Miso Substitute? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Beginner

I have looked up and found a few suggestions on substitutes, that is if your using a small amount that doesnt replace the main taste of the dish. Some suggest sesame tahini, veg broth, or soy sauce. Being that I have never bought miso before, I havent a clue which would work best. I would purchase the real thing, but nowhere near sells it. I only need it for a couple recipes which call for around a tablespoon. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Beginner

Flavorwise, soy sauce is closest. If you are needing flavor and texture, soy sauce and tahini would probably work.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Beginner

I understand marmite/vegemite isn't a bad substitute for miso. I have no trouble finding miso (in 500 varieties no less) fortunately, so I haven't tried to sub before.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Kiz
Beginner

I'd second vegemite/marmite too. Not quite the same taste but it has the texture, saltiness and richness you need. Miso is such it's own thing, and so good, I'd still grab some if you see it in the future.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Be careful of the Marmite. I hate Marmite, but LOVE miso. I understand that both are an acquired taste, but I never managed to acquire the taste for Marmite. There are lots if different types of miso though, and some are stronger than others, and probably closer to Marmite.

If you already like Marmite though, then try it!

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Beginner

I would think that marmite might provide the depth of flavor that miso does. It can also be mail ordered if you can't find it. A little also goes a long way, it's much stronger than miso.

I use miso, along with lemon juice, often to replace cheese, especially parmesan. So lemon juice, in some capacity, might be helpful.

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#7 Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I think I'm going to have just as much bad luck with finding marmite here as miso. Now that you all have me feeling anxious to try it, I'm just going to go ahead and order some. It would probably get to me faster than the next chance I have to driving over an hour to the nearest city that has more than a walmart! Thanks!
#8 Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Miso is a good investment though because it will last FOREVER, if sealed airtight in a jar or tupperwear, in your fridge...
#9 Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Miso is a good investment though because it will last FOREVER, if sealed airtight in a jar or tupperwear, in your fridge...

.. unless of course you use it at the rate I do

#10 Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Beginner

I use it pretty frequently, but nt a lot at any one time - and I buy it in pretty largish tubs that still tend to take quite a while to go through...
#11 Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Will it really last that long? I had a tub that I tossed that was at least 5 months old. I should look into it and see how long it actually does last cause they only sell it in Huge tubs.
#12 Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Will it really last that long? I had a tub that I tossed that was at least 5 months old. I should look into it and see how long it actually does last cause they only sell it in Huge tubs.

It's fermented and will pretty much last forever. I just finally bought a big tub because it was on sale, but I normally buy it in bulk cause it's cheaper, and just buy a little at a time, and it seemed like I was always either buying miso or needing miso.

#13 Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Beginner

Alright, I tried searching for an online store that sells it. It seems alot of the miso products are soups. Am I searching for a paste or liquid, red or white, mild or hot? What brand do you all suggest, that I would find used more often. I have a few soup recipes that call for it and don't specify. Alot of the brands are in Japanese, so that makes it difficult too. Also it can be made from different things, like soybeans, rice and barley...does it matter which kind? I'm such a miso newbie!
#14 Old 01-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Beginner

I buy miso paste. I've never seen liquid. They do make it powdered like instant soup. That's definitely not what you want.

Different misos are stronger/weaker tasting and used for different things. I like both red and white miso, white tends to be more mellow in flavor. If you're a miso noob you might want to start with a mild white, and then work your way up to a stronger one. Miso is traditionally made with soybeans, though the rice and barley misos are nice too. I really haven't met a miso I didn't like! Maybe I'm not the best one to give advice. haha.

#15 Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Beginner

I was thinking mild would be a good start. I am not real picky about trying new flavors in my foods, but my husband and kiddo can be.
#16 Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Beginner

The mild is kind of a pale yellow color. In my mind, if it doesn't spefcify, I think mild. That's what I'd go with.

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page