Vegan Yorkshire puddings with out egg replacer? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-14-2009, 12:28 PM

I was wondering whether it would be possible to make vegan Yorkshire Puds without egg replacer powder? I have some silken tofu.

?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM

I don't really have an answer for you, but isn't it the eggs that makes Yorkshire pudding what it is? Have you tried searching for alternative recipes online?

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#3 Old 03-14-2009, 01:35 PM

I have tried searching and one or two recipes don't call for egg replacer, but call for things like plain soy yoghurt.
#4 Old 03-14-2009, 01:44 PM

do you not want to try something like that then? I'm not sure, but isn't the texture similar between silken tofu or yogurt?

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
#5 Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM

I did a search, and your own other post came up too, from the 3rd. It looks like others have tried it, maybe just go down through the list here:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&rlz=1I7ACGW

#6 Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 PM

I might give it a go tomorrow, silken tofu is often used as an egg replacer, so I'll see what happens.
#7 Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 AM

It's getting the things to rise up the side of the tin I have trouble with. I can get them to rise part way up the side but also in the middle, and I suspect making them rise up the side but not in the middle involves defying the laws of physics at some point... If anyone discovers a decent vegan Yorkshire Pudding technique I would be most interested!
#8 Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

Here's a good recipe that lets you choose whatever egg replacer you want to use; powder, tofu, arrowroot, whatever:

This works a treat. Serves 4.

1 cup white SR flour

1 cup wholemeal SR flour (or use plain flour and add baking powder)

1 tsp salt

egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs (in your case, you'd use 100gm of silken tofu)

1 cup soya milk

1 cup water

knob of solid white vegetable fat

Heat oven to maximum temperature. Melt the vegetable fat in a large baking

tray in the hot oven until piping hot.

Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together. Blend the Egg replacer/tofu with the water. Gradually add the water and soya milk and mix till smooth. Pour into piping hot tin and bake for 20-25 mins, until golden brown on top.

Egg replacers: http://www.vegansociety.com/food/cat...ry/eggfree.php
#9 Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwenna View Post

It's getting the things to rise up the side of the tin I have trouble with. I can get them to rise part way up the side but also in the middle, and I suspect making them rise up the side but not in the middle involves defying the laws of physics at some point... If anyone discovers a decent vegan Yorkshire Pudding technique I would be most interested!

The secret is the super-super hot oven and tin. Everthing needs to be piping hot and the tin needs to be filled quickly and put back into the oven as fast as possible. Even then you'll get a good rise but it won't be as high as egg puds.
#10 Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM

As it happens I didn't make any, but that recipe looks good MrFalafel!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page