Best starter for a dinner party? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 AM

I am cooking a dinner party for about 4 people in two weeks time. I know what I am cooking for the main course and dessert but am struggling with what to make for a starter.

It has to be very impressive and gourmet. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 AM

what other items are you making? its nice to use similar flavors that can relate to whats coming next, like if you were making an asian type stir fry as a main, serve a miso veg soup, wontons, tempura etc

or some general starters good for summer are: cold soups (gazpacho is yum!), tabouleh, bruschetta
#3 Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 AM

+1 on what's the rest of the menu. Not all starters go with the rest of the meal.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 07-01-2008, 12:23 PM

OK, for main course I am making a porcini stroganoff, served over pasta. For dessert I am making a mango and blueberry torte with vanilla and coconut cream.
#5 Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM

I think since the main meal and dessert will be fairy rich, a light starter would probably be best. A light salad of mesculin or other mixed baby greens, maybe with some pomegranite seeds, slivered almonds and a pomegranite vinegrette. Serve it on chilled plates for the fancy restaurant feel.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 PM

ya, a salad is good, since it seems that their aren't too many veggies in the main course. if you want something more bite sized or hand held, ive been making salad wraps that are really popular with my friends: take a large piece of romaine or kale, pile in your normal salad ingredients (i.e. carrots, nuts, tomatoes etc), drizzle a bit of oil or dressing and wrap up like a burrito (fold sides in and roll snug).
#7 Old 07-01-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Veggie View Post

OK, for main course I am making a porcini stroganoff, served over pasta. For dessert I am making a mango and blueberry torte with vanilla and coconut cream.

wow, sounds delectable so far

do you like fried plantains? they are my favorite snack item and pretty easy to make. check out this recipe: Fried Plantain Cracker with Mango Salsa
#8 Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 PM

My favourite starter is a version of Gado Gado that I have in a cookbook at home. It appears differently if you google it, but this version is great:

Combine 1/4 chinese cabbage, 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, 1 cup bean sprouts, 2 sliced green onions, 1 chopped cucumber and 100g cubed tofu in a bowl.

Make a dressing of 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, 1 small red chilli chopped, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.

Mix the dressing through the salad and then serve the salad spooned into a lettuce leaf per person.

This recipe serves 4 people.

YUM!
#9 Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 PM

^^sounds great! maybe even better if the tofu is baked first for firmness and then marinated in the dressing a while before serving. WF's had spoiled me for tofu. they bake & marinate all their prepared tofu's. their sweet chili tofu is insanely good. it made a tofu lover outta me...
#10 Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

^^sounds great! maybe even better if the tofu is baked first for firmness and then marinated in the dressing a while before serving. WF's had spoiled me for tofu. they bake & marinate all their prepared tofu's. their sweet chili tofu is insanely good. it made a tofu lover outta me...

Mmmm, you've got me there. I'm going to try that next time I make it!
#11 Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

wow, sounds delectable so far

do you like fried plantains? they are my favorite snack item and pretty easy to make. check out this recipe: Fried Plantain “Cracker” with Mango Salsa

That looks great, although I have never eaten and wouldn't even know where to buy a 'plantain' in the UK. Am I right in thinking that a plantain is similar to a banana?
#12 Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 AM

A plantain looks indeed like a big green banana, but requires cooking (unlike a banana). You can easily find plantains in an Asian store or supermarket.

I'll echo the suggestion for a salad of sorts for a starter - I think it would balance the meal out. You could make tiny salad wraps with crepes/pancakes/tortillas and serve with a light dressing or even mango sauce, or other fruity sauce (raspberry?). A fruit salad would be another idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page