United Nations urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
A global shift towards a vegan diet is vital to save the world from hunger, fuel poverty and the worst impacts of climate change, a UN report said today.

As the global population surges towards a predicted 9.1 billion people by 2050, western tastes for diets rich in meat and dairy products are unsustainable, says the report from United Nations Environment Programme's (UNEP) international panel of sustainable resource management.

Read more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

Yes.
#3 Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Too bad nobody ever listens to the United Nations...
#4 Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

Too bad nobody ever listens to the United Nations...

...and we ignore to our own peril.
#5 Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Beginner

In the "new posts" view, the thread title shows up as "United Nations urges global move to meat".

I was very confused for a minute there.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

In the "new posts" view, the thread title shows up as "United Nations urges global move to meat".

That would be madness.
#7 Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Woo Hoo! I may not be vegan (yet), but this still makes me happy! It may not reach a lot of people, but it's still spreading veganism on a global scale, yeah?
#8 Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Yes.

Yes!

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#9 Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Beginner

Awesome!!!

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#10 Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Beginner

It'd be interesting if anything comes of it..
#11 Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Beginner

What's interesting about this is that omnis constantly seem to accuse veg*ns of being elitists who have adopted a "privileged" diet that other cultures could not possibly adopt (and therefore Western omnis use that as reason to not adopt veg*nism themselves, in some kind of "solidarity" with the rest of the world). This kind of puts the lie to that.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#12 Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

What's interesting about this is that omnis constantly seem to accuse veg*ns of being elitists who have adopted a "privileged" diet that other cultures could not possibly adopt (and therefore Western omnis use that as reason to not adopt veg*nism themselves, in some kind of "solidarity" with the rest of the world). This kind of puts the lie to that.

Classic!

Seen that one a lot. Usualy ends up in something about how Eskimos would have problems if they didnt eat meat as they can't grow vegetables; ERGO.. It is necessary for those with vegetables in abundance to eat half a cow a day otherwise they'd starve?
#13 Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Banned

United Nations urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet:

A perfectly save move as a free market economy will ensure it never happens.

The free market ensures that food will always go to the highest bidder.

It is also ensures that the cows of the rich will always be able to outbid the children of the poor.

"Sorry Starvin' Marvin but that bag of grain goes to the lady at the back. Yes you madame, the one with the udders and the horns"
#14 Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Beginner

I think I would prefer the population didn't reach such levels in the first place, really.
#15 Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

I think I would prefer the population didn't reach such levels in the first place, really.

'Lo Fox

One bizzarre fact is that it is the exact same thing, poverty, which drives those least able to feed a growing population into population growth.

Kinda like starve people and they spawn kiddies like crazy to create their own work forces and old age pension plans. Give people food and a pension plan and they have fewer kiddies so as they can get a new TV?
#16 Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Beginner

I don't think you can really give them that. The entire structure of their environment must change to have any lasting effect.
#17 Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

I don't think you can really give them that. The entire structure of their environment must change to have any lasting effect.

Indeed matey ...

Changing an environment costs money though and therein lies the poverty trap again?

Good example of what can be done to an environment, given cash, is what Western funded Zionists did with desert stolen from the Palestianians in the Middle East.

Poverty is the ultimate violence according to Gandhi btw.
#18 Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

I just ran across that article and came here to post it. You beat me, Yamato.

I'm actually amazed that they are promoting a vegan diet. The meat/dairy industry must not be in their pockets yet. I guarantee the industries are holding meetings right now on how to "correct" this problem (not the world going to hell problem, the UN promoting vegan diets problem).
#19 Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I'm actually amazed that they are promoting a vegan diet. The meat/dairy industry must not be in their pockets yet. I guarantee the industries are holding meetings right now on how to "correct" this problem (not the world going to hell problem, the UN promoting vegan diets problem).

'Lo Sleepy

The arable farming industry should not be ruled out as BIG opposition to vegetarianism either.

The meat and dairy industries, by virtue of needing vast amounts or arable crop to process inneficiently via animals, are a very significant part of the arable industries income.

The ultimate beneficiary, and thus the ultimate opposition, is the land owners, mind. They need as much land to be used as possible and for that land to fetch the highest possible prices.

Efficient land use is their greatest enemy.
#20 Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Beginner

This is a big deal.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#21 Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Beginner

Whether or not the world listens, whether or not these problems are solved, if this causes even one person to go vegan, then it has still made a difference. I applaud the UN for coming out and saying this.
#22 Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Same here.

It will be very interesting to see how the world responds to this, especially communities in the Third World. We may see some political leaders say that a plant-based meat and dairy free diet is not practical and it's easier to raise cows than to plant food crops in some parts of the world, such as drought-stricken areas of Africa (or in refugee camps there and elsewhere, where everyone is living in tents and tin shacks and depending on the largesse of relief organizations). And yes, First World omnis will echo this argument and insist that this status quo can never be changed. How do you plant corn, they will say, when the soil won't allow it? Better to send people cows than seeds, they will say.

*this space not for sale*
#23 Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Beginner

This is good news. Its good to see that some people with global visibility are trying to change things.
#24 Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Beginner

I hate the UN, but hey, even stopped clocks are right twice a day.
#25 Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Beginner

This really made my day... I promptly posted the article to my facebook.

Even if only a handful of people change because of this, it will be a victory.
#26 Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiedaisy View Post

I hate the UN, but hey, even stopped clocks are right twice a day.

Why do you hate the UN Josiedaisy?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page