TVP taste - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Beginner

How do I get tvp to taste like ground beef? I have used it in chili and meatloaf but it doesn't really have any taste. Help! TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Beginner

I think you'll need to use beef grease.

I'm guessing that's not a good option... TVP is meant to replicate the texture of meat, not the taste. Just use a lot of flavorings and spices in whatever you're cooking it in to give the whole dish flavour.
#3 Old 11-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Banned

When cooking seitan, the cookbooks say to use tomato juice to make the gluten taste more like beef than chicken. I don't know if that holds true for TVP.
#4 Old 11-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Beginner

dont know if you are vegan or not, but there is a vegan boullion out there at wild oats/whole foods that i soak mine in to rehydrate before putting in things like sloppy joes etc. there are also not-meat broths in aseptic containers tho i dont buy them so do not know if they are vegan. but, they also have spice packets, that from what i can tell, they are vegan--stuff like, fajita mix, chili, sloppy joe and on and on--so add this to the watter you are using to rehydrate the tvp. works for me!!
#5 Old 11-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Beginner

aseptic containers

Okay, what does that mean?

spice packets, that from what i can tell, they are vegan--stuff like, fajita mix, chili, sloppy joe and on and on--so add this to the watter you are using to rehydrate the tvp. works for me!!

are these packets only found at hfs like wild oats? What part of the store are they located in?

We are working at becoming complete vegetarians right now. Long term goal of veganism.

Thanks for the replies!
#6 Old 11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinet47 View Post

aseptic containers

Okay, what does that mean?

spice packets, that from what i can tell, they are vegan--stuff like, fajita mix, chili, sloppy joe and on and on--so add this to the watter you are using to rehydrate the tvp. works for me!!

are these packets only found at hfs like wild oats? What part of the store are they located in?

We are working at becoming complete vegetarians right now. Long term goal of veganism.

Thanks for the replies!

they are in a couple of different sections--and they are in the major grocery stores here as well as the hfs

aseptic containers are shelf stable--lots of soymilk sold like that. tofu as well
#7 Old 11-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Beginner

I use tomato sauce / vegan Worchestershire / and tamari in my flavorings.

I just got some Vegimite - and I'm going to experiment with that (reminds me of the flavor of beef)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page