What do you put in your vegetable soup? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Tonight I'm making vegetable soup for a (very late - I too a nap ) dinner. To a Better than Bouillon broth I'm adding black eyed peas, barley, peas, carrots, potatoes, celery, green beans, and corn. What do you put in yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 AM

OMG!!! I love soup. Good thread.

Anyways, I use anything in my frig that's about to go bad. My mom calls this "kitchen sink veggie soup." But my veggie soup has a kick. The base of my soup is Better than Bouillon (I use the vegan one), 4 to 6 cups water, a can of tomato sauce or juice (8oz), and old bay seasoning to taste. Then add whatever veggies you have. Simmer until veggies are tender (about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the veggies). I usually use celery, bok choy (I can't eat cabbage), spinach, potatoes, green beans, mushrooms, sometimes carrots (I'm not crazy for cooked carrots), bell pepper, onions, garlic, ect. So yummy. And it's a good way to use up veggies and save money. Oh, and it freezes well
#3 Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Kiz

Anything in the fridge that needs to be used. Throw the old veggies in with "the usual" (below) and you have your "end of week" soup.

Soup mix - split peas, barely, beans, lentils; stock (I use Massell "chicken" usually); bay leaves; salt and pepper; herbs - rosemary, bay leaves, parsley, oregano or marjoram, whatever herbs are to hand really, a splash of red wine if it's around. Veggies I like in soup include celery, turnips, parsnips, carrots and potatoes. Onions.

Ditto to the using up old veggies, saving money and freezing. Soup is good food.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#4 Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 AM

Soup is good food indeed! I could eat soup every day.

I love finely shredded cabbage in mine.

I have been known to throw my leftovers from Italian restaurants into the pot as well. The pasta and sauce gives it a very nice flavor.If I happen to have a little salsa or spaghetti sauce in the fridge, that goes in too.

Oh yeah, I sometimes add a jar of pizza sauce. Very tasty.
#5 Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM

yeah, I like thick dumplings and big, big chunks of celery in mine
#6 Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

yeah, I like thick dumplings and big, big chunks of celery in mine

#7 Old 07-09-2008, 07:48 PM

I love to make minestrone soup. I put in kidney beans, chickpeas, onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, carrots, zucchini, potatoes, canned tomatoes, pasta, and vegetable broth.
#8 Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 AM

I usually throw in whatever vegetables in my fridge that would go together, spices, and then either beans or 1/4- 1/2 cup of some rice mix or alphabet pasta.
#9 Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM

I usually saute chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and carrots first. Then I keep adding chopped veggies (cabbage, eggplant, summer squash, potatoes, etc). Next I add a package of mixed frozen veggies (the kind with peas, carrots, corn, green beans). Next I add barley. Finally, I add tomato sauce (or pasta sauce) and enough water to cover. By this time, I stop. The pot is full. My family tease me about my soups. They tell me that my soups are really stews!
#10 Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM

ugh, now I really want soup. Except it's at least 97 degrees outside..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page