taking the bitter out of greens - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-07-2003, 11:28 PM

In a previous thread, I asked for suggestions on how to cook greens (kale, collards, mustards, etc) for my 7yr old. I got some wonderful advice, so thanks. I made a stir fry with kale, garlic and purple onions. I loved it, but it was still too bitter for my little one. Borealis mentioned in the previous thread that a friend used orange juice and raisins to offset the bitterness, but there was no recipe provided. So, if anyone knows how to remove the bitterness or at least offset it, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2003, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarealskei View Post

In a previous thread, I asked for suggestions on how to cook greens (kale, collards, mustards, etc) for my 7yr old. I got some wonderful advice, so thanks. I made a stir fry with kale, garlic and purple onions. I loved it, but it was still too bitter for my little one. Borealis mentioned in the previous thread that a friend used orange juice and raisins to offset the bitterness, but there was no recipe provided. So, if anyone knows how to remove the bitterness or at least offset it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi, I just put greens in some water and boil them with a lid on untill they're tender. My kale doesn't come out bitter.
#3 Old 11-10-2003, 09:56 AM

I know this isn't what you asked but eating food that is bitter is really healthful, bitters are great for digestion, food absoption and fat metabolism among other things. Maybe you can slowly introduce them into your daughter's diet so she can get used to the taste.
#4 Old 11-10-2003, 10:01 AM

I used this recipe (without the liquid smoke), and it was very good.
#5 Old 11-10-2003, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I used this recipe (without the liquid smoke), and it was very good.

I remember my mother putting sugar in the greens when she cooked them, perhaps that's what took the bitter taste out. My daughter is supposed to avoid sugar, but I wonder if I put just a smidgen of fructose in the greens, if that would be okay.

That recipe, christy, does sound nummy! Thanks.
#6 Old 11-10-2003, 10:48 PM

If you don't mind salt, maybe salting them before cooking and draining off the bitter juices, this works for cucumbers and eggplants...

Or when cooking/steaming them be sure not to lift the lid...

I've also heard that bruising (from washing) makes them bitter, too...

These are all (maybe a bit strange sounding) things my mother does, I dunno if they will work for you or not...

Good Luck...
#7 Old 11-10-2003, 11:09 PM

Is it all the greens that are too bitter or maybe it's only one?
#8 Old 11-11-2003, 12:21 PM

All the greens (I don't know where you classify spinach - those are okay uncooked for her). At this point, I am open to any all ideas, weird sounding or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page