12Likes
  • 2 Post By CricketVS
  • 6 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 3 Post By Joan Kennedy
  • 1 Post By Thalassa4

#1 Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Eating Drought Friendly

Most major agricultural areas experience a drought at some point or another. For example, California experiences them on an alarmingly frequent basis – and that state supplies nearly half of all vegetables and 75 percent of all fruits grown in the United States. When an area is under a drought, vegetarians and vegans are at a distinct advantage – pound for pound, vegetables consume less water to produce than meat. However, it’s to everyone’s benefit to eat drought-friendly when the areas that supply our food are cutting back on water usage.

The Veggie Advantage

When speaking about how much water a food takes to produce, fruits and vegetables come out on top as the clear winners over meats. When calculating the amount of water needed to raise an animal for slaughter, the amount of water the animal drinks isn’t a sufficient indicator of how much water is actually used: you also need to factor in the amount of water needed to grow the crops that the animal eats.

When you think about it, it’s no surprise that meat production consumes more water than fruits and vegetables. While actual figures vary based on region and farmer, the results are usually staggering. For example, producing a pound of bacon costs roughly eight times as much water as it does to produce a pound of asparagus.

Drought-friendly Vegetables

Even though vegetables are more drought-friendly than animal products and by-products, some still require more water than others do. And when every drop counts, you want to choose the vegetables with the lowest water footprint.

Surprisingly, leafy greens fare pretty well on water usage. Cabbages and other brassicas, kale, spinach and lettuce aren’t big water hogs. Brussels sprouts are drought-friendly fare, as are cauliflower and broccoli. Carrots and turnips, in addition to being vitamin powerhouses, are drought-safe, so munch with abandon.

Tomatoes and tomato products are generally okay, too, but watch out for dried tomatoes, which consume large amounts of water to produce due to the machinery used in the dehydration process. Potatoes are also drought compliant, requiring very little water to produce.

If you’re looking to add a little flavor to your diet, onions are also drought-friendly. Eggplant, pumpkins and squash are drought-safe and provide an interesting taste and texture variation from the usual vegetables. Cucumbers, which seem like they might be water-needy because of their high water content, are also drought-safe.

Drought Safe Fruits

In general, fruits require a little more water to produce than vegetables, but they still aren’t as water-intensive as animal products. Some of the worst offenders, like plums and cherries, are high in their water usage, but don’t let that dissuade you from adding some sweetness to your diet.

If you like berries, you’re in luck. Strawberries, raspberries, currants and cranberries are all highly drought-tolerant fruits that you can eat with a clean conscience. Blueberries and gooseberries are considered fairly low in water usage, but aren’t quite as low as the others.

Tropical fruit lovers can rejoice. Crops like pineapples, papaya and even mango are drought friendly. Since they’re native to hot climates that don’t always see a lot of rain, they’re used to going without water and don’t require much during cultivation.

One surprising fruit that’s drought safe is the watermelon. Like the cucumber, the pulp is high in water content, but it requires very little during the growth process.

Drought Compliant Nuts

If you rely on nuts for the bulk of your protein, you might be disheartened when they make the news due to their water needs during a drought. While it’s true that nuts like almonds and walnuts require a lot of water to produce, it’s all relative: even eating a full pound of walnuts doesn’t strain the ecosystem as much as eating a pound of hamburger.

Even so, some nuts are more drought-friendly than others are. Chestnuts and pistachios are less thirsty than cashews, which along with almonds, require the most water to produce.

Drought-friendly Legumes

Beans and other legumes are another important source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. If you want to choose drought-friendly foods, steer clear of the usual black beans, pinto beans and kidney beans. Instead, opt for some broad beans, horse beans or chickpeas. Everyone’s favorite, the lentil, is fairly water-intensive, but the nutritional value might outweigh the costs.

Growing a Drought Garden

Since water usage varies considerably from farmer to farmer, growing your own vegetables is a sure way of knowing how much water your food supply is using. If you’ve got the space and inclination, you can plant a drought-tolerant garden to ease up on your grocery bills.

Choosing your plants depends on your location. What might require less water in the Pacific Northwest region could tax water rations in the southwest. For best results, consult with your local extension office or master gardener program. They can steer you in the right direction.

Name:  vb.png
Views: 423
Size:  4.6 KB
Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.

Last edited by CricketVS; 10-06-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

You missed a critical fact. Nutrient/calorie density. A pound of lettuce is less nutrient/calorie dense than a pound of steak.

I am not saying you're wrong, but anyone reading this that isn't already veg*n is going to see this flaw and dismiss the article.
#3 Old 08-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

"When an area is under a drought, vegetarians and vegans are at a distinct advantage – pound for pound, vegetables consume less water to produce than meat."

I love this! I went vegan by the animals but I'm always amazed by how many other benefits they are to eating plants.

Also, does anyone else think it's crazy how outraged everyone on social media was recently about how much water it takes to grow almonds in California? It takes way more water to raise livestock, sometimes I wonder if that doesn't get talked about as much because powerful meat industry lobbyists pay to keep it that way.

Just look what happened to Oprah, she got sued for defaming hamburgers.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

#4 Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of almonds and cashews, I wonder why such thirsty crops are still being grown in such drought-prone areas. Besides wanting to work with established trees, they must need more than the water, or it would mostly be a matter of setting up tree nut farms in places with a lot of rainfall. It's not easy to find places with plenty of sunlight, a long growing season, a mild climate, and plenty of water. But if they grow more easily in other parts of the world, I think I would choose to buy imported almonds. And I don't think I would have much patience for anyone urging me to buy American on principle.
Naturebound, David3 and CricketVS like this.
#5 Old 11-12-2015, 02:41 AM
Veggie Recycler

Thanks for the info. I should definitely try to start eating Fava beans and chestnuts. I totally forgot almonds were such water suckers, it makes a good argument for choosing hemp milk instead. Glad to see chickpeas are drought friendly, they're one of my favorites. Same for mango.
David3 likes this.
#6 Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 AM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
You missed a critical fact. Nutrient/calorie density. A pound of lettuce is less nutrient/calorie dense than a pound of steak.

I am not saying you're wrong, but anyone reading this that isn't already veg*n is going to see this flaw and dismiss the article.

Anyone who compares lettuce to steak is actually making a false comparison, though...I mean let's talk about legumes and quinoa, plant based oils, and other nutrient dense plants. Lettuce is a silly thing to compare to steak, but it's right where someone culturally stuck in 1950 will automatically go to, thinking of meat, potatoes and iceburg lettuce.
#7 Old 01-16-2016, 10:38 AM

This is good information to know. I'm also trying to shop at farmer's markets and local farmers more often because it reduces the amount of waste from things like fuel from transportation. Buying locally also reduces the amount of time the food has to travel so it can be more fresh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page