VeggieBoards banner

What can I use to substitute Worcestershire sauce?

10K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  daffodil 
#1 ·
I'd like to make a homemade Hot N Spicy Chex Mix but all the recipes I've found call for Worcestershire sauce and I don't have a veg version. Is there anything else I can use? Thanks!!

#6 ·
I use Annie's worcestershire sauce. I get it from Whole Foods.

If you can't find any in the regular groceries, you might want to try there (if you have one near you; I'm in Illinois, too, and there are three that I can get to without too much trouble, although one is much closer than the rest).

#7 ·
My vegan Worcestershire has a wizard on it, haha. I can send you a bottle if you want!

ingredients read: apple cider vinegar, tamari, molasses, water, wheat syrup, salt, lemon juice, ginger, tamarind, cayenne, garlic, ****ake mushrooms, allspice, cloves, orange and lemon extract, natural smoke flavor, and onion oil.

#10 ·
I was just coming here to say KROGER too!! Check any "generic store brand" because many are made by the same company and some are, some aren't - read-read-read the labels. A couple other store-brands that are vegan, I just don't know what stores...

There is also an Asian brand called "Bulldog" that is vegan, you can find it at most Asian markets.

Seriously - way cheaper than specially made health-food/Whole Foods store stuff and tastes SO MUCH better than that Annies stuff - blech!

#12 ·
Vegan Worcestershire Sauce

6 tbsp water

6 tbsp brown rice syrup

1/4 cup tamari

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp barley malt syrup

1 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp garlic granules

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

tiny pinch of ground cloves

tiny pinch of onion granules

Method

Place all the ingredients in a blender, bowl or jar with a lid. Blend, whisk or shake until the mixture is smooth and the powders are well incorporated. Store in the fridge; this keeps well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.