"The Locavore Myth" - in Forbes magazine! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Beginner

The Locavore Myth

James E. McWilliams, 07.15.09, 06:00 PM EDT

Forbes Magazine dated August 03, 2009

Why buying from nearby farmers won't save the planet.

Quote:
...One analysis, by Rich Pirog of the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, showed that transportation accounts for only 11% of food's carbon footprint...

Until our food system becomes more transparent, there is one thing you can do to shrink the carbon footprint of your dinner: Take the meat off your plate. No matter how you slice it, it takes more energy to bring meat, as opposed to plants, to the table. It takes 6 pounds of grain to make a pound of chicken and 10 to 16 pounds to make a pound of beef. That difference translates into big differences in inputs. It requires 2,400 liters of water to make a burger and only 13 liters to grow a tomato. A majority of the water in the American West goes toward the production of pigs, chickens and cattle.

The average American eats 273 pounds of meat a year. Give up red meat once a week and you'll save as much energy as if the only food miles in your diet were the distance to the nearest truck farmer.

If you want to make a statement, ride your bike to the farmer's market. If you want to reduce greenhouse gases, become a vegetarian.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/08...n-my-mind.html

I think he should properly say vegan, as I understand that other animal products are ultimately as harmful to the environment as meat - perhaps it's strategic, as veganism is seen as too extreme for a lot of people...many can wrap their minds around the idea of vegetarianism but even a lot of vegetarians shut off to the word vegan and its perception of difficulty and deprivation. Unfortunately I notice on another site that promotes Meatless Mondays that a lot of people posting what they're having just load up on the dairy and eggs that day.

Re. the comments section, it's clear that no matter what the argument, many will never give up meat until they're forced to/the tide of public opinion turns against them (as with many social movements).

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Beginner

The numbers are staggering when you get a look at them and start doing some mulitplication:

Quote:
Interesting Water statistics:

A day's food for a meat eater requires over 15,000 litres of water.

A day's food for a vegetarian requires 5,000 litres of water.

A day's food for a vegan requires only 1,500 litres of water.

http://www.veganaustralia.net/

Quote:
It is estimated that a whopping 2,500 gallons of water are used to produce a single pound of beef. Think it's unbelievable? Think again. Water is fed to the animal from the time it is born up until the time it is sent to the slaughterhouse. A cow can consume about 50 gallons per day and more than 18,000 gallons per year. A cow raised for its meat is usually slaughtered anytime from 3 to 5 years of ago, amounting to more than 54,000 to 90,000 gallons of water annually. Even worse, a dairy cow is typically sent to slaughter when it is 7 to 9 years of age, amounting to over 126,000 to 162,000 gallons of water in its lifetime.

These numbers have been scientifically proven, and its evidence is backed by the trillions of gallons of water we lose in our underground aquifers every year. And this is just the beginning. Modern day factory farming has taken its toll on our planet. Imagine how much water can be saved by simply cutting down on meat consumption, going vegetarian, or eating a vegan diet, which is not eating any animal products, including meat and dairy products. We must do every thing we can in our power to combat water shortages. Think about saving the planet for our children and the future generations.

http://www.articlesbase.com/environm...an-526278.html

Thanks for posting that Irizary -- good to know that the eating locally thing is just not even close to choosing a vegetarian diet and that a vegan diet is even much, much better for the environment

#3 Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Beginner

What's amazing about it is that...it's in Forbes magazine of all places. It's getting harder and harder for people to claim ignorance to the environmental damage and animal cruelty behind meat...

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#4 Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Wow! Thanks for posting that.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Beginner

Great article that I'll be happy to share. Thanks Irizary.
#6 Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Great article. Thanks for posting that. It's a shame that most of the responses to it are from ranchers vigorously defending themselves with gems like this:

"Beef is packed full of 10 essential nutrients like zinc, iron, protein, and B-vitamins. Mr. McWilliams, could you suggest a better, more enjoyable way to boost your immune system, increase your energy and promote circulatory health than eating a tender, flavorful steak?"

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#7 Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the link. Hopefully it will influence some omnis to consider going veg*n.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#8 Old 09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Irizary. Very good article!
#9 Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Beginner

It is a good article written to promote James E. McWilliams' new book: "Just Food: Where Locavores Get it Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly."

I am reading the book right now and plan to review the book on VB in the next couple days if I am not too busy. So far I think that it is an excellent book and the best book I have seen written for a popular audience which is interested in the science and reality of the environmental impact instead of just taking the easy road of assuming that one's ideology must be environmentally correct. I have yet to read the chapter on meat. I have however read his chapters on eating locally produced food (which he shows is worse for the environment as often as it is better) and eating organic food (which...well, I will write a review).
#10 Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Beginner

Thank you Vegmedic! I would be interested to hear your opinion of the book.
#11 Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Unfortunately I notice on another site that promotes Meatless Mondays that a lot of people posting what they're having just load up on the dairy and eggs that day.

That is annoying.
#12 Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

That is annoying.

They gotta start somewhere, most people start by being vegetarian.
#13 Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Beginner

Great to see a good article like that in a mainstream magazine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchabbey View Post

Great article. Thanks for posting that. It's a shame that most of the responses to it are from ranchers vigorously defending themselves with gems like this:

"Beef is packed full of 10 essential nutrients like zinc, iron, protein, and B-vitamins. Mr. McWilliams, could you suggest a better, more enjoyable way to boost your immune system, increase your energy and promote circulatory health than eating a tender, flavorful steak?"

umm, eat vegetables?
#14 Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM
ket
Beginner

sharing this one on facebook. I know many people who have switched from vegetarianism to locavorism -- I hope this makes them critically analyze their eating.

It's a great article because being a locavore does seem to make a lot of sense, and I couldn't adequately critique it before.
#15 Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post

They gotta start somewhere, most people start by being vegetarian.

Yes, but eating dairy products is still obtained from cows so the environmental damage is the same whether it is beef or cow's milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

umm, eat vegetables?

Don't talk crazy!
#16 Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Yes, but eating dairy products is still obtained from cows so the environmental damage is the same whether it is beef or cow's milk.

I agree with you, but I would rather people go vegetarian than nothing at all.
#17 Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post

I agree with you, but I would rather people go vegetarian than nothing at all.

Yeah I would too but I think most people seem to be missing the point of meat free Mondays if they just replace meat with extra dairy. Hasn't anyone heard of beans, lentils, nuts etc.
#18 Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Re. the comments section, it's clear that no matter what the argument, many will never give up meat until they're forced to/the tide of public opinion turns against them (as with many social movements).

or never!

ETA: I'm actually astounded this is appearing in forbes magazine. The tide may really be turning!
#19 Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Tom
Beginner

Quote:

What's amazing about it is that...it's in Forbes magazine of all places. It's getting harder and harder for people to claim ignorance to the environmental damage and animal cruelty behind meat...

Yep! It's heartening to see that. Thanks for posting!

Quote:

Whaaaa?! "Circulatory health"? I agree meat has flavor appeal for those who eat it but there's no denying it's an artery-clogger.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#20 Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 AM
SPJ
Beginner

Thanks for posting this, it's a good article.
#21 Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:

LMAO! Thanks, Forbes-reading ranchers, for giving me a great laugh. I love it. Mmm...Lipitor...

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page