Florida law to allow dying bunnies, ducks, and chickens - just in time for Easter :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Beginner

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/st...p-2220348.html

I hate this state.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Living with a strict, grumpy mother who isn't a "people person" at all, I never really celebrated holidays or went out around the time so I never heard that stuff like that happened. Coloring baby animals furs just because it's "cute" is stupid and selfish.
#3 Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Beginner

I've never heard of it, either, but now that it's legal, I'm sure some morons will do it.

--Fromper
#4 Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Beginner

I dye my dog sometimes, but she is a family member and not a gift that will be abandoned at a shelter 3 months later. She loves the attention the dying gets her and its safe.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#5 Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Ankle Biter

My mother got a pink chick one year for Easter - probably around 1942. It's hard to believe that people are still doing this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

It's not the dyeing part that bothers me, it's people getting animals for holidays and not caring for them properly
#7 Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

It's not the dyeing part that bothers me, it's people getting animals for holidays and not caring for them properly

Exactly.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

deleted

#9 Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

deleted

#10 Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Beginner

this is sick. thanks for posting the link- I will let the governor know what I think.
#11 Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I said it was selfish.
#12 Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

You just know, no doubt about it, that a vast majority of them will be dumped at a park or the forest or the side of the road within a couple months. Possibly even sooner when the dye wears off or the birds grow into their feathers.

Also, somewhat related:
http://makeminechocolate.org
http://makeminechocolate.org.uk

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#13 Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Banned

deleted
#14 Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

You just know, no doubt about it, that a vast majority of them will be dumped at a park or the forest or the side of the road within a couple months. Possibly even sooner when the dye wears off or the birds grow into their feathers.

Also, somewhat related:

No doubt. Just like all the little chicks they will be selling at lawn and garden stores for Easter time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Here's a link to email the governor of Florida and let him know what you think: http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-sco...-the-governor/

Thanks.

Is the dye even safe for them? How can it be safe to breath in all those chemicals when they are getting dyed? What about when they lick themselves? It disgusts me how people see animals as toys or accessories.
#15 Old 03-09-2012, 04:27 AM
Beginner

What is this I don't even... oh. Oh! Dying. Well alright then. I certainly never knew it was illegal in places to colour critters. I did make a green dog once, but it wasn't all that great. It acted just like the yellow dog and didn't even seem to be more efficient.

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#16 Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Banned

deleted
#17 Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 AM
Banned

deleted

#18 Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I know there is dye that is used on dogs at salons, which is supposed to be safe. (It's food-grade, I think, but who know if that stuff is truly "safe.")
However, rabbits are very different than dogs. Rabbits don't normally need baths, and do not like being wet- it stresses them out. Dying them, especially babies, can be extremely traumatic for them. (I assume this is also traumatic for chicks.) Pictures I've seen of dyed rabbits show the entire body dyed, including the face area, so I guess they are dipped in the dye, or possibly sprayed. In either case, it looks like their eye/nose area isn't protected at all.

How horrible.
#19 Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This is really gross, so don't read it if you're sensitive to cruelty stories.

In 5th grade, our teacher brought in an incubator and fertile chicken eggs, and had students inject the eggs with a few drops of food coloring. They held them up to a flashlight and stabbed the eggs with a hypodermic needle and syringe. About 3/4 of the eggs hatched, and the new chicks were dyed easter colors. We had built a pen in the classroom and kept them there for a few weeks. They grew fast and the adult feathers came in the regular chicken color. Then they gave the chicks to a "farm."
#20 Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Beginner

We had colored chicks for Easter when I was a kid back in the 50's. I'm sure ours were the exception since they went to live at my grandparents with the other hens when they grew older. Our hen, Spot lived a long and happy life,but I'm not so sure about the rest. The babies usually become ill and die because of improper care or wind up dumped somewhere. Sad.
#21 Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Beginner

I would never never dye an animal unless its a dog or a cat and its was for temp, As to bring baby chicks in the world different colors, that is very tasteless things , this year I am debating what I'll be doing for easter, I would like to get some free range eggs and try to dye them in koolaide but, I might just stuff goodies into some plastic ones and be simple this year, not sure.
#22 Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I would never never dye an animal unless its a dog or a cat and its was for temp, As to bring baby chicks in the world different colors, that is very tasteless things , this year I am debating what I'll be doing for easter, I would like to get some free range eggs and try to dye them in koolaide but, I might just stuff goodies into some plastic ones and be simple this year, not sure.

Hi PVL
A friend of mine painted some wooden eggs in Eastery colors, and I put those out each year. These are not mine, similar image from Google

I also have plastic eggs that I fill with stuff for Easter baskets. This year I am making treat baskets for my 2 kids (23 and 19 lol), my mom (84, ) and of course my husband, 51. And Pepper the Dachshund,12. All vegan stuff except Pepper's. This year I'm getting doughnuts at the last minute because it is suddenly doughnut deliciousness around here, and I have found vegan ones.
#23 Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Beginner

I never knew people impulse bought chicks. Bunnies, I understand, but seriously who wants a chicken that doesn't have a barn? Not something I'd want in my house, but maybe that's only because we had chickens when I was a kid, and I know what owning one involves.

As for the topic of dying them, I can't say I'm surprised what people will do to make more money.
#24 Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Beginner

Why of course---if someone can make a buck off it, it doesn't matter what happens to the animals. That's the way most legislatures look at it.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page