• 4 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 3 Post By Symondezyn
  • 2 Post By Sidhuriel
  • 1 Post By Enchanted

#1 Old 08-31-2016, 06:50 AM
Administrator

10 Top Reasons To Stop Eating Eggs

One of the first questions people curious about veganism ask is usually "Why don't vegans eat eggs?"

After all, most of us grew up imagining that eggs come from happy hens on Old Macdonald's Farm. You see this image of idyllic small farms full of happy animals pushed in everything from TV advertisements to children's classrooms so it's no surprise that so many of us have accepted it as the truth.

Unfortunately, the reality of industrial farming is far more grim than Old Macdonald would have you believe. Egg laying hens are among the most abused of all farm animals. Here are just some of the reasons to ditch eggs from your diet:

1. Hens Don't Get to Retire

A lot of animal lovers who eat eggs reason that laying eggs doesn't hurt the chicken and the eggs aren't fertilized anyway so it's not causing any harm. A reasonable assumption.

What they don't realize is that laying hens don't get to retire when they get older and their egg production starts to slow down, they get slaughtered just like chickens bred for meat do after only a couple years. Therefore when you buy a carton of eggs at the store you're helping pay for the slaughter of chickens the same way you would be if you were buying meat.

2. Battery cages

Most egg-laying hens on factory farms are crammed into tiny cages called battery cages for their entire lives, they never get to stretch their wings or peck the dirt or do anything that a bird would naturally do. Birds crave movement and mental stimulation just like people do and living in such cramped conditions until they are slaughtered is agony for them.

Imagine being trapped on a crowded bus for your entire life and never being able to get out of your seat or move around or stretch your legs, that's how millions of hens spend their entire lives.

Not only are the cages small they are also made of mesh and after spending their entire lives standing on metal grating the birds feet often become injured. The cages are also so filthy and crowded that each bird may only get as much floor space as a sheet of letter-size paper, many birds die before they ever make it to the slaughterhouse.

3. Debeaking

Being crammed together into tiny cages for their entire lives causes hens a severe amount of stress and they often react to that stress by pecking at each other, to prevent this they are debeaked.

This means that a portion of their beaks are seared off with a hot blade with no anesthetic. A chicken's beak is filled with nerves and debeaking can result in severe and even chronic pain.

4. Culling male chicks

Male chicks are useless to the egg industry so after they are hatched they are culled or in other words killed. Up to 260 million each year are ground up while still alive or suffocated in plastic bags or gassed.

5. Hens are selectively bred to produce an abnormal amount of eggs

Through selective breeding hens have been artificially induced to yield higher egg production than ever before, an egg laying hen now produces over twice as many eggs as they would have a century ago which puts a large amount of stress on their bodies.

6. Free range, cage-free and humane labels are deceiving

Labels like free range or cage-free or humane may seem like the answer to the cruelty found on factory farms but these labels are allowed to be very misused by the egg industry.

Cage free birds are often crammed into huge warehouses together with barely enough space to move around and no access to the outdoors, while free-range birds often have very limited access to the outdoors and are still debeaked to prevent pecking caused by overcrowding.

7. Hens are starved to force them to molt and lay more eggs

In order to shock their bodies into another egg-laying cycle when production declines, hens are sometimes starved and denied any food for up to two weeks — a process known as “force molting.”

8. Undercover videos of cruelty

Organizations like Mercy For Animals have uncovered horrific abuse at farms that sell eggs across the United States and have helped raise awareness about how rotten the egg industry is:

9. Backyard chickens aren't the answer

As awareness of the cruelty associated with factory farming rises the idea of raising chickens in your own backyard is becoming more popular. People reason that if they raise the chickens themselves they can ensure there is no cruelty involved in collecting the eggs.

The sad reality is that those backyard chickens have to come from somewhere and they come from commercial hatcheries where the male and "defective" female chicks are still culled and their parents are bred and killed as young adults.

Another issue is that a lot of people aren't prepared for the responsibility and work involved with raising chickens and many end up mistreated or abandoned.

10. We don't need eggs and there are delicious cruelty-free alternatives

There are now so many more egg alternatives than ever before, whether you are craving a breakfast scramble or delicious baked goods and desserts there is the perfect plant-based alternative. With the discovery of aquafaba (fun fact: it's bean juice!) you can even make egg-free meringue!

To replace one egg in a recipe you could use:

1 banana

1/4 cup of apple sauce

1/4 cup of silken tofu

1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water

1/4 cup pumpkin puree

With so many great alternatives it's easier than ever to make the compassionate choice and switch to a plant-based diet.

Resources:

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-u...buse-chickens/

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/learn/f...ming/chickens/

http://www.humanemyth.org/mediabase/1049.htm

http://www.humanemyth.org/mediabase/1053.htm

http://www.upc-online.org/freerange.html

http://peacefulprairie.org/backyard-eggs.html

http://www.peta.org/living/food/egg-replacements/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...meringues.html

http://www.chickenrunrescue.org/

Author Credit: Article provided by @Werewolf Girl
Cricket VS, pammyy and Tuquan like this.

Last edited by Cricket VS; 08-31-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2016, 03:31 PM

Red face RE: 10 Top Reasons To Stop Eating Eggs

But, hypothetically, if I were to kidnap (chicken-nap?) a hen from a farm, or a warehouse, and provide it with the perfect amount of care and attention, would it be morally acceptable to eat the eggs it lays?
#3 Old 08-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBoards942012 View Post
But, hypothetically, if I were to kidnap (chicken-nap?) a hen from a farm, or a warehouse, and provide it with the perfect amount of care and attention, would it be morally acceptable to eat the eggs it lays?
But since you don't need to eat eggs for either the nutrition or the taste, why would you? The longer we hold to the false notion that somehow eggs are necessary for either our health or tastebuds, the longer chickens will continue to be enslaved. Stopping consumption completely will do far more for chickens than perpetuating the myth that all we need to do is find happy eggs and everything will be ok.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

#4 Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That way of thinking seems comparable to removing a mentally challenged person from an abusive environment, then reconciling your efforts by stealing their belongings they wouldn't miss.
Or wearing

The best way to judge if your actions are ethical is to think of the impact those actions would have if everyone followed them.
Taking eggs from a chicken you've rescued shows that you desire them, and if they are so desirable than why shouldn't everyone be able to have them?

The fact is they're not neccessary, and any health benefits are best utilized by the chickens themselves, and wild animals that come across them
pammyy likes this.
#5 Old 08-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Love

Smile

The idea of people eating eggs is extremely disturbing. What's even more disturbing is searing their beaks off and grinding the chicks up alive. That is seriously not right. Leave the chickens alone.
pammyy likes this.

It's all about love!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 08-31-2016, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Great article. Is this an original article for the forum?
pammyy likes this.
#7 Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Not sure if you're trolling, but in my view it would be (borderline) provided the chicken was not paying attention to the eggs.
#8 Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Eggs were actually the first foods I gave up, even before meat, and I think they are probably more immoral than some meats.

However I wonder if vegans might be better off conceding the arguments, or side stepping them, when this kind of backyard chicken argument comes up. It is such a minor issue compared to the intense cruelty on modern day egg farms, that a better answer might be: "not sure, but what's more important is that you don't buy any eggs at the shop, since that is really cruel" and push the argument back in that direction. Most people asking that question (assume they're not trolling you) are just testing out how extreme vegans are. They are not really going to raise backyard chickens.

I realise this is not a very vegan argument, but as a matter of reducing animal cruelty, making your arguments more acceptable and palatable to the general population, and not seeming extreme, it may make some sense. Once the person enquiring has seen that vegans are not a bunch of extremists, they can become vegan, and probably will never raise backyard chickens anyway.

I cannot accept that it is fundamentally immoral to eat an egg in every situation. The real issue is that in practice it will be immoral in at least 99.9% of cases and I think that's what the argument should be. Let's say tomorrow I find a chicken plant nearby is closing down and all the chickens are being killed. I go there and ask to rescue one. They agree. I take her home. I keep her for a while in an environment, my garden, where she has no predators, and no fences, and could in theory wander off into the nearby forest and become a wild chicken, but she chooses to stay in my garden where I give her food and treat her as a friend. One day, she lays an egg and dies later that day in an accident (ie not for health reasons so I know the egg is fine). I bury the chicken respectfully. I know for certain that the egg is unfertilised because she has had no contact with other chickens for a year. In this situation, it can't be immoral to eat the egg, can it?

I wouldn't eat the egg in that situation, but I wouldn't say it would be wrong to do so.
#9 Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 PM
Vegan since February 2011

I can't wait for the day when eggs are no longer even considered food, whether they are laid naturally or not. They are so unnecessary.

Also, with regard to backyard chickens and eggs, not many people will buy from these due to the expense and inconvenience of acquiring them (especially if the seller/owner doesn't force the chicken to lay eggs but relies on their natural ability) compared to cheap factory farmed eggs... let alone spend the time and energy it takes to care for a backyard chicken (housing, food, cleaning up after them, learning local laws about how and where it is appropriate to keep them, what happens when they become sick and need vet care, finding a vet willing to help a chicken, keeping them safe from other animals such as neighborhood cats, foxes, raccoons etc).

My coworkers have been fascinated with how I manage to make a variety of dishes egg free and they still taste awesome! I have at least one coworker who now makes chickpea bars with no egg.

Great article!
Werewolf Girl and pammyy like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 08-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
Great article. Is this an original article for the forum?
It is, thanks! Written by me.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#11 Old 09-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Well done with the article, let's how it finds it way to a wide audience via lurkers on this forum, shares on facebook over time, or whatever.

You make a good point about recipes. When I stopped eating eggs, I just stopped eating eggs. There was no need to replace them with anything. But then, I don't do recipes. Either someone else makes my food or I just make ready made stuff. But for someone that has recipes books, that is a concern. I assume you are supposed to use any one of the things you mention as a replacement - rather than all of them at once!
#12 Old 09-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
VeggieBoards Admin:

If you are telling us to avoid eggs (and I agree), then why are you posting ads saying "How to start the day with eggs, with the Bacon Brothers!"

Please remove the many meat/egg ads from VeggieBoards. Those ads are not getting any clicks, and you're irritating us. We've told you about this problem before, and you've done nothing to fix it.

I don't want to hear you ask us to send you screenshots. Do your own work.
"VB" is nothing more than the owner/manager. Apparently the ads produce enough revenue to keep them coming.
Werewolf Girl wrote the article--it's only the members who care about promoting veg'nism
I've been using adblocker so I don't see them
#13 Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
"VB" is nothing more than the owner/manager. Apparently the ads produce enough revenue to keep them coming.
Werewolf Girl wrote the article--it's only the members who care about promoting veg'nism
I've been using adblocker so I don't see them
Thank you Silva. I've removed my rant.

_________
"A human being in perfection ought always to preserve a calm and peaceful mind, and never to allow passion or a transitory desire to disturb his tranquility. If no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved; Caesar would have spared his country; America would have been discovered more gradually; and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed"

From Frankenstein. Publication year: 1818
#14 Old 09-09-2016, 06:00 PM

Smile Love Eggs...

I try to eat an egg a day if practical...
Agree with everything in this article except the back yard prospects.
It is absolutely ludicrous that anyone would take a position that small locally maintained farms should not embrace eggs..
Every other point made would see an improvement if there was an increase in this area.
I'm really not sure if vegetarians and vegans are compatible in a way that can move us toward common goals with regard to the nefarious standard practices of the factory farm industry.
Keep this one quote in mind Vegan Overlords....
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
I don't see that.
Vegans wants to criticize and maintain positions that degrade vegetarians.
I love my Greek Yogurt, Eggs and great cheese from all over the world and if you have a problem with that....
It's your hang up not mine.
#15 Old 09-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

@Ozzy --
Every living thing is food. Vegans simply acknowledge that when plant foods are so easily available taking from others shouldn't be a consideration.
It seems that few people even argue about this that actually have need of food, but mostly those who have other options.

You've heard of the expensive coffee that comes from civet cats? They eat the coffee beans, poop it out, and somehow people have discovered that they can brew a coffee from those beans that they favor. I suppose all was good when it was just the native jungle population that picked through the poop without disturbing anything, but when it's desirability got out, it turned ugly. Outsiders saw it as opportunity, and like the innocent egg gathering, saw profit.
Quote:
But the charm has now evaporated, and the only thing left is the repulsive. Kopi luwak has become hugely popular worldwide, and as a result wild luwaks (palm civets) are being poached and caged in terrible conditions all over South East Asia, and force fed coffee cherries to produce commercially viable quantities of the precious coffee beans in their poo.

But even as these cruel battery farms, especially in Indonesia, were pouring out tonnes of it a year, the coffee trade was still pedalling the myth that kopi luwak was incredibly rare, derived from coffee chosen by discerning wild luwaks.
From https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...bly-kopi-luwak
Now people are asking for humane sources of this 'desirable' coffee--just as they are wanting humane eggs.
It isn't the question of whether or not it's "possible" for eggs to be ethically sourced, it's the idea that it perpetuates a demand for them. That demand cannot be sustained by backyard farmers.
It isn't just food, eggs are used in everything from pharmacudicals, health and beauty products, paints, and tons of other products. While there aren't viable alternatives for some medical uses now, there are alternatives to most others. Continuing to argue or promote the idea of humane eggs does nothing but avert the attention away from the plight of factory hens-which is where these products get there eggs from.
The vast majority of people simple want eggs. They may 'care' about where they come from, maybe enough to choose the carton with a 'humane' stamp on it, but what it really comes down to is they want them cheap, and convienent. They may have made a trip to a farm and purchased directly from where they could see the happy hens, and they will tell that story of happy hens over and over

Really what constitutes 'backyard chickens"? Does seeing a sign in someones yard that reads "fresh eggs for sale" give any information on how the hens are treated? Kinda like the backyard dog breeders are often puppy mills? Yeah, we don't need breeders either
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#16 Old 09-10-2016, 11:39 PM

The whole reason I went veggie was because of my rescued bird, Ziggy. She had night frights and was feather plucking when I got her and now she's finally doing a lot better. After I saw how much of a personality and capacity to enjoy life birds have and how sad and scared they can become in the wrong environment - there was no way I could continue supporting the egg industry (or meat in general obvi).

I LEGIT bought my eggs from a local farm. I think that the whole 'happily raised' thing is a total load of cr@p. Guarantee they'd be happier if they didn't have to lay eggs for humans. Birds are intelligent and really do need specialized care if humans are interfering with their natural lives.

Didn't know about force molting, really great post including a lot of useful info!!
#17 Old 09-12-2016, 03:36 PM

Although it is difficult to not jump up and down with emotion when giving reasons why not to eat eggs (factory farm torture tactics), I can certainly agree that it is better to light a candle and show the way instead.
- The more palatable we make our foods, the more people we strive to expose to vegan foods (w/o saying anything about animal torture), the more likely people will be to eventually attempt conversion to veganism.
- I need to work on controlling my emotions, for the sake of the animals.
#18 Old 09-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Plant Powered

The egg industry and the dairy industry make me infinitely sad, and anyone who has seen even a fraction of the truth of these horrible practices cannot in good conscience argue for why it's OK. The theories under which circumstances eating an egg would/could be acceptable are pointless, because the fact is, as @silva so eloquently pointed out, ANY consumption of these products perpetuates the demand for them, and there is no sustainable and ethical way to meet these demands in today's world. The only reason to have backyard chickens, IMO, is to give a loving home to retired hens, or rescue chicks that would have otherwise been destroyed. I would love help rescue chickens one day, because I think they are adorable, intelligent, funny birds with wonderful personalities. If they lay an egg, it's theirs to keep, not mine to steal <3 ^^
#19 Old 10-23-2016, 10:33 PM

Question

Not necessarily about the thread, but how do I post a discussion? Can't seem to figure it out! agh!
#20 Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntobe View Post
Not necessarily about the thread, but how do I post a discussion? Can't seem to figure it out! agh!
We have a discussion forum tutorial here: http://www.veggieboards.com/index.ph...forum-tutorial

Let me know if you still need help!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#21 Old 11-06-2016, 12:13 AM
Beginner

Good reasons they are

I am vegetarian but I've stopped eating eggs quite a while ago, and I do not miss them. The way chickens are treated is abhorrent, especially when you consider that they are very intelligent and gentle animals.

Eggs really don't provide anything I need or miss, and there's plenty of baking that can be done without them. Eggs are close to meat too I think, after all it's something that can turn into a chicken if left to hatch. And I don't kill, so I won't eat eggs.
Werewolf Girl and sarafan911 like this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#22 Old 11-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Cute fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
Well done with the article, let's how it finds it way to a wide audience via lurkers on this forum, shares on facebook over time, or whatever.

You make a good point about recipes. When I stopped eating eggs, I just stopped eating eggs. There was no need to replace them with anything. But then, I don't do recipes. Either someone else makes my food or I just make ready made stuff. But for someone that has recipes books, that is a concern. I assume you are supposed to use any one of the things you mention as a replacement - rather than all of them at once!
Even if someone else makes your food or you eat ready made stuff you could encounter eggs. I found eggs, especially egg white, in foods where was totally unnecessary. Reading labels is a crucial step, it's like stepping on a mined field

Come visit me at
- new weekly content about health, weightloss, fitness and lifestyle. I'd love to read your comments! ♥
#23 Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuriel View Post
Good reasons they are

I am vegetarian but I've stopped eating eggs quite a while ago, and I do not miss them. The way chickens are treated is abhorrent, especially when you consider that they are very intelligent and gentle animals.

Eggs really don't provide anything I need or miss, and there's plenty of baking that can be done without them. Eggs are close to meat too I think, after all it's something that can turn into a chicken if left to hatch. And I don't kill, so I won't eat eggs.
Just so this doesn't get misconstrued- Eggs in stores are NOT fertilized, which is why eggs are ok for a vegetarian diet

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#24 Old 11-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

I have yet to try aquafaba--funny I want to try it now cause I've finally gotten tired of chickpeas!

I have found that 3 tablespoons of besan (chickpea flour) mixed with 3 tablespoons water is the perfect egg sub for things like cookies or quickbreads. You can really taste it in the raw batter but it's not noticable at all once baked

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#25 Old 11-06-2016, 10:32 AM

Applesauce makes a great egg substitute in lots of baked goods, too. I learned that at least 20 years ago as a trick to reduce fat in my muffins.

The egg substitute one chooses is a function of what flavors go well with whatever it is. There really are a lot of options.

As for Ozzy...the main thing that drove me to veganism was how barbaric the practice of chick culling is in the egg industry, and that happens whether the females who are allowed to age are treated well or not.
#26 Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 PM

Red face

The general public are so very blind to what goes on in the factory farming industry. It truly makes me sick the terrible things that go on. I have studied the subject intensely and the biggest farce is the so called "Free ranged Egg". The conditions that a free ranges reared chicken live in are barely better than the alternative. The media will have us believe that chickens are in green fields full feathered and happy, the reality is some what different. Regulations are slack and overcrowding is still paramount. Please think carefully and do your research people
DebrahM likes this.

Last edited by Enchanted; 12-06-2016 at 01:34 PM.
#27 Old 12-23-2016, 01:05 AM

Great Post, I just subscribed only to thanks for that!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page