Why do people choose to eliminate meat or all animal products from their diets? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 3 Post By VeggieBoards
  • 2 Post By highlyoriginal
  • 2 Post By Ad Elie
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By octavine

#1 Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Why do people choose to eliminate meat or all animal products from their diets?

Why are you a veg*n? Chances are if you ask that question in a room full of vegans or vegetarians, you’ll get more than a dozen different answers. The reasons people choose to become vegetarian or vegan are varied, and many people cite a combination of reasons. While the decision to switch to a veggie lifestyle is highly personal, not every veggie eats this way for the same reason and it helps to understand some of the different reasons people make the switch to a veggie lifestyle.

Health Reasons

Some people opt to become veg*ns for health reasons. Veggie diets naturally lend themselves to low fat, low cholesterol and high fiber diets. Vegans can easily avoid common allergens like honey and milk products. If you have a special dietary concern, you might find it easier to switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet.

Other people turn to the veggie lifestyle as an effort to lose weight, gain weight or maintain a healthy weight. While some people view weight control via vegetarianism and veganism as a cosmetic or aesthetic issue, others still follow veggie diets to control weight for health reasons.

Health conditions like insulin resistance, hypo- and hyper-thyroid and others require a specialized diet to help maintain a healthy weight. The constant monitoring, vigilance and changed relationship with food can help these people customize their diets easier than an omnivorous diet can.

Ethical Treatment of Animals

Concerns about the ethical treatment of animals is another reason people choose to become vegetarian, and especially, vegan. Vegetarianism is primarily a dietary choice that excludes the consumption of animal flesh. On the other hand, veganism not only eschews the consumption of meat, but also abstains from using any animal by-products whatsoever, including milk, eggs, honey, and the like, and also abstains from the wearing of leather, wool, or any other product obtained from an animal, living or dead, and wherever possible, refrains from using products known to be tested on animals, by way of vivisection.

As awareness grows of the often horrendous treatment animals are subjected to, such as cattle being hormonally altered to produce more milk than they otherwise naturally would, or chickens being confined in dungeon-like conditions, never to see daylight, to become virtual egg-laying machines, or baby chicks being ground alive, because they are of no use to the industry, the plight of animals for the profit of people becomes a significant motivation for choosing the lifestyle.

Religious Restrictions

Different religions hold vegetarianism and veganism as a standard for their followers. Hinduism and Buddhism are two religions that preach nonviolence toward living things, including animals. Adherents of these religions stick to a vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.

Seventh Day Adventists and Jains also keep to a strict no-meat diet for spiritual reasons, Roman Catholics will generally observe a piscatorial (fish) diet on Fridays during Lent, although Traditionalist Catholics abstain from meat entirely for the entire 40 days of Lent.

Other religions don’t necessarily endorse veggie lifestyles for their adherents, but find veggie options useful. Jews keeping Kosher or Muslims following a Halal lifestyle will often opt for veggie meals if Kosher or Halal meat dishes aren’t available.

Food Safety Concerns

The American Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that of the more than 48 million people who get sick from food borne illnesses, 128,000 are hospitalized and more than 3,000 people die each year in the United States alone. These statistics are staggering and lead many people to choose vegetarianism and veganism as a way to avoid illness.

While the CDC data for 1998-2008 lists produce as the main contributor for food-borne illnesses (46 percent of all cases of sickness and 23 percent of all deaths), the statistics pointing to meat and poultry have a slightly higher death toll at 29 percent with an overall sickness rate of 22 percent.

Deaths from contaminated dairy and eggs sit at 15 percent with an illness rate of 20 percent, while deaths from shellfish and seafood sit at 6.4 percent while illness rates are at 6.1 percent.

Taken at a glance, it seems you have a higher chance of getting sick from contaminated produce, but people are as likely to get sick from eating meat and animal byproducts – and when they do get sick, it’s more severe.

In addition to the risk of contamination, people who go veggie over concerns about food safety avoid parasitic infections and zoonotic illnesses – those that can be passed from animals to humans. Mad cow disease in contaminated beef and trichinosis from under-cooked pork are just two examples.

Still, some avoid meat and animal by-products to avoid excess hormones and additives that they feel are harmful to the human body. This is an issue of both the ethical treatment of animals and food safety concerns, so it’s not uncommon to hear this as a reason for choosing a veggie-rich lifestyle.

Environmental Protection and Global Concerns

Going meatless isn’t always about health, beliefs or animals. Sometimes it’s a matter of saving the world. Large-scale meat and poultry production is, by and large, environmentally unsustainable.

Fecal matter from farm animals contributes to air pollution and antibiotics used in livestock, slurry runoff, feces and other farm waste can contaminate the water supply and ground. Livestock farming for food production also requires a large swathe of land. For example, large tracts of the Amazon rainforest and other forested lands have been cleared to make room for raising beef cattle and other animals.

The quality of life for those living near battery farms, large-scale cattle operations and slaughterhouses is greatly reduced, as well. The stench, waste and presence of these operations can make people sick – literally and figuratively.

If these weren’t enough reasons that going veggie was good for the environment, it’s easy to consider that the amount of space, resources and money going to raising animals for slaughter could be put to more efficient use raising plants that could make a huge difference in the global food shortage. Think about how much grain it takes to feed a cow to adulthood and then imagine how many people it could feed instead.

Why Are You a Vegetarian/Vegan?

We’ve explored just some of the reasons people choose vegetarian or vegan lifestyles. Many people do it for a combination of reasons and the decision is often personal.

In the end, it doesn’t matter why you’re a vegetarian or vegan, as long as you’re safe, healthy and happy with your decision. Not all veggies agree on every topic related to vegetarianism, but we’re all working toward a similar goal and using similar methods to make the world a better place and be healthy enough to live in it.

Name:  vb.png
Views: 564
Size:  4.6 KB
LedBoots, Ladyjay and Thalassa4 like this.

Last edited by CricketVS; 11-24-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 PM

We start remembering we're animals too - just because we believe we're the superior or smartest species does not make it so. Once you start realizing intelligence alive is better than IQ dead,
and when you start imagining your body parts or your skin etc.. when cooking as another animal would possibly see it can really give you insight on how we treat one another.

Not only do we treat one another fairly terrible and argue over pitiful stuff, but we believe sometimes even try to play the 'act' of superior species but we are terrible examples. However, working together we can all learn from one another.
#3 Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

It is fun to see how our motivation can change too. As an exemple, I started doing the veggie thing mostly for the environment and now when people buy meat I see our horrible behaviour towards the animals.
LedBoots and franciababies like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !

#4 Old 12-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have no reasons to eat animals, and many reasons too not.
I don't think we can call ourselves 'civilized' while enslaving and murdering animals.
#5 Old 12-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Where are all the references to the 'facts' stated in the article?

I'm not trying to pick or bully. There are a lot of statements that should be backed up with a reference (preferably a well-known study, science-based article, etc) in order to make this a stronger article.
#6 Old 12-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
Where are all the references to the 'facts' stated in the article?

I'm not trying to pick or bully. There are a lot of statements that should be backed up with a reference (preferably a well-known study, science-based article, etc) in order to make this a stronger article.
you can find the research and references everywhere. Every hospital in the Cleveland area is endorsing vegan diets- the Cleveland Clinic has yet another cardiologist gone vegan. Kaiser permante, the American Diabetes something, AHA,
Here's a news documentary -
franciababies likes this.
#7 Old 12-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Another new book by Dr Micheal Gregor-
http://nutritionfacts.org/book/
The facts abound in favor of plant based diets
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 12-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
you can find the research and references everywhere. Every hospital in the Cleveland area is endorsing vegan diets- the Cleveland Clinic has yet another cardiologist gone vegan. Kaiser permante, the American Diabetes something, AHA,
Here's a news documentary -
https://youtu.be/BYzlfPdpAeY
A good article will have the information delivered to the reader, the references will be included. If I have to research the information myself, why read the article?
#9 Old 12-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
A good article will have the information delivered to the reader, the references will be included. If I have to research the information myself, why read the article?
If you click the links provided in the article, you will find the sources. If you only want straight peer reviewed scientific studies, check the journals.
#10 Old 12-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
If you click the links provided in the article, you will find the sources. If you only want straight peer reviewed scientific studies, check the journals.
Not trying to be difficult, just trying to give some feedback that may provide for more substantial articles in the future. I've clicked through the two references provided and couldn't find any of the information that was presented in this article as fact.
#11 Old 12-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not trying to be difficult, just trying to give some feedback that may provide for more substantial articles in the future. I've clicked through the two references provided and couldn't find any of the information that was presented in this article as fact.
I do get you're saying, esp. coming from the forums administer!
Frankly these articles aren't very becoming. This one and esp the one about feeding your cat!
TailFin likes this.
#12 Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Why do people choose to eliminate meat or all animal products from their diets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I do get you're saying, esp. coming from the forums administer!

Frankly these articles aren't very becoming. This one and esp the one about feeding your cat!

Agreed! The articles (especially this one) should be convincing to non-veg*ns.

Anyways, I'll stop bugging, haha.
#13 Old 01-15-2016, 05:14 AM

Go Vegan!

I became a vegetarian when I was 15 years old and saw a calf born for the first time. He was a baby bull and the farmer told me he would be turned into a hot dog. That was it for me and I have never looked back. I raised my two kids as vegetarians too. Once they grew up and got more informed, they turned into vegans. I joined them and now we are all happily and healthily vegans. Go Vegan!!
Beautiful Joe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page