Flame-clipping Udders on Dairy Cows - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat...tml/em/em8755/

Quote:
Using flame to singe hair from udders is a fairly new practice that has been developed to replace electric clipping. Flame-clipping is similar to singeing the hair off your arm. You don't burn your arm because of the quick, short exposure to the flame.

With flame-clipping, hair on the cow's udder is removed with a propane torch using a cool flame. The flame is passed quickly under the udder to singe the hair off. It must be done correctly to remove hair thoroughly without burning the skin on the udder or teats.

Although the idea of running a flame around the udder of a valuable cow may seem foolish at first, flame-clipping udders is safe and very effective when done correctly. Many dairy producers have found flame-clipping to be easier than electric clipping, taking less investment in equipment and less effort. Because of this, they are more likely to flame udders on a regular basis throughout the winter, when they may not have used electric clippers.

Flame clipping can be done in the milking parlor or in the larger feeding area. It takes only a few seconds per cow and should be done every 4 to 5 weeks.

I wasn't aware of this until yesterday and I checked , its down here is NZ . From what I saw , some cows are in pain , when they are "flamed". It uses what they call "cool heat " .

Is it common practice/knowledge in the USA ?....it seems to be a well covered up down here .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Beginner

What on earth?

Why would they even "need" to do this?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Beginner

I had not heard of this. I can already picture the abuse from it though. Poor cows

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
#4 Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

The fact that the only concern they show is for possibly damaging a valuable product is infuriating. One day our species will look back on this and be so ashamed...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Beginner

Oh great, now give those sadistic dairy workers a propane torch to torture the cows with.
#6 Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Why would they even "need" to do this?

I am assuming it is to help prevent mastitis, which is a significantly more painful issue that also leads to the necessity for antibiotics.
#7 Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Beginner

As if the reasons to be vegan werent enough, they throw in another one for people to ignore........
#8 Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Beginner

Has anyone here ever gotten too close to a flame and had their eyebrows or other body hair singed off? You feel warmth, but it's too quick to cause pain or physical damage other than burn the hair off. That's how the flame clipping is supposed to work. Done correctly it should be easier and less painfull/irritating than electric clipping-you have to get all around the udder at closer range and can nick the skin, which could get infected... The problem I see with this is for one the use of dairy cows to begin with, and two, not being careful to do this correctly. As they said, the udder is valuable and you don't want someone who consistantly damages the udder, so there is incentive to do it correctly. Of all the husbandry practices, I'd say this is one of the better ones.

The hair is removed mainly for sanitary reasons. It can also interfere with the milking machine.
#9 Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

Has anyone here ever gotten too close to a flame and had their eyebrows or other body hair singed off? You feel warmth, but it's too quick to cause pain or physical damage other than burn the hair off. That's how the flame clipping is supposed to work. Done correctly it should be easier and less painfull/irritating than electric clipping-you have to get all around the udder at closer range and can nick the skin, which could get infected... The problem I see with this is for one the use of dairy cows to begin with, and two, not being careful to do this correctly. As they said, the udder is valuable and you don't want someone who consistantly damages the udder, so there is incentive to do it correctly. Of all the husbandry practices, I'd say this is one of the better ones.

The hair is removed mainly for sanitary reasons. It can also interfere with the milking machine.

^ This is what I figured. As such, flame-clipping doesn't bother me too much in comparison to many other animal husbandry practices.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page