The Domino’s effect: The pizza giant refuses to phase out inhumane pork - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

http://grist.org/food/the-dominos-effect-the-pizza-giant-refuses-to-phase-out-inhumane-pork/

Quote:

Domino’s wants to be different. The company — once known for crap-tastic pizza and mediocre ad campaigns — has struggled in recent years to remake its image with an ironic campaign that admitted to poor quality followed by an effort to incorporate so-called “artisan toppings.”

Domino’s has been doing so much to reach out to food-conscious customers, says Kristie Middleton, outreach manager at the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), that she’s surprised by its latest move — a decision to continue serving pork from pigs raised in gestation crates. “It seems like it would only make sense to include an animal welfare tenet as part of their rebranding,” she says.

Instead, it looks like Domino’s has other allies, including the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF), an organization known for its staunch support of industrial agriculture and factory farming. In fact, this week AFBF came right out and endorsed Domino’s decision, complete with a photo of a sausage-covered pizza on the front page of its national website.

Domino’s is getting the royal treatment from AFBF because it’s one of very few holdouts, as the last six months have seen an avalanche of announcements by businesses including Burger King, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Denny’s, Carl’s Jr., Safeway, and Hormel (the maker of Spam), which have all expressed the intention to move away from gestation crates. Even Smithfield Foods — the nation’s largest pork producer — has agreed to phase out the crates by 2017. Eight states have also banned the practice, including Michigan, home to the Domino’s headquarters. (The chain’s top supplier is Tyson Foods, a company that has shown no interest in following the trend away from crates — and has even recently been in the news for continuing to embrace the practice.)

The crates, or cages, are used to confine between 60 and 70 percent of breeding sows in this country, and animal behavior expert Temple Grandin describes them as the equivalent of “asking a sow to live in an airline seat” (without lavatory privileges, mind you).

I can't say this is surprising, but it's still disappointing brood.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Beginner

Wow another epic fail by Dominos. I'm not all that surprised by this at all. I don't know wtf they are thinking. Their new marketing strategies and plans aren't helping their image at all.

They fairly recently introduced their new Artisian Pizzas and they pride themselves on the fact that there is no "having it your way" with this pizza. You cannnot customize it in anyway and if you even attempt to ask you will get a big "NO!!!" They claim that the pizza is just so amazing they way it is that there is no need to mess with it. It's a" work of art" a.k.a. "crappy frozen pizzas".  So no asking for a veggie Artisian without cheese. You can go get that somewhere else because there's no way Domino's will be willing to omit the cheese for you on these pizzas.

They also came out with a gluten free pizza several weeks ago. A gluten free pizza that is NOT safe for anyone who has Celiacs. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57429388-10391704/dominos-new-gluten-free-pizza-crust-not-recommended-for-people-with-celiac-disease/. It is however safe for people with a gluten "sensitivity" but not a gluten intolerance or allergy.

#3 Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Domino's is struggling to retain its market share...it would be something if all of this rebranding failed over their choice to continue with cruelty.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#4 Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Beginner

I actually had one of their Artisan pizzas, the spinach/feta one, a few weeks ago, and it was really delicious. This doesn't excuse animal welfare issues, but I don't think their pizzas are all that crappy. It's certainly not a frozen pizza.

#5 Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Their pizzas aren't bad since they changed the recipe recently.

But I don't eat them anymore anyway, so fortunately I don't have to feel bad knowing that (even though I obviously only ordered veggie pizzas) my money is going to yet another company that supports this.

It is so much more difficult than it should be to avoid giving money to this industry. Every time I turn around it's something else...

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page