Rob Zombie Talks About Animal Rights and Being Vegetarian Over 30 Years - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 14,275
LINK


Quote:
Rob Zombie directs people burning at the stake, bashing in heads and just does nasty things in general to the Homo sapiens in his new horror film, The Lords of Salem, but the gorgeous Golden Retriever remains safe and sound.

Zombie, who also fronts his namesake heavy rock band, has been a vegetarian for 30 years and a strong advocate of animal rights.

“The only thing I ever really care about is animals — animal causes. I don’t really care about people that much, but animals I feel like they always need to be protected,” Zombie told Samaritanmag, while in Toronto promoting The Lords of Salem.

It’s not like the filmmaker hasn’t incorporated animal mutilation in his films. Let’s face it — the guy makes horror films. In his remake of Halloween, furry creatures meet grizzly deaths (fake, of course). But in The Lords of Salem, he uses the dog as an interesting device for the lead character, Heidi, played by his wife, Sheri Moon.

“You have this character, who, even though she’s on this radio show, she’s sort of a lonely person and a recovering drug addict, but the relationship she has with her dog shows,” says Zombie. “You can see the worst person in the world, but if they’re treating their dog nice, you go, ‘Awwwww.’ You don’t even know you’re thinking that. The dog really helps bring that out. It makes you like her character more.”

Zombie isn’t actively the face of any charity, but he supports People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and various animal causes. In 2010, he joined other rockers for the First Annual Humanity Thru Music concert and paw-sta dinner, to raise money for Fur & Feather Animal Sanctuary, resulting in Southern California’s first full no-kill animal sanctuary, medical and educational center.

Last November, in time for Thanksgiving, he teamed up with PETA for a recorded message about the torture of turkeys before they end up in grocery stores. It is the animal rights organization’s response to poultry brand Butterball’s telephone hotline on how to cook a turkey.

"…Turkeys often become painfully crippled because they are given so many drugs to make them grow so unnaturally large and that their legs splinter," says Zombie on the recording. "The birds throats are often slit while they are still conscious and able to feel the pain...”

Says Zombie to Samaritanmag about finding a cause that’s important to you: “I think, hopefully, you tend to get that way as you get older because you can’t keep working and working, ‘Oh my career, me me me’ because it becomes so pointless.”

It gets lonely being a veg*n horror movie fan, I love that Rob Zombie makes gory movies and cares about animals at the same time. rockon.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Beginner
 
peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,262

I had no idea..


slops, gloops, and gruels.
peace is offline  
#3 Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Beginner
 
EntreriSeraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34

I always knew Zombie was a smart guy, from interviews, but when I discovered that he was a veggie i was (pleasantly) surprised, but it was unexpected.

 

I love seeing tough or scary guys turn out to be big softies. <3

EntreriSeraph is offline  
#4 Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 14,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntreriSeraph View Post

I always knew Zombie was a smart guy, from interviews, but when I discovered that he was a veggie i was (pleasantly) surprised, but it was unexpected.

I love seeing tough or scary guys turn out to be big softies. <3

Yeah, he already looks like Brad Pitt with a beard, this is not helping me control my crush on him. wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#5 Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Beginner
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,068
While it's good if he's been veg for over 30 years, what I find more amazing is that he's survived as a zombie for that long. I think Western society is very difficult for zombies, considering how negatively they are usually stereotyped in popular culture (as slow-walking, dangerous, violent etc.) and how much potential employers, law enforcement officials etc. look down on eating human bodies.

I think he's even caught up in the anonymous identity that Western culture ascribes to zombies, since he has just 'zombie' as his last name. It's like if someone was called Frank Jew or Harriet Mexican or Tommy Caucasian. I wish Rob would see that even though he's a zombie, he can distinguish his full individuality by having a distinct last name as well.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#6 Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Beginner
 
Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
It gets lonely being a veg*n horror movie fan, I love that Rob Zombie makes gory movies and cares about animals at the same time. rockon.gif

That is weird as I have known tons of vegans that like horror films.smiley.gif

 

It's awesome that he has been a veg for so many years although I don't like his films because they are too violent for my taste. I'm seeing him and Marilyn Manson next month in concert though.beatnik2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

While it's good if he's been veg for over 30 years, what I find more amazing is that he's survived as a zombie for that long. I think Western society is very difficult for zombies, considering how negatively they are usually stereotyped in popular culture (as slow-walking, dangerous, violent etc.) and how much potential employers, law enforcement officials etc. look down on eating human bodies.
I think he's even caught up in the anonymous identity that Western culture ascribes to zombies, since he has just 'zombie' as his last name. It's like if someone was called Frank Jew or Harriet Mexican or Tommy Caucasian. I wish Rob would see that even though he's a zombie, he can distinguish his full individuality by having a distinct last name as well.

laugh.gif

Pixie is offline  
#7 Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Beginner
 
vegan724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 175

I've never known this about him. Makes me like him even more! rockon.gif

vegan724 is offline  
#8 Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Beginner
 
EntreriSeraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34

Ohhh you are in for a treat! He's a blast live!! A big, angry, bloody, veggie zombie seeking graiiiiins.

EntreriSeraph is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off