Iowa Rep. Steve King Brags Of Forcing ‘Anti-Meat Crowd’ To 'Confess' Their 'Agenda' - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
KING: Im here to tell you Im a committed carnivore. I like meat. I sit on the Ag Committee and we had a hearing before the Ag Committee when we invited in the president of the Humane Society of the United States, HSUS, President Wayne Pacelle. And we had one or two other witnesses from the anti-meat crowd or anti-animal husbandry crowd. PETA was there and one other animal activist group. So we just asked them, under oath, are you a vegetarian? And they confessed they were vegetarians, all of them. Well there they are with an agenda for our diets.

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2012/...ess/?mobile=nc

Oooohhhkay then, pal.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2012/...ess/?mobile=nc

Oooohhhkay then, pal.

Freaking idiot. We seem to have a lot of them here.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#3 Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM

ThinkProgress went back to review the hearing transcripts to determine whether King’s story is accurate. It is not. The congressional hearing on animal welfare that King appears to be referencing occurred on May 8, 2007. There were no witnesses from PETA. King did not ask anyone “are you a vegetarian?” In fact, it was another member — Steve Kagen (D-WI) — who asked the Humane Society witness to say he was a vegetarian.

The only thing about King’s story that does appear to be true is that he did in fact say “I eat recycled, concentrated, enhanced vegetables in the form of meat.”

Like I said: total ass-clown.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#4 Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 PM

If politicians had any common sense or morals, they wouldn't be politicians.

'Rani
#5 Old 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure he realizes how bad he's making omnivores look with that statement, as if only vegetarians are compassionate enough to care about cruelty to farm animals. That may be true in a lot of cases but he probably didn't need to shoot himself in the foot by admitting it

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 PM

I wonder what other fascinating new things he will go on to discover.

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#7 Old 04-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Whether it was King or Kagan or 2007 or 2012, here is the truly sad thing: Politicians, especially in certain states, know they can score points with their constituents by criticizing vegetarians and vegans. Just look at what the governors are doing and saying in Iowa and Nebraska.

http://thebeeteatingheeb.com/2012/03...k-them-for-it/
#8 Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 PM

"Are you in fact part of the green agenda?"

Tam! RUGH!
#9 Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Steve King is a deep thinker:
Quote:
I don't want to disparage anyone because of their race, their ethnicity, their name - whatever their religion their father might have been," I'll just say this: When you think about the optics of a Barack Obama potentially getting elected President of the United States -- I mean, what does this look like to the rest of the world? What does it look like to the world of Islam? I will tell you that, if he is elected president, then the radical Islamists, the al-Qaida, the radical Islamists and their supporters, will be dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on September 11 because they will declare victory in this War on Terror.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#10 Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM

I think I skipped a step in his reasoning. I can't even tell if it's racist or he just really dislikes the political left.

Perhaps, and this is probably giving it more thought than it deserves, he's implying that the far right Islamic theocrats like Al Qaida and the Taliban would have more respect for a similarly far right Christian theocrat? Sort of like a "we agree on the principle but differ on the details" friendly-conflict sort of thing? For all I know that could be true, although I think he overestimates its appeal.

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#11 Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

I think I skipped a step in his reasoning. I can't even tell if it's racist or he just really dislikes the political left.

There's a difference?

Tam! RUGH!
#12 Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

I wonder what other fascinating new things he will go on to discover.

I'd like an hour alone with him to see what I could discover.

Keep on freepin' on

#13 Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

"Are you in fact part of the green agenda?"

"Are you now, or have you ever been, a vegetarian?"

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#14 Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

Got to admire any performer who understands the level of his audience so well is all I have to say about that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page