Big Dairy's Latest Smear Tactic - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

http://grist.org/food/big-dairys-latest-smear-tactic/

Attachment 17795

Quote:
Coconut milk is described as spooky for looking so real, or similar to cows milk. Hazelnut milk is supposed to creep us out because of the stuff on the bottom, Almond milk is dissed for having a funky color, and soy milk is unveiled as a product that doesnt come from a cow (when did it ever claim to?).
This campaign wants to sell the idea that only dairy milk is real. Other milks, we are supposed to believe, are not natural and have long ingredient lists with questionable ingredients. Now, for the fun part: pointing out how misguided, inaccurate, and illogical this campaign is.

Muahahaha! This just put a really big smile on my face. The dairy industry is losing millions of dollars in revenue and they're SCARED

And notice how they neglected to list the ingredients for cow's milk... including estrogen, growth hormones, antibiotics, rain-forest grown GMO cattle feed, pus, and blood.
LL

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Beginner

Wow, they really are scared. GOOD.

Someone should run a parody campaign. "This came from a cow? EW." "What's the hormone content? Yikes." "Spooky how this is seen as normal."
#3 Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
and soy milk is unveiled as a product that doesn’t come from a cow (when did it ever claim to?)

Seriously, that is a riot. It's funny how they can't find anything ACTUALLY wrong with the products and have to make up ridiculous "issues" with them...
#4 Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Beginner

I like how none of the ingredients actually are harmful for you.

I sure could go for some vegan chocolate milk right now though.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Beginner

They have a right to be scared. It's unbelievable the amount of shelf space alternative "milks" have taken over in just the last few years. I'm thinking their campaign will backfire though. People will go plant milk scary? Right... wait there are that many type of plant milks out there, I never knew must go try me some.
#6 Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Seriously, that is a riot. It's funny how they can't find anything ACTUALLY wrong with the products and have to make up ridiculous "issues" with them...

I know! They are using excuses a little kid would use who doesn't want to eat something. "It's the wrong colour, it's TOO much the right colour, there's stuff on the bottom, it didn't come from a cow, waaaah"

And considering that a) there's a bunch of really gross stuff in cow's milk plus all the suffering it causes to cows and b) it's so easy to make your own pure raw nut milks at home that have all natural ingredients, they really don't have a leg to stand on. Nut milks taste better and are better for you, and they are certainly better for all the cows and their babies.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Beginner

The only thing is that cows milk is cheaper, which bothers me.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#8 Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

It should bother you, cause we subsidize the production of it.
#9 Old 02-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

They have a right to be scared. It's unbelievable the amount of shelf space alternative "milks" have taken over in just the last few years. I'm thinking their campaign will backfire though. People will go plant milk scary? Right... wait there are that many type of plant milks out there, I never knew must go try me some.

Yeah, a quick glance at the picture and it's kinda saying: Hey, look at all the options you have to dairy milk! Also, we don't have any real reason you shouldn't be drinking them other than the color... Go check them out!

Not a well thought out maketing scheme...
#10 Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Beginner

With oat milk, rice milk, cashew milk and more.

#11 Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Beginner

Actually, it is a well thought marketing scheme,Forster. There just isn't much big dairy can do about the current non-dairy milk trend. As others here have mentioned, the childish reasons for choosing dairy as mentioned are immature, but when that's the only leg they have to stand on they will use it as long as they can.

No, what really struck me about this ad was not so much that they attacked plant based milks but that they felt they NEEDED to as opposed to ignoring the matter entirely. Clearly, the current sales of non-dairy milks must be something of a juggernaut at this point to warrant such a campaign. Food for thought!
#12 Old 02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:

It's about the same here... cow milk starts at about 78p/litre, and soymilk starts at about 69p/litre, both depending on brand. Overall, cow milk is cheaper as it's more consistent on price and soymilks/other non-dairy milks can get pricy, but it can actually be the cheaper option too.
#13 Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

It's about the same here... cow milk starts at about 78p/litre, and soymilk starts at about 69p/litre, both depending on brand. Overall, cow milk is cheaper as it's more consistent on price and soymilks/other non-dairy milks can get pricy, but it can actually be the cheaper option too.

Alternative milks are about twice in price or more here

#14 Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Beginner

What's really strange are the lactose free dairy milks.
My son tried one once and it was absolutely disgusting.
I like Silks commercials, showing how people prefer the taste of non dairy milk.
I'm also seeing more almond milk (esp.) in our work refrigerator.
#15 Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

So true. They actually just reminded me that hazelnut milk exists. It's very rare here to see hazelnut milks in stores so I often forget it's even an option.

Quote:

Sucks but I'll pay that extra dollar over drinking pus and blood anyday . I rarely pay full price though for alternative milks. Most of the companies have coupons for their milks right on their websites in order to encourage people to give them a try.
#16 Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
the dairy industry point to the “weirdness” of hazelnut milk’s “stuff at the bottom.” Talk to any dairy purist and they will tell you that “real milk” is non-homogenized (aka, “the cream rises to the top”). So, if anything, real milk doesn’t have a uniform look.

Yeah, that part in the ad kind of cracked me up. I always instinctually shake soymilk before drinking it because I grew up drinking whole milk from my grandfather's dairy farm and that's what you do--you shake it up before drinking it because the fat tends to separate.
#17 Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Beginner

I love how it says about other milks being not natural.yeah because pumping a cow full of hormones and impregnating against their will then taking the milk...processing the heck out of it and selling it to another specis is natural...what is more natural than milk from nuts and oats...
#18 Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Beginner

Big Dairy will tell all sorts of lies to get people to buy their products. That's what they've been doing for decades, with government approval and help.

*this space not for sale*
#19 Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Beginner

here is quick post I wrote about the campaign, I found it ironic that both sides seem to now be using scaremongering of unfamiliar ingredients (chemophobia).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
There is a new campaign from The California Milk Processor Board designed to scare consumers aware from plant-based milks by letting them know that "Real Milk Comes From Cows" and that inferior "imitations" are filled with supposedly scary ingredients such as guar gum, carrageenan, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, and zinc gluconate. Vegans were outraged by the campaign and alternative health promoters chimed in as well. Andy Bellatti¹ for his part wrote a decent response posted on Grist labeling the campaign a "smear tactic". The irony is that such scaremongering over ingredients with unfamiliar names is nothing new to vegans or eco and alternative health blogs including Grist. Many seem happy enough to use the same scare tactics when it fits their own purposes.

[img width=630 height=327]http://grist.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/milk_smear_full.jpg?w=630&h=327[/img]
As part of the campaign the Got Milk homepage features a game of find-the-"real"-milk in which visitors are presented with five unlabeled bottles of milky liquids and asked to find the single bottle of cows milk among them. The non-dairy milks include coconut milk, which is criticized as being "spooky" for looking too real, and almond milk which conversely is criticized for its "funky color". When it comes to looks I guess there is just no winning. To be fair the bottle of hazelnut milk does look a bit odd, though it should be noted that hazelnut milk isn't a particularly widespread plant milk anyways and separation is a natural occurrence for a number of food products, hardly a reason to say "yikes". If visitors skip over the bottle of real cow's milk and click on the last bottle, which is soy milk, they are presented with the message "This came from a cow? Please." Well I'm not sure anyone thought it did to begin with but whatever. Most vegans have heard the "soybeans don't have nipples" quip many times and this latest iteration of this pathetic argument from the dairy industry may be flashier but is still certainly not all that clever. The very premise of the campaign is false in that not only do other mammals give "real milk" but the term "milk" can also correctly refer to various liquids with a milky appearance. Terms like "flesh" and "meat" are other examples of words hijacked and monopolized by our carnist culture as well.

As visitors click on each bottle they flip around to reveal an ingredient list with a number of items highlighted in red including guar gum, carrageenan, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, and zinc gluconate. This look to be little more than a mild case of chemophobia. While there may be some legitimate concerns about carrageenan at high doses, the general safety of both carrageenan and guar gum have been fairly well established despite fears expressed by some vegan bloggers and alternative health promoters. Fears and misconceptions regarding xanthan gum have also been expressed and quickly shot down in the vegan blogosphere. As for zinc gluconate, aside from it being sold as a dietary supplement, I can't find any legitimate health concerns associated with it, not even on the fringe. Why The California Milk Processor Board felt the need to highlight "zinc gluconate" in red is beyond me. It should probably also be noted that the bottle of real cow's milk pictured was not milk fresh from the cow, rather it was homogenized, pasteurized, fortified, skim milk. Wait till the raw milk advocates chime in with their ideas of what "real milk" is.

Once they have completed this game, visitors are treated to three commercials. The first one titled "History" features three cavemen sipping (apparently homogenized) cow's milk from stone cups while chatting in perfect English sentences while a fourth caveman inquires in a more stereotypical broken manner as to what they are drinking and his attention is directed to a nearby modern domestic cow (don't get me started). Obviously still not understanding, the least articulate caveman identified as Gary asks, "I get milk from rock?...How about nut-thing?" I guess Gary is just too stupid to know that "real milk comes from cows" and "just cows", never nuts. The next commercial titled "Board" mockingly presents the ridiculous idea that non-dairy milks are a wasteful corporate conspiracy with no real purpose, never mind the deep cultural history that various plant milks have. While often presented as another modern examples of the degradation of "real food", various plant-based milks have long histories of human use and have been cultural staples. Soy milk as many will recognize has a logn history of use in East Asia. Almond milk has deep roots as well and was in common use in medieval Europe and the Middle East. Rice-based horchata may also be familiar to many having a long cultural history in Latin America being imported from Spain, though many may be surprised that its roots go all the way back to the ancient Middle East and North Africa where it was originally made with Tiger "Nut" (Chufa). Making milk from plants is really nothing new.

The third commercial goes on to make the point that having to shake plant-based milks is inconvenient (and apparently frightening), telling us that "real milk needs no shaking". What they seem to miss is that cow's milk, were it not for the process of homogenization, separates and also requires mixing. In fact I can go to the store right now and find bottles of milk with creme and small chunks floating on tops, it ain't always pretty either, but its hardly a good point against cow's milk. In fact many modern brands of plant-based milks have a quite uniform consistency, I personally find that my almond milk requires very little shaking and I've even been known to pour the occasional glass without shaking first² and not notice a difference. Are we really supposed to believe that separation is a reason to avoid a product? I wonder if the folks over at The California Milk Processor Board only drink "no pulp" orange juice. In the end the campaign comes off as misleading, inane, and at points even a bit offensive.

notes:
1. yes that Andy Bellatti

2. Calcium tends to settles to the carton of soy milk (though some brands separate less that others), so while not shaking is fine for the occasional midnight glass of milk it is still recommended to give it a little shake most of the time. I find a simple 1-2 shake is all most brands usually need.

Further Reading:
Don't Call it Milk if it's Soy? by the Vegan Scientist
70 Ingredients By Dave D
Look Whos Afraid! Dairy Industry Launches Ad Campaign Dissing Plant-based Milks
Guide: Plant-based Milks
Dairy-Free Diets Are Packed with Nutrients by Ginny Messina
Wear Your Soy Milk Mustache for Vitamin D Day! by Ginny Messina
Got apology? Milk board cans 'sexist' campaign
Carrageenan - Facts Report

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#20 Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:

it doesn't need to be if farm subsidies were structured differently

#21 Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Beginner

Someone should make a spoof of this showing all the ingredients in milk above the milk bottle (hormones, pus, blood etc...)
#22 Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Beginner

It just seems like the adds are making the general public feel stupid and ignorant... wait...

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#23 Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

Someone should make a spoof of this showing all the ingredients in milk above the milk bottle (hormones, pus, blood etc...)

But wouldn't that just be stooping to the same irrational tactics?
most those things arn't ingredients, if you wanted to go that far you would have to also list every pesticide trace, hormone, chemical, and harmless incidental input in soy milk and other plant milks...but non of those things are a direct health

#24 Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Beginner

Hm..I think a trace of chemical is less disgusting than a trace of blood personally.
Maybe the ingredients list could include the slaughter involved. Or the cholesterol.
#25 Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Or the cholesterol.

that is a requirement on labels

#26 Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Hm..I think a trace of chemical is less disgusting than a trace of blood personally.
Maybe the ingredients list could include the slaughter involved. Or the cholesterol.

Here in the U.S. cholesterol is already listed on the nutrition facts. It would be great if cow milk cartons (and cheese and every other product made with dairy) came with a picture of a calf in a veal crate and a statement saying something like this calf was stolen from his mother so you could drink the milk that you do not need and now his short life will be spent in a veal crate where he is intentionally kept anemic and then killed for the veal industry.

I make almond milk at home with some almonds, a date, a bit of vanilla extract and water. But I sometimes buy milks from the store just to provide the demand for plant milks versus animal milk.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
#27 Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

It just seems like the adds are making the general public feel stupid and ignorant... wait...

They know their audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

But wouldn't that just be stooping to the same irrational tactics?
most those things arn't ingredients, if you wanted to go that far you would have to also list every pesticide trace, hormone, chemical, and harmless incidental input in soy milk and other plant milks...but non of those things are a direct health

good point

Quote:

Soy milk is really cheap if you can be bothered to make it at home. I calculated the price once and I think it was maybe a sixth of the cost of store bought (if you can find soy beans for $1/lb).
#28 Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Beginner

The ads are immature because there really are no good arguments for cow's milk over plant milks.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#29 Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Someone did!

Attachment 17846
LL

#30 Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Beginner

That is awesome!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page