cups? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-28-2003, 05:07 PM

A lot of the recipes i come across on the internet state the ingrediants in cups but i have no idea what a cup is. I can only weigh ingrediants in grams. Is there any way to convert from cups to grams?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2003, 05:08 PM

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm

It says that 1cu(USA)=229.92grams, but it's an online calculator.
#3 Old 11-28-2003, 05:18 PM
Banned

it depends on the density of the ingredient in question

why can't you measure in cups?
#4 Old 11-28-2003, 05:20 PM

I don't think that one can exchange cups for grams since cups is a measurement of volume and grams is a measurement of mass.

try this

1 cup is 250 ml

1 tsp is 5 ml

1 T is 15 ml
#5 Old 11-28-2003, 06:22 PM

I can't measure in cups cos, well basically, I have no idea what a cup is (I live in the UK and I'm pretty sure we don't use cups).

Thanks for your help.
#6 Old 11-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post

I can't measure in cups cos, well basically, I have no idea what a cup is (I live in the UK and I'm pretty sure we don't use cups).

Thanks for your help.

Ok, Joanne. You've opened a real can of worms here.

I have discussed this with Kreeli in a previous thread.

First off, it is incorrect/misleading to say that you do not use cups in the UK at the present time. The fact of the matter is that it is that it is illegal to use "cups" or other "English" measures in sale or trade in the UK. You must use metric, or you can be charged with a crime. The Common Market, and all that! This is a part of George Orwell's dark prophecy that did come true. The horror! The horror!

Second, even assuming we could turn the clock back 20 years when it was still legal to use the "English" system in the UK (note the major irony here), there is another aspect to the problem. The British (also known as the Imperial) gallon was/is 4.5459631 (metric) litres, whereas the US gallon is 3.785306 litres. That is, the US gallon is only about 83 percent the size of the British/Imperial gallon.

Now, despite the above, the US still uses the "English" measuring system, which means 4 quarts to the gallon, two pints to the quart, two cups to the pint--hence 16 cups to the gallon. But since the British/Imperial gallon is not the same as the US gallon, accordingly, the British/Imperial cup is 0.2841227 litres, or 284 mL, while the US cup is 0.2365816 litres, or 237 mL. Again, only about 83 percent as big.

Third, what I have told you is the exact truth. Yet there are those who find this all too complicated, so they will misrepresent the truth and tell you that a "cup" is 250mL, exactly 1/4th of a litre. Isn't that convenient? If only it were true.

Fourth, the above only applies to liquid measures. Also, there are other types of "cups"--for example, coffee cups and breakfast cups. The standard measuring cup in the US measures 8 fluid ounces, but coffee cups are usually 5 fluid ounces. So, if you buy a 4 cup coffee maker, it will make 20 fluid ounces of coffee, not 32.

Fifth, fluid ounces are also different in the US vs. Britain. There are 160 fluid ounces in the Imperial gallon, but only 128 in the US gallon, and these ounces are not equal either. 8 ounces to the US cup, 10 ounces to the Imperial/British cup.

Have I succeeded in confusing you yet?
#7 Old 11-28-2003, 10:30 PM

I do my conversions with Google.

Search for "one cup in milliliters ="

#8 Old 11-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Kiz

"Cups" are the size of one of those old fashioned tea cups, if you don't have any measuring cups on hand.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 11-28-2003, 11:16 PM

But wait, it gets even more confusing. Not all cups are the same, even in the US. two different measuring cups from two different sets might measure different amounts. there is no standard when it comes to most cheap measuring cups...

true story: I ordered 12 oz paper cups from two different companies, and there was a 2 ounce difference between the two.

always use the same measuring cups for the entire recipe.

it really doesn't matter so much what system you use, so long as you use the same system for the entire recipe so your proportions are consistent throughout.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page