Throw away carrots with mould? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 AM

I have never had carrots get mouldy before, usually they keep for ages in the fridge. Sometimes, they dry out a little. But never mould! Until now. I bought a bag of carrots about two days ago and was to lazy to transfer them to a tupperware. Well, I guess the bag they were in was too wet or something because now, they are really mouldy! Some just have a few black spots but some are totally black. It's gross.

I am wondering though if this is just a surface issue? If I scrape them with a carrot scraper, would they be safe to eat? Or should I just accept the loss and go buy new ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM

I don't like to eat moldy food. If you wash them well and cut the molded part away, it may be fine though.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Toss them (or try to return them to the store where you got them - it's obviously a quality issue if they are this moldy in 2 days). You can't just "scrape off" mold - the visible mold is just part of the problem. Toxins created by the mold can penetrate deeper into the food. It's not worth it, just throw them away.
#4 Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Moldy carrots? Throw them out! Moldy foods should NOT be eaten, with the possible exception of moo cheese, in which case you can remove the moldy part and eat the rest. If you don't eat moo cheese, then you don't have to worry about that. Just throw out ANYTHING you see with mold.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Darn, I hate wasting food. This has never happened to me with carrots before. I guess I should just throw them out and buy some more :-(
#6 Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 AM

The suggestion to return them is one I'd go with.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 AM

If you plan on buying more carrots anyway, perhaps you should take the moldy ones back to the store and show the manager; even if you don't expect to get your money back, the manager should at least know about it. If the manager gives you attitude about it (not saying he/she WILL, but it could happen), maybe you should get your carrots elsewhere!

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 AM

They might not want to give you your money back, but if you have a reciept, they should give you a fresh bag of carrots.
#9 Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 PM

i'm notorious for just cutting off the mold--but they're right, that's actually bad for you. Mold fungus leeches nutrients and often gives off some toxins--what you see is JUST a part of the breeding structures of the mold which only shows up after the mold is very well established--i.e. the mold is in a lot more of the vegetable than waht you see....
#10 Old 08-03-2008, 02:29 PM

Dear god yes throw them away!!!
#11 Old 08-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

It's okay, Brandon, the mold can't get to you.
#12 Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

It's okay, Brandon, the mold can't get to you.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha... funniest posts around here in AGES!
#13 Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM

Can you tell me what mold on carrots looks like? Is it just a grey film on them? I'm doing a juice fast to get rid of systemic candida. The juice carrots I bought are rubbery and covered with a grey film. Each time I drink a juice from those carrots my symptoms of candida flare up. I have been peeling them, hoping to get all the bad parts off. I'm disabled and can't leave the house and had these delivered to my house. I would not have picked these out at the store myself had I been at the store looking at this rubbery, greyish carrots. Unfortunately, my help only goes to the store once a week. So I kind of was stuck with these carrots. So is carrot mold a grey film covering them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page