Fish on Sea World menu offensive - PETA - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 13,880
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226259833616

Quote:
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has asked the boss of the Gold Coast theme park, Jeff Hughes, to remove all fish dishes from the menu.

"Sea World are running marine education programs, teaching the public about the importance of marine conservation of these animals, while they're actually serving their flesh in their restaurants," activist Claire Fryer told AAP.

"It's like serving up poodle burgers at a dog show, and we really do feel it's the same thing.

"They're asking people to appreciate these animals for their beauty and their intelligence and their sensitivity yet at the same time they're participating in their painful slaughter."

I'm with PETA on this one, especially considering how we're devastating our oceans by massively overfishing. It's totally hypocritical since they teach people the importance of marine conservation.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Beginner
 
Envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Heaven
Posts: 6,548
Depends on what kind of fish they are serving.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Envy is offline  
#3 Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Beginner
 
SquarePeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,712
Given that Sea World engages in the grossly inhumane treatment of so many animals for the purpose of making a profit, is anyone really surprised that they serve fish at their restaurants?

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
SquarePeg is offline  
#4 Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,871
I've always thought it was weird the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago served fish.

Reminds me of something that happened on Facebook. Our local zoo was having a fundraiser, they were asking people to eat at a chain wings place during a certain time frame to "help save animals." I replied "I'm not sure how asking people to eat wings helps save animals" and they deleted it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Michael is offline  
#5 Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Beginner
 
delicioso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,945
Just like any theme park that has a petting zoo and some typical restaurants. Or an aligator farm in Florida, that serves aligator.
delicioso is offline  
#6 Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post

Given that Sea World engages in the grossly inhumane treatment of so many animals for the purpose of making a profit, is anyone really surprised that they serve fish at their restaurants?

Exactly. I find Sea World offensive.
PTree15 is offline  
#7 Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Beginner
 
paisleyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I've always thought it was weird the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago served fish.

Reminds me of something that happened on Facebook. Our local zoo was having a fundraiser, they were asking people to eat at a chain wings place during a certain time frame to "help save animals." I replied "I'm not sure how asking people to eat wings helps save animals" and they deleted it.

Yeah, our local SPCA was having a hot dog sale to raise money for the dog/cat shelter.
At least when we mailed a letter to the editor, they actually published it!
paisleyjane is offline  
#8 Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.
 
Puppet Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Yeah, our local SPCA was having a hot dog sale to raise money for the dog/cat shelter.
At least when we mailed a letter to the editor, they actually published it!

A lot of shelters over here have deals with restaurants that will donate $X if you have a meal that cost $X and you bring a coupon saying you're there for the shelter. Sure, the shelter is getting money, but in a really stupid way in my opinion.

I think it would be much better if they made deals with stores that set up something where each dog/cat toy/bed/food/whatever you buy, the store will donate one dollar to the shelter, and other things like that. And if people don't live with a cat or dog, they can always place the stuff into a donation box in the front of the store like they have the "Toys For Tots" or coats for the needy-type drives. Win-win, the shelters can spend less on supplies for the animals and more on the upkeep of the facility and health of the animals.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Puppet Master is offline  
#9 Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Where's my camera?
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,563
Sea World is a theme park with a pure profit motive so that doesn't surprise me.

What does is when aquariums, who are supposedly non-profit institutions for educating about sea life, promote fish consumption. Such as Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. They have a program called Seafood for the Future where they promote the eating of fish at restaurants throughout southern California, and in return the restaurants promote the aquarium. In some cases you can get free admission to the aquarium by eating a fish at a participating restaurant.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Mojo is offline  
#10 Old 02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Beginner
 
cornsail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,106
I would've expected PETA to find fish on any menu offensive.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

cornsail is online now  
#11 Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,865
"You've seen the show ...

Now eat the cast."
Clueless Git is offline  
#12 Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Tom
Beginner
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,427
^^^ Well said! It's ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Sea World is a theme park with a pure profit motive so that doesn't surprise me.

What does is when aquariums, who are supposedly non-profit institutions for educating about sea life, promote fish consumption. Such as Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. They have a program called Seafood for the Future where they promote the eating of fish at restaurants throughout southern California, and in return the restaurants promote the aquarium. In some cases you can get free admission to the aquarium by eating a fish at a participating restaurant.

I think what's going on here is that they want to "save" sea life largely for humanity's use and benefit- not because sea creatures have their own intrinsic worth as sentient beings (sentience in fishes is somewhat debateable, as I understand it, but I'm definitely not convinced it can be ruled out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I would've expected PETA to find fish on any menu offensive.

Yep- and I've gotta love them for it!

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

Tom is offline  
#13 Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I would've expected PETA to find fish on any menu offensive.

Not me. They pick their fights, and they pick them loud. I actually agree with them on their judgement of this situation, but it is still early in the game and they'll probably do something to screw it up later.
paperhanger is offline  
#14 Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Beginner
 
cornsail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Not me. They pick their fights, and they pick them loud. I actually agree with them on their judgement of this situation, but it is still early in the game and they'll probably do something to screw it up later.

You wouldn't? I'm pretty sure they're opposed to meat across the board. I didn't say actively campaign, mind you, I said find it offensive.

As for this Sea World thing, I don't agree that it's a great spot to pick a fight. It seems like saying eating fish is okay, but not if you're at Sea World. And if they do change their menu they'll probably just serve ham and chicken..

We are all copies of the same machine. 

cornsail is online now  
#15 Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

You wouldn't? I'm pretty sure they're opposed to meat across the board. I didn't say actively campaign, mind you, I said find it offensive.

As for this Sea World thing, I don't agree that it's a great spot to pick a fight. It seems like saying eating fish is okay, but not if you're at Sea World. And if they do change their menu they'll probably just serve ham and chicken..

In general terms, yes. But they seem to pick a specific target while letting others go. It's important to say I have strong feelings against PETA. I won't rationalize their motives; you are right that SeaWorld would just serve more ham and chicken, but I agree with PETA in this case, ,f they are calling out a need for ocean animal rights while serving up fish at the same time. It's not a veg thing; it's and ocean thing.
paperhanger is offline  
#16 Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Beginner
 
cornsail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,106
Well it is good to show the hypocrisy of preaching conservation while serving fish, I agree with that much. However, I doubt their feelings about conservation are motivated by empathy for the fish.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

cornsail is online now  
#17 Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Well it is good to show the hypocrisy of preaching conservation while serving fish, I agree with that much. However, I doubt their feelings about conservation are motivated by empathy for the fish.


Yeah, I can't speak on the behalf of either group. SeaWorld is a zoo and PETA is so sensationalistic that I can't understand their motives any more than I can the Disney Channel.
paperhanger is offline  
#18 Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Beginner
 
cornsail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Yeah, I can't speak on the behalf of either group. SeaWorld is a zoo and PETA is so sensationalistic that I can't understand their motives any more than I can the Disney Channel.

That's not very Raven of you.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

cornsail is online now  
#19 Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

That's not very Raven of you.

I feel very unhip to admit that I have no idea what you are writing about.
paperhanger is offline  
#20 Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Beginner
 
SquarePeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,712
I think she was referring to a show on the Disney channel called, "That's So Raven."

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
SquarePeg is offline  
#21 Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post

I think she was referring to a show on the Disney channel called, "That's So Raven."

Ah. Yes, I should have gotten that.
paperhanger is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off