Containment Thread for Animal Abuse Stories [warning: graphic descriptions] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Beginner

This thread is intended to be a "superthread" of sorts for all news stories about specific instances of animal abuse, torture, and cruelty. (Ex: cats found in dumpster, puppies thrown in river). It has been created at popular request so users don't have to see graphic and tragic thread titles as they browse the list of new posts.

Please be as sensitive as possible to other animal-lovers' stomachs and don't post images. Please include a warning if your link includes images.

Some of the most recent threads have been merged into this one.

EDIT: I haven't been able to merge the most recent threads into this one without mucking everything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Beginner

I don't get this at all! If something is newsworthy, it's worth its own thread if someone wants to post it. All stories are not the same, and sometimes they have actions associated with them, or updates, etc. I think this is bad. If people don't want to read articles, the titles should be clear enough or have a warning with them. If people don't even want to see titles that might imply animal abuse...well then stay off the web, because that's hard to miss no matter where you are.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#3 Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Ankle Biter

Irizary, we had several requests for a containment thread. While animal issues are critically important, this remains first and foremost a vegetarian forum, not an animal welfare/rights forum and a number of requests to limit having to read ghastly titles had to be respected.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#4 Old 04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Covered in Waves

I'm glad. While I wasn't one of the people asking for it, I'm glad it's happening. I don't like seeing sick/twisted things when I've already made the appropriate life style changes for my feelings/health.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#5 Old 04-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Beginner

I agree with Irizary, especially if it's just a title. If people think it might be too upsetting, they can just not read the thread. The title of this topic is Veg/Animal Issues in the News, and a lot of veg*ns being animal lovers, there obviously will be people wanting to post articles about animals getting hurt or abused. Sure, there are 'feel good' stories out there too. But I think this is rather restrictive when we can't even post something with a title that might indicate animal abuse.
#6 Old 04-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneet View Post

I agree with Irizary, especially if it's just a title. If people think it might be too upsetting, they can just not read the thread. The title of this topic is Veg/Animal Issues in the News, and a lot of veg*ns being animal lovers, there obviously will be people wanting to post articles about animals getting hurt or abused. Sure, there are 'feel good' stories out there too. But I think this is rather restrictive when we can't even post something with a title that might indicate animal abuse.

The title of your thread did way more than indicate animal abuse. It was a description of what happened to those poor kittens, and it upset many members of VB. We have a bunch of animal-lovers here who don't need to see that sentence when they log into VB. For further clarification, you can read the announcement in the Community Guidelines sub-forum. The scope of this thread may be narrower than what you are now imagining.

This isn't really up for discussion. Any threads in the future about blatantly sadistic acts toward animals will be moved here. The end.
#7 Old 04-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Ok, what if the title itself is not descriptive at all...maybe like the way you changed it...e.g. If I have the title as 'News article about animal abuse (with graphic descriptions)'. Can I still post it as a separate thread or do I have to put it in this thread?
#8 Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Ok, what if the title itself is not descriptive at all...maybe like the way you changed it...e.g. If I have the title as 'News article about animal abuse (with graphic descriptions)'. Can I still post it as a separate thread or do I have to put it in this thread?

Well then all the articles like that would likely have the same title, and non-specific ones at that. I realized when changing the title for yours how it was impossible to be specific yet make the title palatable.
#9 Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
mlp
Banned

I'm the one who started the thread asking for guidelines about titles, because of the graphic nature of the title of the kitten thread. Frankly, there are days when being confronted by something like that is enough to nudge me over the edge.

I am not one of the ones objecting to the threads themselves - if people want to post stories and others want to read them, they should. I was just asking that thread titles about abuse be less graphic. If one of the first things I see when I click on VB, possibly for weeks on end, if the thread is active, is "Kittens' eyes poked out and teeth smashed", then I'm simply not going to click on VB. I have to be able to function in order to take care of the animals for whom I am responsible, and being confronted several times a day by horrors about which I can do nothing serves no useful purpose and is counterproductive to carrying out my responsibilities.
#10 Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Beginner

I just think that if people have to throw all the different stories into just this One thread, it will be confusing for people to have discussions about a specific story. Say there's a story about dogs, another about cats, a third about horses...how are people going to discuss a specific topic when the posts just jump from one story to another?
#11 Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I just think that if people have to throw all the different stories into just this One thread, it will be confusing for people to have discussions about a specific story. Say there's a story about dogs, another about cats, a third about horses...how are people going to discuss a specific topic when the posts just jump from one story to another?

Usually in these threads there is no discussion. Just a lot of sad emoticons and negative reactions.

We also have a quote function.
#12 Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Hmm, ok, I see. So in addition to not being able to post the title of the topic, people are not supposed to have discussions about the stories either.
#13 Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I'm the one who started the thread asking for guidelines about titles, because of the graphic nature of the title of the kitten thread. Frankly, there are days when being confronted by something like that is enough to nudge me over the edge.

I am not one of the ones objecting to the threads themselves - if people want to post stories and others want to read them, they should. I was just asking that thread titles about abuse be less graphic. If one of the first things I see when I click on VB, possibly for weeks on end, if the thread is active, is "Kittens' eyes poked out and teeth smashed", then I'm simply not going to click on VB. I have to be able to function in order to take care of the animals for whom I am responsible, and being confronted several times a day by horrors about which I can do nothing serves no useful purpose and is counterproductive to carrying out my responsibilities.

Yes, thank you again, and thank you to the mods. I am still ill over that title. It's not possible not to see those titles in the today's posts list, and when there is no petition to sign or other action to be taken, besides dreaming about finding these psychos and giving them a taste of their own medicine, I don't want to see it, because I don't need to be going there.

There's plenty of concern shown to those people who have eating disorders that can be triggered by merely seeing a thread title. I see no reason why sensitive and easily depressed or suicidal people shouldn't get the same consideration.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Covered in Waves

Quote:

Hmm, ok, I see. So in addition to not being able to post the title of the topic, people are not supposed to have discussions about the stories either.

As was stated, there is a quote function. And the supertopic is by popular demand. I usually don't come on here for a sick sighting of animal cruelty, this is for me, a place to get away from hearing about ugly things.

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#15 Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

I think this thread is a good idea

I do like knowing what's happening in the world personally, I'd rather know just what horrors people are capable of and more importantly what other people do in response to it. One thing I've noticed with even the most atrocious of these stories is that there are always good people involved trying to rescue and help, and cases where the police fully take animal abuse seriously when I expected them to shrug it off, and hearing about that gives me some hope.

That being said of course people should have a choice about whether or not they are exposed to such incredibly upsetting stories. Having a catch all thread is nice because we can still share information and have discussions but people can make a judgement call for themselves about whether or not they want a big dose of disturbing in their day.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#16 Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I do like knowing what's happening in the world personally, I'd rather know just what horrors people are capable of and more importantly what other people do in response to it. One thing I've noticed with even the most atrocious of these stories is that there are always good people involved trying to rescue and help, and cases where the police fully take animal abuse seriously when I expected them to shrug it off, and hearing about that gives me some hope.

Speaking for myself, I'm not closing my eyes to what people are capable of and in fact do. I've seen some of the results firsthand, and I hear plenty through the rescue groups with which I'm involved. But in those cases, I can do something to help, and I see others helping, so there's a purpose in knowing the horrific details. I avoid reading about cases where there's no action I can take, because there's no purpose to it, for me at least.
#17 Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

I think it will make discussion a messy and confusing, but if it makes that many people uncomfortable, it may be for the best.
#18 Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Boo!

I've felt some discomfort over reading these thread titles too. Some reorganization seems a good idea. Sort of like a "Compost Heap" for animal abuse topics.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#19 Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Beginner

I still think it should just be a matter of making thread titles not very graphic, and putting a warning in the title that the content inside the thread is graphic. I thought that was a rule already.

I don't think titles should be graphically upsetting either, but I think this should be a title and warning attached issue moreso than making an odd "containment" thread.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I've felt some discomfort over reading these thread titles too. Some reorganization seems a good idea. Sort of like a "Compost Heap" for animal abuse topics.

Agreed. I have an anxiety disorder, and many people on here do, so this is a great idea. I don't know why people are so opposed to it.

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
#21 Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Beginner

Wouldn't it make more sense to just make better guidelines for threads with graphic titles (IE. Don't blatantly describe the cruelty in the thread title and require <warning> tag) Than to just lump them all together in one big thread? It doesn't make any sense to me.
#22 Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Australia's live export industry has suspended cattle shipments to three Indonesian slaughterhouses in what is seen as a bid to pre-empt a program on ABC TV.

As Four Corners prepares for Monday's broadcast of footage taken at a slaughterhouse in Indonesia, the live export industry is panicking.

It fears the story will trigger a Federal Government ban on the $500 million industry.

The horrific footage of animal cruelty, taken by animal rights campaigners, shows cattle being inhumanely slaughtered at Indonesian abattoirs.

It is said to be worse than an expose into live cattle exports to Egypt five years ago, which forced the Australian Government to suspend trade.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...27/3229036.htm

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#23 Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousX View Post

Wouldn't it make more sense to just make better guidelines for threads with graphic titles (IE. Don't blatantly describe the cruelty in the thread title and require <warning> tag) Than to just lump them all together in one big thread? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree, I'm lazy when it comes to searching or subscribing to threads ( I usually use the "new posts" feature), and since this "mega-thread" was created, I hardly see anything about the stories ( which I think there should be some exposure to). I don't want to start making inappropriate contrasts, but this is indeed censorship!
#24 Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Animal welfare groups in South Africa have condemned the “barbaric” killing of a vervet monkey by a mob of township residents who said it was a talking witch.

The monkey was beaten, pelted with stones, shot at and then doused with gas and burned to death in Kagiso near Johannesburg, by residents chanting “Kill that witch!”, reports South Africa’s Star newspaper.

The vervet monkey had reportedly wandered into the township after becoming separated from its troop. Residents said the monkey had been going around Kagiso “talking to people,” and believed it was linked to witchcraft and would bring them bad luck.

They pelted the monkey with stones, and the monkey fled into a tree but was pulled down, put in a bucket and doused with gas.

Kagiso resident Tebogo Moswetsi told the Star that he climbed the tree and grabbed the monkey.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...y-witch-burned

#25 Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I agree, I'm lazy when it comes to searching or subscribing to threads ( I usually use the "new posts" feature), and since this "mega-thread" was created, I hardly see anything about the stories ( which I think there should be some exposure to). I don't want to start making inappropriate contrasts, but this is indeed censorship!

Actually you haven't seen that many because there haven't been any. I've been keeping my eye out for them, and the ones Puppet Master put in here are the first one's we've had in a long while.
#26 Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Beginner

Poor monkey
#27 Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Actually you haven't seen that many because there haven't been any. I've been keeping my eye out for them, and the ones Puppet Master put in here are the first one's we've had in a long while.

Good. The fewer instances of animal abuse there are, the better the world is!

The monkey story makes me sad, though. Why are people so cruel?

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#28 Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Beginner

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2044543/

This is a news story about a man clubbing raccoons with a shovel. This article doesn't really give all the graphic details. But from another article I read about the same incident...the man was using a shovel to repeatedly whack baby raccoons. The mother raccoon tried to save her babies, but two babies were badly beaten (almost to a pulp). One of the injured babies was carried away by the mama. The other one was rescued by an animal shelter after the neighbour came by and called the police. The mama came back the next day looking for her other baby, but the baby wasn't well enough to be released yet. The shelter plans to release the baby back into the same area after its recovery. Hopefully the mama will be able to recover it later.

Here's the article with more details: http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...raccoon-attack
#29 Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Officials plan to exterminate county's wild pigs

The U.S. Forest Service estimates there are 200 to 300 feral pigs in San Diego County. There’s also a small sounder of pigs near the Riverside County border that likely was there prior to the release of pigs in late 2006 on the Capitan Grande Indian Reservation behind El Capitan Reservoir in the San Diego River bed. Hunters who spend a lot of time in the backcountry say the population is three to four times that now and it will be useless to try and eradicate them.

Still, the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management are developing a plan to eliminate as many feral pigs as possible, as soon as possible.

"Our focus has to be what we can do at this point to control the effect they are having now," said Joan Friedlander, supervising ranger of the Palomar District of the Cleveland National Forest. "But it also has to be about controlling the population, keeping it low and at a threshold so it’s not growing exponentially and beyond what we can handle."

The project will be carried out by personnel from the U.S. Forest Service, the BLM, the USDA Wildlife Services or other agencies or their representatives. Pigs that are trapped will be euthanized on-site or taken off-site to be euthanized. Carcasses will be disposed of according to local and state statutes.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...te-countys-wi/

#30 Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
A stray dog in Malta proved that she had the heart of a champion, when police officers discovered her buried in sand up to her face, her legs and snout bound, and suffering from pellet gun shot wounds to the head. Despite the horrible abuse (she had more than 40 pellet gun bullets removed from her skull), the dog, named "Star" by her rescuers, has managed to pull through.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/28/...live-in-malta/

(Sorry for double post but I wanted them separately.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page