VeggieBoards banner

Help! Vegan pumpkin pie and pecan pie

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jennifer89 
#1 ·
Ok so i want a vegan soy free pumpkin pie recipe and pecan recipe. Also a vegan soy free whipped topping recipe would be good too. I have tried the corn starch method in pumpkin pie 3 times now. 2 different methods and every time they boil in the oven, sometimes never set up and always have a horrible skin and the texture is not to my liking. Please, i am DONE with the corn starch pies. I was thinking i could use agar or flour, but i was wondering if anyone has already tried this so i can learn from your mistakes before i make my own and waste ingredients. With the pecan pie i would usually make the poor mans pie with pinto beans, but i am the only one in my family that doesn't really care for it, its blindingly sweet and the texture isn't the normal pecan pie texture. I was also thinking of using agar for the pie. And finaly the whipped topping. I have tried many different things with coconut milk. Yesterday i tried a recipe using corn starch, agar, agave and coconut milk and about 5 steps of cooking, blending, cooling, blending, and more blending. In the end, it had a powdery after taste and tasted overwhelmingly of coconut (Not what i like). I have also tried cashew creme where i take dates, water and cashews and blend in my blender. Its tasty, but tastes like cashews. So, does anyone have any recipes and experience with the agar, vegan soy free pecan pie, pumpkin pie and whipped topping?

#2 ·
Well, you've shot down everything I was going to suggest.

If you are wanting an EXACT replica of any of these lacto-ovo dishes, you will be out of luck. Be more open to slightly different flavors.

You can whip coconut milk with a CO2 whip cream charger and it's perfect. But yes, a slight coconut flavor. And the cashew-date version? Yep, it's going to taste slightly of cashews. Is either of these tastes a bad thing?

I do the "cornstarch" pumpkin pie and have never had a problem. I make it 10 or 12 times during the Holiday season each year. Maybe it's your oven, or the recipe? THIS RECIPE is the one I use. (I would sub almond milk or another rich milk for the soymilk)

Pecan Pie? I have a recipe, but it uses tofu. HERE. Are you allergic to soy or don't like using it or what? Trying to think what could be subbed.

#3 ·
The pumpkin pie recipe on this page http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1435893.htm (which, yes, is cornstarch based) turned out well for me. Bryanna's recipes are very reliable, so I'd say the pecan pie is worth trying, too.

I think you're out of luck if you mind your whipped topping tasting like coconut or cashews and you're avoiding soy. I've heard good things about soyatoo topping, but obviously it's soy based.

#6 ·
neat, i have been looking for a soy free pumpkin pie recipe too:

these are the ones I am going to try soon:

1/2 small pumpkin (1 makes two pies)

1 1/8 cup nut milk (I made a macadamia/ brazil nut blend)

3/4 agave, or more to taste (I didn't have enough, so I had to substitute a bit of honey, you can also substitute sugar)

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt

two knobs of fresh ginger, crushed or finely chopped

1/4 tsp allspice or cloves

3 tsp ground flax

I picked out a small organic pumpkin at the farmer's market for this pie. First split it into fourths, seed it (save the seeds - the are an excellent source of iron, zinc and magnesium) and bake the slices on a baking sheet for 45 minutes at 450 degrees. I made the nut milk while the pumpkin was baking (the recipe for which can be found linked above). Reset the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees.

After letting the pumpkin cool, remove the skin and put the pulp in a blender with the chilled nut milk, the spices, salt, vanilla, flax, and agave and give it a quick blend. Taste the concoction to make sure the sweetness is to your liking. Then, pour the blended golden mush into the pie crust, and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

(from: http://alucidspoonful.blogspot.com/2...thout-soy.html)

Pumpkin Pie Filling:

One 15oz can pumpkin puree (just get the one that's plain pumpkin, or make your own puree if you are so inclined)

1/2 cup coconut cream (do not shake a can of regular coconut milk...I used the Thai Kitchen brand...and skim the cream off the top of the can)

1/2 cup maple sugar

1/2 t nutmeg

1/2 t ginger

1/2 t cinnamon

4 1/2 t of Ener-G-egg replacer mixed with three T of rice milk or water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer and pour into the pie shell. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool or refrigerate before serving (I let mine cool overnight in the refrigerator, which I think helps it to slice better). Also, I think that I mixed up the egg replacer with the rice milk too soon. The pie would probably rise higher if I blended the rest of the ingredients first, then mixed up the egg replacer and added that last, transferring to the pie shell and oven quickly to aid in leavening. Makes one 8" pie. (from: http://angkantz.blogspot.com/2007/11...ent-happy.html)

Good luck, let me know how they turn out if you try them!

PS i have not found any whipped topping recipes so far, was thinking of making some pumpkin ice cream or vanilla to serve mine with instead.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Green - what makes your pies "set up"? Are they pudding-like or firm?

Also, I didn't know egg-replacer made things "rise"? And is it more of a cake-like recipe since you want it to rise? Just curious, 'cause these sound good and I'd like to know what to expect.
Im not too sure, like i wrote before, i haven't tried these yet (no oven, but moving in 10 days to a house with one! baking season open
).

i actually wasn't going to use egg replacer in that one recipe, b/c i hate the stuff and have had success with so many others, considering maybe a flax/water or maybe whipped banana, experiment time.

From the looks of the first recipe, it will probably be more pudding like.

If anyone tries these,please let us know how it goes.

Also, I used to make pies with sweetened condensed milk that kicked booty, has anyone tried to make s.c.m. with a nut/oat/rice milk?

#9 ·
I don't have a recipe, but I normaly work off of non-vegan recipes to creat my vegan ones. If your worried about the condenced milk, all you have to do is simmer soy milk for a long time (making sure it doesn't curdle) so that lots of the water evaperates out, or taking soy milk and adding powdered soy milk to it.

For cream: http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...t=products.asp I recommend the boxed soy whip, so that you can whip it up to your own consistancy. The canned version is a bit runny and melts quickly, so the box is deffently recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.