An open letter to Natalie Portman. - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Dear Natalie,

At first, I was just going to give you some time to cool down. I thought maybe youd just got in a bit over your head. It cant be easy going from being Queen Amidala to a vegan movie star in a perfumed sea of apolitical non-vegan celebrities. I thought maybe PETA had come on a bit too strong, made one too many requests, maybe asked you to drop trou for a billboard outside a preschool or something.

But I knew you wouldnt fault us vegans for being a little clutchy. After all, you know as well as we do the scale of suffering that occurs every second of every day. You know how difficult it is to have to function normally (i.e.: refraining from screeching at every person who says But I love meat!). You know how it feels to listen to people pray to their climate change demigod whose inconvenient truths, though helpful, conveniently kept the most important truth hidden: that animal agriculture is ruining the planet. You know what its like to have every non-vegan with access to the internet forward you an article about those vegan parents who killed their baby, without so much as a modest admission that the epidemic of childhood obesity and diet-related illness attributed largely to animal foods, make this isolated incident nothing more than that isolated. You know these things. So I dont think youd jump ship on the animals for that.

http://theveganomaly.com/2011/09/14/...talie-portman/

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

I really hope she reads it

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Though the letter is certainly justified and truthful, I must ask what the end goal of her reading it would be. If the goal is to bring her back, then I would suggest reading "Just Listen" by Mark Goulston and "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie before writing another word.

Though well written, the tone is more likely to put her on the defensive and push her further away from veganism than it is to bring her back. Persuasion is a bit more complicated than simply writing how you feel.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#4 Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Though the letter is certainly justified and truthful, I must ask what the end goal of her reading it would be. If the goal is to bring her back, then I would suggest reading "Just Listen" by Mark Goulston and "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie before writing another word.

Though well written, the tone is more likely to put her on the defensive and push her further away from veganism than it is to bring her back. Persuasion is a bit more complicated than simply writing how you feel.

Completely agree with you. (love the Carnegie book)
I think it would be better to not completely criticize everything. None of us are perfect. Explain that you can be completely safe on a vegan diet while pregnant though..
#5 Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

I wouldn't blame Natalie Portman, or any other person, for not taking nutritional advice from discussion forums, or even from "Shannon" unless "Shannon" is trusted doctor or nutritionist. I think the letter is silly, though I also would agree that Natalie should keep her explanations to herself if she doesn't want them scrutinized.

Here's my open letter to Natalie Portman:

Quote:
Dear Natalie,
Give me a call sometime!

Yours, paperhanger

#6 Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned

This is just sad At least she's vegetarian. There are these other non-veg*n celebrities to criticize, it makes me sad that people criticize her for not doing enough, but at least she's doing something.
#7 Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Beginner

While I thought the "cakes/cookies" explanation was lame (especially for a millionaire who lives in Los Angeles), I too think the tone of the letter is really likely to put her on the defensive. I think she's had her baby, right? My hope for the past few months has been that she would reconsider her decision post-partum.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 09-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Beginner

I hope she goes back to veganism. I have never been pregnant but from the pregnant women I've known the food cravings seem very intense.
#9 Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Beginner

That it wasn't craving tuna or cheddar cheese or something inherently non-vegan, but rather baked goods that pushed her over the edge, seemed an extra shame to me as it implies that vegan cookies/cakes, etc. suck.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

While I thought the "cakes/cookies" explanation was lame (especially for a millionaire who lives in Los Angeles), I too think the tone of the letter is really likely to put her on the defensive. I think she's had her baby, right? My hope for the past few months has been that she would reconsider her decision post-partum.

Quote:

That it wasn't craving tuna or cheddar cheese or something inherently non-vegan, but rather baked goods that pushed her over the edge, seemed an extra shame to me as it implies that vegan cookies/cakes, etc. suck.

^These! Super lame excuse for going back. She has personal assistants and chefs that would've fetched her vegan goodies at any time of the day and from anywhere. Businesses regularly open and close just for celebrities also. They bend over backwards to accomodate every little and large demand from them. Even if she didn't live in one of the "vegan meccas" of the world where the ability to vegan items was right at her fingertips, she has enough money to get access to things in other areas and countries! Her excuses are just ridiculous.
#11 Old 09-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

^These! Super lame excuse for going back. She has personal assistants and chefs that would've fetched her vegan goodies at any time of the day and from anywhere. Businesses regularly open and close just for celebrities also. They bend over backwards to accomodate every little and large demand from them. Even if she didn't live in one of the "vegan meccas" of the world where the ability to vegan items was right at her fingertips, she has enough money to get access to things in other areas and countries! Her excuses are just ridiculous.

You are 100% correct. Vegan food is every bit as good (sometimes better) than non-vegan food. With the money she has, she can have the most luxurious selection of any kind of pastry/sweets/etc that she wants every single day for the rest of her life.

Chef Chloe Coscarelli won a cupcake contest with vegan cupcakes against other chefs that used all the dairy they wanted. Don't tell me vegan treats can't fulfill your desires. I have cooked vegan for myself for years now and I have never felt any deprivation. If anything, my trouble is to stop eating after I'm full.
#12 Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Maybe she just craved the taste of eggs or dairy butter. I'm glad at least she is still vegetarian and hopefully she will reconsider veganism again.

(This is disgusting but I knew someone that would drink pints of animal blood when she was pregnant. She wasn't a veggie before or anything but even most omni's would find that revolting!)
#13 Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Beginner

Am I being a little dumb...what happened?
#14 Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Am I being a little dumb...what happened?

Natalie Portman was an outspoken vegan but she reverted to vegetarianism during her pregnancy.
#15 Old 09-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Natalie Portman was an outspoken vegan but she reverted to vegetarianism during her pregnancy.

She said she had to give in to her cravings for cookies and cakes.
#16 Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Ira
Banned

i would just leave her alone considerinmg that she is still a vegetarian and neversaid she won't go back after the pregnancy and write letters to the ones who cause more damage and don't give a damn

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page