Do pretzels have an egg white/egg wash glaze? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-05-2003, 06:48 PM

Do you think it is possible that traditional crunchy pretzels have an egg glaze? The shiny crunchy coating is a bit suspect isn't it? And in my reading in the past when I thought my food allergy might be egg, I could have sworn I read about this someplace...I eat eggs of course, but wanted to ask for the benefit of the other members here who might be getting them and not knowing it...

Has anyone seen any reference to this before, and do you think it's possible?

I had some this morning and thought, wow, sure seems like it could be egg white...Oh, and another question, does anyone know where on the net can I order whole wheat/whole grain pretzels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2003, 03:40 PM

Actually, not always.

I know from making bread that one can achieve a shiny hard crust from brushing it with plain old water. Also, if one is to make homemade pretzels they are boiled before baking under high heat.

I'm not sure of where you can order whole grain pretzels online. Snyders of Hanover have a whole grain variety that is widely availble in a standard grocery.

I'm fairly certain they are vegan.
#3 Old 11-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Banned

If pretzels do have egg in them, they better list it on the ingredients!!!

#4 Old 11-06-2003, 05:53 PM

If you mean the shiny dark brown coating (at least that's what pretzels look like in Vienna, where they come from), that comes from boiling baked goods in a lye solution prior to baking. At home, you don't have to use lye, you can do it by using a baking soda solution.

#5 Old 11-06-2003, 06:16 PM

a lot of times its just oil

but it can be an egg wash

the ingredients would definitely have to list it as people who are allergic to eggs could die from eating that product if it contained eggs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page