Frozen fruit- how do YOU use it? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Beyond making smoothies, I'm not sure how else I can use frozen fruit. Fresh fruit tends to perish before I get to it all, and I don't like most "fresh" fruit this time of year. I frequently find good deals on frozen organic fruit, too, so I'd love to hear how others use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

in muffins and pancakes and waffles, nuked and served with yogurt and granola or porridge, hot in pies and crumbles and flans and whatnot... put into icecube trays before freezing icecubes just for fun, eaten straight out of the packet... the usual ways.
#3 Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM

Blueberries in waffles.

I don't use frozen fruit much, it's too expensive and since I don't like smoothies...pretty useless to me. Fresh blueberries, however, are just as expensive (if not more so) than the fresh ones and don't taste nearly as good in waffles as the freshly frozen ones.

#4 Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM

Aside from smoothies, frozen fruit is also good in oatmeal, cereal, icecream, muffins and yoghurt parfaits.
#5 Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 PM

I use frozen bananas to make vegan choc chip bannana muffins, pancakes or smoothies.
#6 Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM

i use whatever fruit i have frozen in oatmeal a lot. you defrost it, put it in the blender and blend smooth. add nuts or nut butter. i use 2/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup oat bran. i need 4 cups of liquid for this. whatever is blended in the blender needs to = 4 cups. i usually use some coconut milk as well to get it to 4 cups. just add the 4 cups to the 1 and 1/3 cups oat mixture and mix well, let sit overnight and there ya go--breakfast!
#7 Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM

Smedley, that sounds delicious!

Thanks for all the ideas so far, everyone.
#8 Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I eat it out of the bag. :3

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#9 Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I found some really great frozen pineapple recently. My boyfriend ate most of it right out of the bag.
#10 Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Give peas a chance

I eat frozen mango chunks out of the bag. They are like little popsicles. I use frozen berries for dessert sauces.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#11 Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 AM

The bulk of my frozen fruit does go to smoothies. The rest we use in waffles, pancakes or baked goods. Berries in particular are very good defrosted and then smooshed up in place of jam on toast. It's much less sugar-y and quite delicious.
#12 Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM

In fruit salads, I use the microwave to rapidly defrost frozen berries, and add fresh apples, oranges, bananas, melon, peaches, etc., vegan yogurt, ground flax, and sometimes nuts. It's really delicious.
#13 Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBirds View Post

The bulk of my frozen fruit does go to smoothies. The rest we use in waffles, pancakes or baked goods. Berries in particular are very good defrosted and then smooshed up in place of jam on toast. It's much less sugar-y and quite delicious.

fruit salad..waffles...bakery goods...pancakes...out of the bag..for everything
#14 Old 02-07-2009, 04:42 PM

April! Hey! Where ya been, man?

Smoothies, oatmeal and muffins are the man ones for me. You can make a nice sauce to go with ice cream, waffles, desserts, etc. too.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#15 Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM

This is lesser known, but frozen fruits are fabulous natural food dyes for pastries, frosting, etc. Cherries make the darkest dye- I just heat a couple up in the microwave and strain out the juice. It works great, especially now around Valentine's Day for heart-shaped cookies. I also like ta toss a few cherries/raspberries/blueberries to color your lemonade (you can even let the berries float around in there and drink it that way).

And when St. Patty's rolls around, a small pinch o' frozen/canned spinach added to frosting or dough easily colors it green.

Peace.
#16 Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

This is lesser known, but frozen fruits are fabulous natural food dyes for pastries, frosting, etc. Cherries make the darkest dye- I just heat a couple up in the microwave and strain out the juice. It works great, especially now around Valentine's Day for heart-shaped cookies. I also like ta toss a few cherries/raspberries/blueberries to color your lemonade (you can even let the berries float around in there and drink it that way).

And when St. Patty's rolls around, a small pinch o' frozen/canned spinach added to frosting or dough easily colors it green.

Peace.

Wow I never thought about that! *stores fact in brain until Christmas cookie season* How much of the flavor is preserved in the frosting?
#17 Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM

I love having a bowl of mixed frozen fruit, especially during the summer!
#18 Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Fruit crumble! My favourite is this Peach Blueberry Crumble. (If you decide to try it, a few tips: cut the topping recipe in half, or you'll have more topping than fruit! And you don't need to use 1/2 cup sugar in the filling, fruit is already so sweet).
#19 Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimsweetie401 View Post

Wow I never thought about that! *stores fact in brain until Christmas cookie season* How much of the flavor is preserved in the frosting?

Generally not too much, depending on the fruit juice. Usually, you'd need practically a fourth of a cup added to really make an impact flavor-wise...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page