaven help us, the heads of animals, people start grossing out in the western world. You really do not see baked sheep or pig heads any where other than "ethnic" cooking, let alone feet, guts, tongues scrotums or any other specific and recognizable body part. I was trapped in this for a long time too. It took years for me to really understand that these little pink slices of meat came from real animals. I was a vegetarian for years before even thinking of the "animal rights" angle. What it took was to come to an area of the country where you see the hideous conditions these animals have to endure daily while they wait to be stunned or clubbed and then dismembered.

#10 ·
I've had so many arguements with my bf. He just will not budge. He just doesnt care although he refuses to watch a slaughter footage, because he says the people paid to do it see it and he doesnt have to. He just says humans are omnivores and are animals so it is okay to eat animals. It really makes me furious and deeply saddened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.