Chick-fil-A’s latest horror - The controversial fast-food chain publishes a children's book loaded with half-truths about farms and animals - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/27/chick_fil_as_latest_horror/
Quote:
Chick-fil-A, like most fast-food companies, is the retail expression of the factory farming industry — an industry whose hideous treatment of animals, vertical integration and rooting in monoculture is the opposite of the diversified family farm so beautifully glorified in “The Jolly Barnyard.” Perhaps worse, as a primary buyer — and, thus financial supporter — of the factory-farmed products, Chick-fil-A is one of the major fast-food players responsible for the demise of “Jolly Barnyard”-esque family farms.

But rather than own up to its record with a children’s book about its odious business model, Chick-Fil-A (not surprisingly) wants kids to think of it through a much more pleasant story.

They don’t want kids to equate a Chick-fil-A sandwich with inhumane treatment of chickens in crowded factory farms — they want kids to equate that sandwich with the page in the “Jolly Barnyard” where Farmer Brown feeds his chickens a treat while they roam free. They don’t want kids to equate a Chick-fil-A meal with the unsustainable and often unsafe monoculture practices of corporate agribusiness — they want kids to equate that meal with the agriculturally diverse operations of individuals like Farmer Brown.

In short, they don’t want my son and his fellow two-year-olds to equate Chick-fil-A with what Chick-fil-A really is — they want them to equate it with the very Jolly Barnyard it and its fellow fast-food behemoths have helped destroy. And so the company has re-published the 1950 classic under its name, and with its logo stamped right on the front cover. The message to tykes is clear: When you think Chick-fil-A, think “Jolly Barnyard.”

I think it's very telling that we are now living in a world where we have to lie to children about how their food is made because the truth is too disturbing. I hope not too many people fall for this crap or let their kids read it, the reality of factory farming is horrifying and shouldn't be covered up with sappy sweet nonsense. Those chickens do NOT come from a jolly barnyard. brood.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Not surprising coming from them. I'm going to guess they probably feel the vegan movement rising so they want to trick and brainwash as many youth while they still can. :(

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

This was one of those little Golden Books, which my parents thought were so insipid and couldn't bear to read them to us or even have them in our house. Here's a clip from one customer review of this one, originally called "The Jolly Barnyard":

"After the animals realize it is Farmer Brown's birthday they each recite a verse on how they will help the farmer. The horse will pull his cart, the cow will give him milk, etc. But when they come to the turkey, this is his verse: "Gobble Gobble Gobble! Come Thanksgiving day, I will help Farmer Brown in my own special way!"

Wow...

#4 Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

But when they come to the turkey, this is his verse: "Gobble Gobble Gobble! Come Thanksgiving day, I will help Farmer Brown in my own special way!"

inquisitive.gif

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 12-31-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:

"After the animals realize it is Farmer Brown's birthday they each recite a verse on how they will help the farmer. The horse will pull his cart, the cow will give him milk, etc. But when they come to the turkey, this is his verse: "Gobble Gobble Gobble! Come Thanksgiving day, I will help Farmer Brown in my own special way!"

Wow...

I've heard people say that raising children vegetarian is brainwashing them. Yet what you posted somehow doesn't qualify for it......

#6 Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
"Gobble Gobble Gobble! Come Thanksgiving day, I will help Farmer Brown in my own special way!"

This is absolutely sick! spew.gifAnd, of course, a very good example of how to hide the truth of animal killing to children.

Joan Kennedy likes this.
#7 Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This was one of those little Golden Books, which my parents thought were so insipid and couldn't bear to read them to us or even have them in our house. Here's a clip from one customer review of this one, originally called "The Jolly Barnyard":

Wow...

At first I was disturbed, but then I remembered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1nxaQhsaaw

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page