Big Surprise! New Study Finds Plant-Based Diet Healthful - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/big-surprise-new-study-finds-plant-based-diet-healthful/

Quote:
According to a study just published in the Medical Journal of Australia, vegetarians receive more health benefits than risks from their plant-based diet.

The paper, titled “Is a vegetarian diet adequate?,” found that a vegetarian diet provides adequate nutrition for adults and children, while significantly reducing health problems.

Study results showed that vegetarians were taking in adequate amounts of protein, iron, and zinc, and were less likely to suffer from some of the nation’s top killers, including heart disease, colon cancer, type 2 diabetes, and obesity. Vegetarians participating in the study showed no signs of omega-3 deficiency.

The study also found that vegetarian diets are perfectly healthful for pregnant women and children. There were no significant health differences between babies born to vegetarian and meat-eating mothers, and no noticeable differences in growth between vegetarian and meat-eating children.

The study’s lead author, Dr. Rosemary Stanton, noted: “…eating more plant-based meals is a good recipe for our own health and that of the planet.” Agreed!

Well duh! tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Phew. I've been so worried.
#3 Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Beginner

Well, THAT'S  relief, I had no idea.... rolleyes.gif

#4 Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Beginner

And here I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette with my health. Nice to know some science whiz in a research lab somewhere is telling me I am gonna be okay.

#5 Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Beginner

We all know this, but published studies like these are good. The more that are done, the more buzz that is created, the more chance people will start to believe it and change their diets for the better.
#6 Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

We all know this, but published studies like these are good. The more that are done, the more buzz that is created, the more chance people will start to believe it and change their diets for the better.

I agree!

This information is old news to us but I still encounter people sometimes who don't think it's possible to be truly healthy without meat. The more studies the better! smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Beginner

At least the truth is being published, even if us veg*ns already know it.

I find that people don't believe me when I tell them stuff. But when they see all the same things in an article/documentary they usually say something like: "Oh wow, I had no idea!" inquisitive.gif

But at least they are getting some facts.

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page